Will my offer be rescinded? :(

<p>I am in a terrible situation right now. I am a recent college graduate (May 2011) who ended up graduating with no jobs in hand, even though I graduated Magna Cum Laude with a 3.7 GPA and was involved with the two largest accounting organizations in my school.</p>

<p>I graduated with a Bachelor's in Accounting, and plan to get my Master's in Taxation. Since my undergrad school didn't offer the Taxation degree, I decided to study all summer for the GMAT and even take the following Fall semester off so that I could focus on finding a job.</p>

<p>I had everything planned out accordingly. I studied around 20-30 hrs per week for the GMAT in the summer and I scored decently on my GMAT (640). I know, not enough for top accounting schools, but I figured it was enough for the school I was aiming for. Since I'm in the NYC area, I figured Baruch would be the perfect place for me to complete the Master's in Taxation degree. Cheap tuition, great education, close to home, all win. </p>

<p>The Fall semester I took off to find a job was a success as well. I had 5 first round interviews with different accounting firms (3 Big 4, 2 mid-size), 3 office visits (2 Big 4, 1 mid-size), and ended up with internship offers for all 3. I declined two and signed for a tax internship with one of the Big 4 that I received an offer from. </p>

<p>So basically, I got my dream entry-level position, scored great on the GMAT, and planned to get a great tax education from a great school. Happy ending right? Wrong.</p>

<p>Stupid me. I was so confident that I was going to get into Baruch and start school next semester (Spring Semester starting January 2011) because of my GMAT score, and ended up applying exclusively to Baruch. Baruch was the perfect school for me and I did not care about any other schools at that point. Anyway, I receive my decision letter in the mail this week and I find that I was dinged. I will not be going to Baruch in January, although I told all my employers, including the one that I signed with, that I planned to start my Master's in January. </p>

<p>I have absolutely no other backup schools and am scared ****less that my offer will be taken away from me if I am not in school next semester, especially since the offers I got are internships. If anything, I will be starting school Fall 2012 LATEST. I will not make the same mistake and only apply to one school anymore. My lesson is learned. </p>

<p>My questions are, do employers expect interns to be enrolled in school? If it is absolutely necessary, then that would mean that my offer will be rescinded right? :( What else can I do in this situation?</p>

I will not be going to Baruch in January, although I told all my employers, including the one that I signed with, that I planned to start my Master's in January.


<p>Active enrollment in school is not necessarily required for an internship. Many people intern after graduation if they could not find a position while in school. </p>

<p>However, what worries me is the above statement. Did you tell people that you would be at Baruch? Because if you did, that very well could be grounds to have an offer rescinded. In that case, you would have used Baruch's name to get a job without any affiliation with the university. On the other hand, saying "I'm applying to graduate taxation programs" wouldn't have been an issue.</p>

<p>I can't offer much about what employers expect, but IF you MUST be in school, you can probably find an online program that you could enroll in as a non degree seeking student. But you need to start researching programs now.</p>

<p>Then you can apply for normal programs in the fall (or stay online if you find something you like).</p>

<p>When I was looking at graduate programs, I took 1 class at two different schools as a non degree student to test them out.</p>

<p>Damn rough situation to be in, but just research the internship you applied for should should be able to find out if you have to be enrolled in school for it.</p>