Will having a brother as an alumnus help? Chances?

<p>Hi,
I am currently a Junior and my brother went to Stanford (class of '01). Will this help my chances? By how much? Some other stats, if they would help:</p>

<p>SAT- 1360 (I choked, and took it as a sophomore) I should be able to bring it up to 1550
ACT- 34, should be able to get it up to 35, maybe 36
Class rank- 9/~466 as of sophomore year. It will be top 5 after this year, and without Freshman grades, probably 2 or 3/~466
All the honors classes I could take, I took AP Human Geography last year and got a 5. I am taking all APs this year: US Government, US History, English Language and Composition, BC Calculus, and Chemistry. I should be able to get a 5 on Chem and Calc no problem, 5 probably in English, and 4 at least in the other 2. Next year I will probably have AP Econ and AP Lit and Comp as well as taking Calc 5 at the big state U which I live near. I'll also probably take Physics (Calc based) there and maybe some more chem.
Over the summer I'll take Calc III and Iv, which allows me to take V.</p>

<p>Some ECs include:
Some middle school math awards, not sure if I'll even put these
Will probably make All-State math team
Mock Trial (going to state, have for past 7 years, and maybe nationals if lucky) and have most effective orator/attorney awards
100+ hours tutoring kids with learning disabilities and also kids that have English as a second language. I should have even more than that this year.
I volunteer at my church and help with the Children's Ministries.
I play golf recreationally, but not for my school as there are scheduling conflicts with Mock Trial
I play guitar and have for several years.
National Honor Society</p>

<p>I'll have a 100 in Calc and Chem, but I will only have had 2 years of Spanish and one year of Latin.</p>

<p>My brother is already donating to Stanford. So what are my chances and will my brother help?</p>

<p>Also, I am a white male which doesn't help at all. I did the EPGY program there and fell in love with Stanford. That combined with my brother's experience there makes it my number one school. I will probably major in Mathematics or Chemical Engineering. Sorry for the long post! If you need any other info, let me know.</p>

<p>You can get in on your own merit if you get a reasonable SAT score (which I am sure you will). Make sure to take SAT IIs as well, and don't wait till the fall of your senior year to do it. Your brother being an alumnus may slightly help you (regardless of your mother's donations), but you should rely on yourself. Apply EA, it will help your chances.</p>

<p>I'm going to take Chemistry, Math IIC, and Literature most likely at the end of this year. I should be able to get an 800 on Chem, 770+ on math, and 750+ on Lit. I am definately going to do all I can to get in on my own merit, but I can use every edge I can get. I am a little worried about my apparent lack of leadership, community service, and a third year of Spanish. I do a lot of tutoring every day during my study hall and lunch, and after school at my house if someone requests it, but since it's technically school related I am kind of worried. Same with leadership. I don't know if the admissions people will realize what it takes to be a successful tutor. I am definately applying EA, as I know this is where I want to spend four years.
I am also worried because I know the girl who is number one in the class also really wants to go to Stanford, and she has athletics (I believe she is the number one female runner in the state for high school; she's set the state record three years in a row, I believe). Am I facing a lot of competition and am basically shut out? Or does Stanford not care if we are from the same school/region/etc?</p>

<p>Sorry for all the questions, but I really appreciate your help!</p>

<p>For SAT IIs -- take writing instead of lit (that's the test they want)</p>

<p>It is very important to have AT LEAST 3 years of the same foreign language. I am not sure why you are not taking that Spanish. If it is because you hate it, you may want to rethink it. If it is because it's too easy and a waste of your time, take SAT II and get >700, then you are probably fine. (There is no way your brother's status will replace a year of foreign language.)</p>

<p>I would not worry too much about "official" leadership positions. It sounds like you put a lot of thought, time, and energy into tutoring. Make sure to let them know that through your essays. Everybody is a president of some club, and no one cares about it, unless they actually have something accomplished.</p>

<p>And don't worry about the girl. There is no quotas for schools, and if she will be a recruited athlete, she is in a different category all together. Plus, there is nothing you can do about it...</p>

<p>My problem with Spanish is this: I took Spanish I and did well, a 98 I think, but Spanish II was taught by a woman who was very bad at Spanish and bad at teaching. She quit a few months before the end of the year and we had a substitute the rest of the year. We only covered about three chapters in that whole time. After that year, I switched to a different school and when I went to my Spanish III class, I was completely, and obviously, unprepared. I had to drop it to avoid a very low grade, and there was no Spanish II section that period to take and then take Spanish III next year. I would normally have taken the three years, but through circumstances not under my control I am unable to. I was good at Spanish and didn't dislike it, I just got messed over in Spanish II.</p>

<p>You are obviously very strong academically, so maybe you can get away with it. It is something that may hurt you though, as it will be one of those missing check marks on things you "have to have". Could you ask the Stanford representative that comes to your school about it? Maybe you could take Spanish during the summer at community college?</p>

<p>I don't know if a Stanford rep will come to my school. My school doesn't send many/any kids to top schools. Last year was a record year for us, with 2 going to an Ivy League school or other top tier school out of a class of 600 or so. The year before that I don't think there were any. I can always call them, I suppose.
Thanks for your help!</p>

<p>Edit: I don't think Community College would be much of an option as I'll be taking Calculus III and IV over the summer.</p>

<p>One of our sons went to Stanford (class of 2003) and didn't have ANY Foreign Language before attending. He just had to make sure and take three quarters of it at Stanford before graduating. </p>

<p>As far as the brother legacy and admissions - our younger son (who we actually thought had a stronger application than the older brother who graduated from Stanford) applied Early Action last year and was deferred and then ultimately rejected. We know how mysterious the admissions can be, and he was well aware of this going into the application process, but it was still disappointing. Like the OP he had first hand experience with the University through his brother and absolutely KNEW it was the place he wanted to go. Now two months into his freshman year at Duke, he can't imagine being anyplace else. He's very happy, and we all feel that it's been posive for him to have his own unique expreience. Things work out.</p>

<p>Hmm, Dak. I also have a stronger app than my brother, but I think things are more competive now than a decade ago. I'll have a lot of higher math courses (Multivariable Calc, Differential Equations, etc) so maybe that will help. It's all a guess anyway, as you've said.</p>

<p>Pat, you should put your hopes up high too much. I know this graduate student at stanford because we attended a math class together this summer. She told me that her youngest sister got rejected from stanford despite the legacy status and her strong grades. Her younger sister even got accepted, so legacy, i think may help but not necessarily.</p>