Why low Quality of Life score?

<p>Does anyone know why UMD gets such a low quality of life rating (65) in the Princeton Review guide to top 373 colleges? What are the problems that lead to such a low score? I am excited by the good things, but want to know more. Thanks</p>

<p>Atmosphere on campus is great....Rt 1 in College Park, not so much. Take these ratings with a grain of salt, and make sure you focus on the things that are really important to you....and I heartily disagree w/ lalalandHarvard! UMD is not for everyone, but I would suggest that you visit campus, talk with existing students, etc. in order to make your own "quality of life" rating.</p>

<p>OP, since you mention "373 colleges", then I assume that you have an older edition of the PR book. Maryland had some issues with on campus housing. They would not guarantee housing for the full four years. But much has changed in the past few years. A HUGE new dorm has open (along with another dining hall) and more are on the way. It's possible that these housing issues played a roll in the ratings you mention. I am very happy here :)</p>

<p>
[quote]
bad neighborhood/atmosphere. If you dont have to go to UMD, then DONT GO!!!!

[/quote]
</p>

<p>oh please :rolleyes: this isn't exactly the University of Anbar Province. </p>

<p>What edition is your book? Last year was a bit of a low point for UMD's social scene. Most of the bars in downtown CP had closed and almost none of the restaurants in the northern part of CP had opened yet. Now there's some new stuff downtown and plenty of new places (Looneys, Bobby's Burgers, sweetgreen, etc) in northern CP. It's getting better for sure.</p>

<p>I am looking at the 2012 edition (it is 376 colleges, not 373, my mistake). So the big issues are dorm quality and neighborhood safety? Thanks</p>