William S. Burroughs

<p>You parents have been around a while, and most of you are borderline genius...so I have a quick inquiry -</p>

<p>I'm doing an extensive, year long project on a specific author - mine being William S. Burroughs. I'd like to read Burroughs' books in order...or at least in the "best possible way"</p>

<p>Should I read Naked Lunch first? That seems the most logical as it was his most famous, but I can't figure out any particular reasons why I should read one before the other.</p>

<p>I have to read ALL his books by the end of the year.</p>

<p>I've never read ANY of his books, so I'm not the person to ask... but I am amused that I got this Burroughs confused with the one who wrote Tarzan, and so I had a huge laugh when I got to the part about "Naked Lunch."</p>

<p>Thanks for the laugh!</p>

<p>I tried to read Naked Lunch awhile back. I guess I just wasn't in the mood for it at the time, because I had to put it down about halfway through. </p>

<p>Wish I could be of more assistance. If I may ask, what prompted you to choose Burroughs?</p>

<p>Well I love Kerouac, but since I've read all his work I figured I'd try one of his friends....and that would be Burroughs.</p>

<p>Ginsberg seemed to difficult - I'm not a huuuge poetry guy.</p>

<p>Kerouac and Burroughs are not very similar writers. The Keruoac books I have read had pretty straightforward narratives, and you will definitely not get that with Burroughs. But as a former 17-year-old that just had to read Naked Lunch, I say go to it, and start with that one. However, if you don't like it, I don't like your chances of enjoying the others. So have plan B (another author) ready, in case that happens.</p>