Will I lose scholarship money

<p>hello college confidential users,</p>

<p>i just finished first semester at school and report cards are coming out. i didn't do absolutely terrible, but based on my first quarter grades, i'm not happy. i was wondering if these grades may deter a college and make them take away money since i got some nice offers from early actions schools. my ap calc grade stayed the same, my theology stayed the same or went up a point and my econ may have either stayed the same or went down one or two points. there grades were all in the mid to high 90s so im not too worried about them. however i have three other classes that went down quite a few points. my ap eng grade was like a 93 and after this semester it will be an 86ish (this is my biggest drop...the midterm was graded pretty harshly and i did not do so hot...). my astronomy grade was like a 92 and is now an 87 and my ap stats was like a 90 and is now an 86 ( out of 20 kids in my class, only 2 or 3 got 90+ so yeah). the midterm seems to really be the cause for these three drops. i'm not trying to make excuses for myself as i know i can only blame myself but i know that a lot of other kids did badly on those midterm exams, some even failed them. i'm pretty sure i did not do bad enough to have any acceptances revoked but will i have money taken away? thanks for you time. also if it matters my gpa for my first quarter was about a 96 and with these grades will probably be around a 93. i don't know if a three point drop overall is that bad but i'm more worried about those other 3 classes.</p>

<p>just to clarify, it ended up that my econ grade stayed at 95. my cumulative gpa did not go down much at all, just like .5 of a point. i'm just worried about my drop from my first quarter grade of a 96ish to my semester grade to a 93.5</p>

<p>Several things here:</p>

<p>It looks like you may be sending from a smart phone. It is hard for some of us techno-dinosaurs to read text that lacks capitals and has a large amount of text running together (no paragraphs or line spacing). You may generate more feedback if you take time to make your posting more readable. </p>

<p>It also seems like you're not yet well versed in the world of scholarships. Scholarships break down into:
1) Athletic scholarships (if you are great at certain sports, the difference between an 80 and a 95 grad is moot).
2) National Merit (based on PSAT scores, so again, GPA is a moot point)</p>

<p>3) Big Scholarships (Intel Science search sort of things. This is the stuff most kids dream about but only a very small handful get -- and usually you are talking very high GPA's, lots of Extracurriculars and other super star qualities)</p>

<p>4) Little scholarships -- these are often with their little quirks. If you are a resident of Maytown, then you can apply for the Maytown Garden Club scholarship. The dear ladies will want to pick a strong student, but what makes a "Winner" may not be the kid with the 4.0 GPA, but the kid with a nice 3.5 GPA and a great essay on "My future as a florist"</p>

<p>Don't sneer at little scholarships. A lot of these stitched together can be just lovely. </p>

<p>5) College "aid" or "grants". You won't know if you get one of these until you a) apply to Happy College, and b) are accepted to Happy College. In April of the senior year, you'd get the "Welcome to Happy College" letter or email that tells you that you've also been selected for the "Bessie Best grant" or some such thing. </p>

<p>Here's the kicker: about 75% of all scholarships are of the Category 5). You can beat yourself up and feel like a failure over the Category 3)'s where the difference between a 3.99 and a 4.0 might be pivotal -- but most of the scholarships are in Category 5). </p>

<p>This means you have to work on many levels. You want strong grades. You want strong SAT scores. You want to have at least a couple EC's. And, you very much want to not be a snob. Apply to a range of colleges and include some where the college will be excited about having you (Think "Happy Valley College" instead of "Harvard" or "Peanutville U" instead of "Princeton"). </p>

<p>Please get your head out of the this rather obsessive thinking about your GPA. Spend some more time learning how scholarships and colleges work. Find one who loves you for the strengths you have to bring to the campus. Good luck!</p>

<p>Hello Olymom</p>

<p>Yes, sorry about the hard to read text - I was using an iphone, I will be sure to post on the computer from now on. I understand what you are trying to say about gpa not being everything, as I now there are more important things. I did get a decent score on the SAT and am involved in EC's and am Vice President at a club at my school along with having many service hours.</p>

<p>What I was trying to get at was my concern for the drop in my gpa from the first quarter of senior year to my semester grades that were just released. I applied and was accepted to three schools early actions, two of which I received scholarships from. I was explaining how in three of my classes, my grades dropped pretty significantly, 4-6 points and my semester average is about 3 points lower than my first quarter average. My cumulative gpa did not change much at all though.</p>

<p>My concern was that with these lower scores, will the colleges that i already received scholarships from feel the need to take away some of the money.</p>

<p>Thanks for your input!</p>

<p>Tab...</p>

<p>did the awards that you received specify that you must get a certain GPA while still in high school?</p>

<p>I think many schools know that seniors get some senioritis, so this may not be a big deal.</p>

<p>How do you think your grades will be by the time you graduate? Try to finish strong.</p>

<p>it did not say anything about maintaining high school grades...it just said that in college, one must have a 3.0 for it to be renewed so...
thanks @mom2collegekids</p>