Will a letter of reccommendation from a professor help me?

<p>I have a letter of recommendation from a professor at UNC-CH who teaches courses for my intended major. </p>

<p>I think my stats are pretty average (2080 SAT, 4.0 GPA unweighted, 8 AP courses) for in state, but I’m applying from out of state(Maryland)</p>

<p>How heavily do you think the admissions committee will weigh the recommendation? </p>

<p>Obviously I want to to get in on my own merit, but being out of state does automatically decrease my likelihood of being accepted.</p>

<p>How does this professor know you? If it’s from research you did together, fantastic. If it’s because he’s a family friend, it won’t add anything to your application.</p>

<p>It’s actually from a summer program hosted at the university( a small selective one you have to apply to, not just a summer school type thing that anyone who pays can go). So not a family friend, not really “research” but other academic type work- the program was based on my intended major.</p>