will apply to Philosophy Major significantly reduce my chances?

<p>Since Philosophy department usually seen as the #1 in the whole country, assumably, people applying to NYU philosophy major would be capable, making the applicant pool extremely competitive. IS that true?</p>

<p>My SAT is 2080 in single sitting, with a CR score 760
and I have SAT 2 US His 750 and Literature 650</p>

<p>For the standardized test, are these enough for me to get in?</p>

<p>It's definitely enough for you to get into CAS, which is the school with the Philosophy program.</p>

<p>It is not a competitive program at all. You just declare your major. It's Philosophy, what does "capable" even mean?</p>

<p>Undergrad admissions are not by major so it wouldn't. I don't see why a top ranked graduate program would mean the undergrads are better students. It is however, extremely likely that graduate admissions for philosophy at NYU are extraordinarily competitive and that most of the graduate students are excellent students. That wouldn't affect you though.</p>

<p>"I don't see why a top ranked graduate program would mean the undergrads are better students."</p>

<p>There is considered to be a trickle-down effect where because the graduate program has highly qualified professors and administrators, the undergraduate program would improve as well. The OP was probably concerned that would make the undergrad program more competitive, but it doesn't.</p>

<p>Considering my German teacher was a philosophy major and he had to teach our class three times a week, have office hours, accommodated me because I could never make the office hours, graded our papers, and still had to be a student himself, I would agree that the philosophy grad students are probably brilliant.</p>

<p>lol @totiebinds </p>

<p>You don't just "declare" a philosophy major. You have to go the department and the department has to approve you as a student. There is no form to declare the major that you can fill out. You have to go talk to the head of the department to become a declared philosophy major, after he assess your interest in the field, etc. If you apply as a freshmen applicant, you can skip that process.</p>

<p>"What does 'capable' even mean?"
Capable would mean possessing the ability to understand and excel in philosophical topics. NYU professors in philosophy are the foremost philosophers alive. When taking classes from these people, they don't lecture on what other people think or other books say, they lecture on what they think - because they can do that. They're world renown thinkers. And you better hope you can understand the concepts they expect you to understand.</p>