Will Admissions be impressed or will I seem stuck up?

<p>I'm not showing off or anything, but when I was very young I did an IQ test and I was "diagnosed" as gifted. Since then I've been part of a national academy for gifted children/teenagers. Would it be a bad or good idea to put this as an EC? Also, because of this, I've been featured (in middle school) in newspapers and magazines...should Admissions know this? My mentor at that academy also wants to write me a recommendation letter where he will talk about my intelligence and blah blah blah, including giving a report about it...Would the admissions be impressed with all of this or is it a bad idea?</p>

<p>I'm really not showing off, I'm being completely honest and I just need your opinion.</p>

<p>I think you should definitely put it. You'll only come off as conceited if you write it that way.</p>

<p>^How should I let admissions know that I appeared in magazines/newspapers? Should I send them (even though I was a middle schooler at the time)?</p>

<p>You could say that you took an IQ test as a kid and was labeled as MG (many other kids do the same). Then you can go on to say that you saw a good opportunity when joining the Academy. Then you can list your accomplishments. The Rec seems ok. The only weird thing about the whole thing is being "diagnosed"...I see the humor you are trying to put in, but i don't know how it will fly.
<a href="http://talk.collegeconfidential.com/what-my-chances/1233618-chance-me-i-chance-back-please-drexel-swarthmore-bu-bsmd.html%5B/url%5D"&gt;http://talk.collegeconfidential.com/what-my-chances/1233618-chance-me-i-chance-back-please-drexel-swarthmore-bu-bsmd.html&lt;/a&gt;&lt;/p>

<p>Has being labeled gifted made it difficult in school? Do kids and teachers expect more from you because you are gifted? What troubles does being called gifted bring? If you wrote an essay about those questions then I think it would be really realllly interesting. I myself am kind of curious to know if being called gifted come with any hardship. :)</p>

<p>I'm gonna go ahead and say no. This seems like a pretty bad idea. Colleges do not like when kids include their IQs to seem smart. And as a "gifted" person, you'll be on par with every other kid applying to top schools. They are all gifted. Actually, some of them are geniouses. Yet none of them felt the need to explictly put it in their app.</p>

<p>^SpeakerBoxer Actually yes. People do expect A LOT from you. In fact, when I don't get 100% on a test everyone (my classmates) automatically assumes I'm lying. Just because you have a high IQ does not mean you are destined to have a 4.0 GPA, you still have to study like everyone else.</p>

<p>I could write an essay, but the school I'm applying to only requires one essay, no supplement essays. So they might not even read it!</p>

<p>^born2dance94 Oh, of course I wasn't planning on specifically saying my exact IQ. I'm not planning on mentioning any numbers. I was just planning on mentioning the academy and how entrance is based on IQ.</p>

<p>Where are you applying? The top schools expect you to be gifted. This is, I repeat, NOT a good idea.</p>

<p>I can tell you in my grade of 400 students, over 80 students (closer to 100) are gifted. I know this because there used to be a class of only gifted students. There were 60 kids in all the sections of the class, and there were over 20 others who weren't admitted b/c of parents or teachers not reccomending them. None of us feels this pressure just because we are gifted. I don't know any of their IQs, and I don't expect anything from them. Trying to create adversity in your life by saying it was difficult to be gifted will only come back to hurt you in the admissions process.</p>

<p>^born2dance94 I was just answering a question, I do NOT plan on saying that being gifted was "difficult". I'm not a negative person so I don't plan on whining. </p>

<p>And I'm applying to non-Ivy, yet selective liberal arts schools.</p>

<p>So maybe talk about the academy, but be very, very careful not to make it seem like you are "showing off" your IQ. Again, they will not be impressed by your IQ. So I'd suggest just putting it as an EC.</p>

<p>^But should I let my mentor send my recommendation?
How about the newspapers & magazines? That's definitely showing off if I send it, right?</p>

<p>Probably. But the final decision has to be up to you.</p>

<p>I agree with born2dance94. Let your mentor brag about you, your magaine articles, your high IQ (and hopefully about your social intelligence as well!)</p>

<p>Your grades and test scores should amply demonstrate that you are exceptionally able without having to point out the obvious. Use the essay space to flesh out what else you hope to accomplish in life and what else you have to offer the school besides smarts.</p>

<p>So you guys think I SHOULD send the magazine articles?</p>

<p>^Or I could also ask my mentor to send it?</p>

<p>Add the National Academy group you are in to your extracurriculars and explain it in the section that says to. That's all.</p>

<p>In my son's school district, one third of students are "gifted".
I think to be featured in an article would be an interesting topic of an essay, but sending it in is kind of a silly action, because colleges don't not ask students sending hard-copy proofs about their activities and awards.</p>

<p>I am with Born2 and M's Mom. What do you have to gain from this? Adcoms are looking for what you actually accomplished- in your record and LoRs. That's a large part of how they assess your potential to master challenges at their school and add to the vitality of that campus. At good schools, you would be surprised at how many applicants are dripping with some wow factor- grades, challenges they mastered, the good that they did for others, etc.</p>

<p>The risk is: you drop hints at your smarts, you prove how magazines wrote articles about how great you are...and adcoms wonder what your perspective is that you think this makes you somehow unique. Sorry, that's tough. </p>

<p>I know you are trying to ask this modestly. But, it's the adult LoR writers who should mention any exceptional things about your performance in hs, your actions/accomplishments and their faith in your potential.</p>

<p>MsPenny</p>

<p>It's though to answer this question, because there's gifted and there's GIFTED. For example, if you look at HYPSM, I suspect you'd find that virtually the entire class is gifted. However, even in this population, relatively few are GIFTED.</p>

<p>So, here's the thing if you're GIFTED (or even just gifted), presumably it shows in your academic performance. I recognize that this doesn't necessarily go hand in hand, but where it doesn't, I think that the top colleges either look for an explanation, assume that the student doesn't work up to potential (not a good thing), or assume that the GIFT is not necessarily academic.</p>

<p>I don't know what the National Counsel for Gifted Children/Teenagers is, but if it's a legitmate activity, then certainly list it.</p>

<p>Ok, so if you're gifted, no need to mention it, so are most of the applicants (if a top US school). If we're talking GIFTED -- than I think your mentor is on the right track -- better if s/he writes about it or if your guidance counsellor does the same. They can even send in the articles if they think it is appropriate. </p>

<p>FWIW, it's probably better if your mentor writes the recommendation for you than if you write it. Just sayin'</p>