Why is Harvard so small?

<p>Ok is it just me or is the harvard undergraduate campus really really small compared to other ivies!? I went to Yale, U Penn, Brown, and Cornell, and they were all much more vast and impressive than Harvards. Is this not a reflection of the education offered, is there a more homie feeling to it, or did i miss part of the campus?</p>

<p>You must have missed a large part of the campus. Did you think the Yard was the entire campus? The place is huge.</p>

<p>I happened not to venture much out of the immediate vicinity of Harvard Yard until my most recent business trip to Harvard, when I discovered whole streets lined with Harvard buildings that I had never seen before. To mention my perspective, I should say that I basically grew up near and on the campus of the University of Minnesota Twin Cities, one of the largest and most populated campuses in the country. I do not think Harvard has a small campus, even though it is surely smaller than that of my alma mater. </p>

<p>After edit: </p>

<p>Here is the map page from the Harvard Web site: </p>

<p><a href="http://map.harvard.edu/%5B/url%5D"&gt;http://map.harvard.edu/&lt;/a&gt;&lt;/p>

<p>I would say Harvard does have a rather 'homey' feel to it. And yes, it is much bigger. While the Yard is certainly the center of activity (at least for undergraduates), the campus expands in all directions. Many of the upperclass dorms are located by the river, near Mt. Auburn St. and one needs to walk a bit north to get to the Quad area, where more students reside. Certainly, if one walks towards the river via. JFK, one can arrive at the athletic complexes and the B-school once crossing the bridge. Do watch for the JFK school, which is located on your right as you proceed.</p>

<p>Well, the Yard is not the center of activity for undergraduates. Only frosh live there, and most of the courses meet somewhere else. It is the traditional home of the College, but the undergraduate population is far too large to fit their residence, athletic, or extracurricular activities in the Yard. </p>

<p>If you walk around the larger Harvard Square area, a very large proportion of the buildings are Harvard. Many house programs and offices, so they do not have big signs saying "Harvard", but they permit the core buildings to be more academic and student focussed.</p>

<p>Perhaps I didn't phrase it so well. Unfortunately, Harvard does not have a student center. I would say, if there's a place where MOST undergrads at least walk past on a near daily basis, it's the Yard. My student activity, I simply meant student traffic, not extra curricular activities or classes.</p>

<p>Yale is much more compact actually -- all of the dormitories are within a 2-3 minute walk of each other. At Harvard it's more like 15 minutes, which really hurts the sense of campus social life. The buildings at Yale are definitely more impressive, though.</p>

<p>posterX and his opinions... ;)</p>

<p>Anywho, again, it's really all about what you make of it at Harvard. My main social life tends to be hanging out with friends while studying and eating. For others, it's all parties -- all the time. It's really what you want out of it.</p>