Will I regret applying ED?

<p>I'm applying this fall and I'm pretty sure CMU is where I'd like to go. But the only thing that's holding me back is worrying about whether the rest of my life I'll be asking myself "what if" I could have gone somewhere else, MIT, etc, even though I would like CMU more. Did anyone at CMU apply ED and regret it?</p>

<p>Not that it really matters but my profile is in the Chance Me thread.
<a href="http://talk.collegeconfidential.com/carnegie-mellon-university/933353-cmu-2015-chance-thread-please-stop-creating-new-chance-threads-4.html%5B/url%5D"&gt;http://talk.collegeconfidential.com/carnegie-mellon-university/933353-cmu-2015-chance-thread-please-stop-creating-new-chance-threads-4.html&lt;/a&gt;&lt;/p>

<p>I think youd get in RD.</p>

<p>I also think you can get in RD.</p>

<p>If you are looking for financial aid, it would help to apply to other schools, particularly a school considered generous with financial aid and/or one that you think would be happy to get you. It puts you in a better bargaining position when it comes time to negotiate with CMU.</p>

<p>Also, you know, there is a good chance that you could change your mind over the next year. It is not uncommon.</p>

<p>Its better to be ED when it comes to financial aid, because CMU only fulfills 100% of need if you are ED. Last year I had the full amount covered.</p>

<p>See: <a href="http://img689.imageshack.us/img689/8330/screenshotxbu.png%5B/url%5D"&gt;http://img689.imageshack.us/img689/8330/screenshotxbu.png&lt;/a&gt;&lt;/p>

<p>ED if you want decent financial aid. Otherwise, go RD.</p>

<p>Although your initial RD offer may be a little underwhelming, CMU can offer more than 100% of need after you show them competing offers from other schools. This is one school where negotiation is crucial.</p>

<p>Seems like the OP is concerned about missing an MIT admit decision rather than any regrets about money.
As everyone said, CMU negotiates..but with no offers in hand, ED doesn't get ideal packages...your unmet need (as seen in Metal's package shared) can include numerous loans-- not ideal IMHO.</p>

<p>Regarding a strategy for MIT...why not apply non-binding ED to MIT, wait for the decision and then concurrently apply RD to CMU or possibly if dates line up..you could manage to hear from MIT in time to consider CMU EDII.</p>

<p>If you prefer MIT over CMU then you should apply to MIT. They are very different schools and student bodies-- if your only focus is getting the most highly ranked program, that's not a good way to guarantee a fit with the school and people you will spend the next four years.</p>

<p>soo... my story: I did not apply ED to CMU because I wanted to try my luck with MIT/Caltech. I applied to both of those schools EA, and was deferred. Then I applied CMU RD and figured i could put off my decision until the spring. Well, I was accepted CMU SCS, but waitlisted at both MIT and Caltech. At that point, I had already visited CMU once, and liked it, so I was more than willing to say no thanks to MIT and Caltech's spot on the waitlist and accept the offer to CMU. </p>

<p>This was a decision I probably could have made in the fall of my senior year, and it would have saved me all of the stress and uncertainty. I agree with mom2012, research the schools, and if you find that you like one over the other then apply early. otherwise, keep your options open.</p>

<p>You may not need to apply ED...I think you have a good shot of getting in even if you apply RD.</p>