Will colleges automatically reject me for dropping all my AP classes?

<p>I am being coerced by my counselor and the vice principal into dropping all my classes except for PE. I was in 4 AP classes first semester and got all As, but now I'm not allowed to take them anymore and will instead enroll in classes at my local community college through a college-in-the-high-school program called Running Start. So instead of AP Lit, AP CompGov, etc., I will be in English 101, whatever government class is available there, etc. </p>

<p>How will this look to colleges? I'm very upset that the administration which is supposed to be looking out for academic future is in fact ruining my future like this, but I'm wondering just how instantenous the college rejections will be when my midyear report shows dropping all these classes in favor of community college classes.</p>

<p>Sounds unusual, why are you being coerced to do this.</p>

<p>i missed a lot of school because I get sick a lot.</p>

<p>I really need some insight into this people! Come on, help me out, I'm so worried...4 years of slaving away in high school for nothing...</p>

<p>I'm sure the colleges will understand if your school is forcing you to do this. That being said it is better to check with the college you have been accepted into and explain your quite unique situation.</p>

<p>Do you think? I'm just so worried because it looks like I'm just randomly dropping all these hard classes like AP Literature in favor of English 101 at a random community college...</p>

<p>I'm definitely going to send them a letter describing how I had an illness and so missed a lot of school, and that my school would not allow me to attend classes because of it, so that's why... because I feel like it'll look strange on my mid-year report and will raise an alarm for colleges. So if I send them a letter it's like... a preemptive action on my part.</p>

<p>Or should I wait for colleges to ask me about it, in the hopes that they don't really notice/care about it and that if I send them a letter right away in might just raise concerns that they wouldn't otherwise even think of?</p>

<p>I'm confused.. if you took these first semester and got A's.. when were you too sick to continue in the classes? I would first try to convince them to let you stay in the classes if they are being offered, but if not.. then I think transferring to the CC is all right since those are already college level classes. Find out what the explanation is, and maybe have your school counselor share it with the colleges if it's not your choice.</p>

<p>Just send a letter to your colleges and explain what happened - don't wait for them to ask. I'm sure they'll understand, and besides, community college classes are still more challenging than regular high school classes, right?</p>

<p>No I can easily continue the classes I'm in but I'm being forbidden from taking them-- it's a long story but that's the gist of it. </p>

<p>What do you think looks better on my midyear report which will be sent out to colleges: that I "became a full-time college student" 2nd semester (it won't say which classes I"m taking at the community college, just that I'm taking them), or that I switched to taking all online AP classes (of the same APs I was in 1st semester). Those are my only two options.</p>

<p>Something isn't adding up. Are you saying that you got A's in these classes but yet your school is no longer allowing you to attend at all? Also, you say you are worried about what your midyear report will look like since they are making you drop these. But if you got all A's first semester, isn't that what will show on your mid-year report???</p>

<p>You and your parent need to take this matter to the district level.
You need to clearly understand your school's policy for excused absences due to illness and why you are being asked to drop your APs.
What does your gc say?
Something is fishy here...</p>

<p>I know, what they're doing is probably illegal. But the fact is, it'll take too long to take it to the district level and/or to court-- they're not letting me stay in classes NOW, and I can't just not be in school period until it's resolved, so taking classes at the community college is the only viable option.</p>

<p>Unfortunately, the midyear report also lists what classes you're taking next semester, and my guidance counselor is going to put down none (Except maybe PE), and that I'm enrolled full-time in college in lieu of that. Long story short, she loathes me, and the school admin doesn't care that my absences were excused due to illness because I have accrued more than 10. They say they are doing ME a favor by not making me lose credit for 1st semester because I had many absences, and that they will make me lost credit if I don't agree to the community college thing.</p>

<p>But the sketchiness of the matter aside-- honestly, is this going to sabotage all the rest of my admissions decisions? I'm still going to self-study the APs I am now and take the tests for them (lit, us gov, comp gov, stats, enviro sci) in May.</p>

<p>Honestly, I don't think colleges will mind at all. You have extenuating circumstances beyond your control that you can explain in a letter (which you SHOULD do now), and you're still challenging yourself by self-studying and taking college classes (which you should also mention in your letter). Don't worry, you'll be fine.</p>

<p>Do you think? My guidance counselor is just going to write, "became a full time college student" on the midyear report... she says she doesn't want to go into detail about my being sick and all unless they call her up to ask her. But I'm thinking writing an explanatory letter might be best, because if the colleges call her to ask why my schedule changed so drastically I don't think she'd portray me in the best light because she hates me (I'm not exaggerating, it's just the truth).</p>

<p>But on the other hand, they might not notice/care enough to actually investigate further, and sending them a letter might just draw unnecessary attention to the problem. I applied to pretty prestigious universities so they probably won't have the time or inclination to investigatewhen they have a million other apps to go through...</p>