Why would I not lie on my application?

<p>Aside from moral reasons, why would someone not lie on my application? they can't lie about grades or national ECs but do universities call and check to see that the recommendations and local or district ECs are legitimate? </p>

<p>For those who may ask, I have already sent in all of my applications and I was honest on them. </p>

<p>for starters, if your letter writers aren’t in on the con (or you aren’t lying to them too) it will seem weird that they aren’t mentioning these other things.</p>

<p>Second, they do spot check. Not every thing on everyone’s app, but they check enough to instill the fear. They still ask for contact info for someone overseeing the activity, no?</p>

<p>Keep in mind that if a lie is discovered, admission can be revoked. And if the lie is discovered even after you are on campus as an admitted student, you can be expelled. I sure would not want that hanging over my head!</p>

<p>I know of some colleges that choose a random sample and ask them to verify that they are telling the truth for ec and stuff. I belive it is the UCs.</p>

<p>I don’t know about anyone else, but my recommendations were done through Naviance and I didn’t have any control over them outside of asking for them. </p>

<p>As far as lying about ECs, I don’t think the payoff is large enough. Colleges are mostly concerned with grades and test scores. If a college was going to reject you but then decided to accept you on the basis of an EC, it would have to be a very impressive EC and there’s a chance they would try to verify it. </p>

<p>The UCs do spot checks, I’m not sure about other universities. When I applied to the UCs as a Frosh, they sent me a copy of my application, highlighted a work experience I listed, and requested documentation of the activity. When I applied for transfer to another UC, I didn’t receive any notice to verify any parts of my application even though I also listed the same work experience from my Frosh application.</p>

<p>And yes, if your accepted application is found to be fraudulent, your admissions will be rescinded.</p>

<p>@I<em>wanna</em>be_Brown
not any of my applications requested contact info of the person overseeing and of the ECs I listed. </p>

@newsie2015, oh, interesting. It was definitely on there 10 years ago (or so I thought. Maybe I’m conflating it with my med school apps)

@Iwannabe_Brown they simple wanted to know the name of the EC, how many years I was in it, and how many hours per week I spent doings things for the EC. That is how this thread question came up. The only way I would see someone getting caught, would be if

Sally ,who doesn’t play sports, listed on her Brown application that she was captain of the Red Wolf Gymnastic team.

Mary, who actually is captain of the Red Wolf gymnastic team, lists being the captain as an EC on her Brown application.

The only way Sally would get caught would be if an adcom noticed the similarity on Sally’s and Mary’s applications and not assume that the two girls were co-captains.

It’s just rather interesting how easy it would be for someone to slide though because of a lie. However, it truly isn’t a huge issue since I bet that most applicants are honest on their application.

You probably wouldn’t get caught right away, but if it ever came out years later that you lied, your degree could be revoked.

It could easily be spotchecked via the internet - most teams keep sports rosters there. If you were good enough to be recruited or for it to make a difference, you would easily be found out. Schools arent as ignorant as you think

Maybe you should read this thread…http://talk.collegeconfidential.com/college-admissions/1728109-my-friend-fabricated-his-extracurricular-activities-p1.html

What would you do, OP? (Hypothetically speaking, since you obviously don’t know this person.)

I know someone who flat out lied on their resume and sent them to several top colleges. It added up to 80 hours a week outside of school. Admissions and future employers aren’t stupid, I’m sure they see a handful of applicants like this. The funny thing is, I don’t think the applicant wrote any essays on extracurrics. That may alarm admissions. You’d think someone who does 80+ hours of volunteer/club work would have something to say about it in an essay. Anyway, I wouldn’t worry about trying to get them caught- it will only hurt your friendship. Unless you want that friendship to die off. In the long run you’ll be the honorable one!

The moral reasons are the only ones that count.

They define the type of person you are.

You will face this “dilemma” your entire life. It is VERY easy to cheat on taxes, but that doesn’t make it right. I am treasurer for our church, and it would be very easy for me to siphon off a few dollars every week. You have to have a moral backbone, though!

Here’s a very good reason not to lie: if you don’t honestly have the credentials to get into a particular school, and you are accepted there (based on the false premise that you are a high achiever) you could very likely find yourself struggling and unhappy at the school. Admissions folks know who is a likely to be a good fit for their college and if you get there and are surrounded by high-achieving, honest students who juggled a lot of extracurricular activities with their academics, you are not going to be comfortable. Put all this effort into doing your best and it will work out for you.

@albert69 Hmmm. It would be rather frustrating if it turned out that they got in and I didn’t. since some universities cap the amount of students they can accept from one high school, it would hurt to not report them. However, it isn’t my place to report my friend.

@Newsie2015, yeah, you’re probably right. One of my points with that is that right there is a reason not to lie on apps - it could put a friend in an uncomfortable position like this poster is in should they find out.

At our school, Blackboard shows every one of the clubs and teams my kids participate in. With 100 or so seniors to send paperwork on I have to think the GC probably copies that info into what she sends the colleges. If it conflicts with what the applicant claims it should raise a huge red flag to the college.