Wisdom Teeth

<p>My D (age 17) had her wisdom teeth extracted today. Just wondering what recommendations others here have had (to extract or not to extract)? For those who have gone through the surgery, how did it go? Any valuable tips for recovery? Share your dental story here!</p>

<p>Definitely ice the area for the first 24 hours. Don't skip this. It will greatly help in reducing the swelling.</p>

<p>Do not suck through a straw. It can dislodge the clot.</p>

<p>Usually, after taking the prescribed painkiller for the 24 hours, you can quell any leftover pain with simple over the counter pain reliever.</p>

<p>Follow up with your oral surgeon as directed.</p>

<p>My son had all four removed last August. He was fine after the first 48 hours.</p>

<p>I had two of mine out recently because one was hyper erupted and cutting into my cheeks, the other was just taking forever to come in and it was a painful process. Since they had erupted, I did not have to have a surgical procedure and it was easy as pie. Took 20 minutes, most of which was to get numb, I was awake, no pain or trauma whatsoever, my normal dentist was able to do it, and I did not need pain medication afterward-- I think it's when they have to cut into the gums that it becomes a more painful procedure, but that's just my largely uneducated guess. I went out to mcdonalds with my bf after my procedure and we went engagement ring shopping, it was no big deal for me. </p>

<p>My dentist's school of thought believes that there is no point in taking out the teeth unless they become a problem or if you want them out. My bottom ones are still in because they haven't come in yet, looks like they may very well come in straight, and aren't bothering me at all. I have heard that it is more traumatic to get them out when you are older and the bones have fused, and if I researched that and found it to be true I might be more inclined to take them out now. </p>

<p>Valuable tips is to make sure she follows the dentist's instructions regarding ways to avoid dry socket and infections. It is very important not to do anything that requires sucking, like drinking through a straw.</p>

<p>A lot depends on how developed the wisdom teeth were. At seventeen I suspect the roots were minimal. D#1 was like that, and the surgery slowed her for just a couple of days. D#2 is having her wisdom teeth out in a few weeks, and we anticipate she will have a slightly longer rehab because she has some roots showing on the X-ray. My brother waited until his mid-30s to have his removed ... he was out of work for nearly three weeks.</p>

<p>I got mine out in high school, as did most of my friends. There's no way I would have let the wisdom teeth come in after all the time/money spent on braces (my dentist and ortho definitely shared this sentiment). I am always jealous of people who have a quick/easy recovery. I had a horrible reaction to the drugs (nitrous/IV), so the day I got my wisdom teeth out was a complete nightmare... totally out of the blue!</p>

<p>Definitely use ice/ice packs to reduce swelling and just stick to nice, cold, liquidy things. I'm sure she will bounce back in no time! : )</p>

<p>I only had the two top wisdom teeth---same with my D. I had one pulled when I was about 30 just because it kept getting cavities--never had an issue with them not fitting in my mouth! Then when my D had hers out when she was 17, I (at 42) had my remaining one out proving I am a team playing mom.</p>

<p>Really ice is the key. One of my kids was playing soccer two days after the procedure. Nobody was down more than 3-4 days. Follow the instructions you were given. It'll be fine (and you only have to go through it once!).</p>

<p>From another thread on the topic:

Ice is good too.</p>

<p>I do NOT agree with the suggestion of do not take the big-time painkillers. Withdrawal is only ugly if you plan on taking more of them than the oral surgeon has initially prescribed, and if you do, you're doing it illegally. </p>

<p>The problem is, if you don't get the pain under control, you won't want to open and close the mouth and your jaw begins to get very stiff and sore, adding to the extraction site pain.</p>

<p>That makes me wonder how many painkillers other doctors give out. My dentist only gives you enough vicodin for a dose or two a day for a couple of days-- certainly not enough to go into withdrawal afterward, and if you want more you have to call and explain why you need it in order to get a refill.</p>

<p>jambaby, "I had a horrible reaction to the drugs (nitrous/IV), so the day I got my wisdom teeth out was a complete nightmare" do you know why you had a bad reaction? I'm not in the health field, so what is nitrous/IV?
My dd is having surgery for wisdom teeth too soon. So I"m glad psychomom asked about this.</p>

<p>Momofateen - many oral surgeons (again, this is when your wisdom teeth are impacted and require true surgery as opposed to just an extraction) use a combination of nitrous oxide (laughing gas) and an IV with some sort of sedative so that the patient is out, but not under general anesthesia. </p>

<p>My daughter is having her top two out in a week and her bottom two were so bad that we can only assume these will be easier.</p>

<p>emaheev - Exactly! For D1, they gave a certain amount (maybe 3-4 days worth), and when by day 5 she was still needing to take something and we were out, I called the oral surgeon's office. When I told them how much discomfort she was still in, they wanted to see her before prescribing anything else. Sure enough, she had dry socket, which needed to be packed and once it was, her pain pretty much went away instantly so there was no need for more narcotics.</p>

<p>thank you for the explanation teriwtt. my dd will be under general anesthesia since her wisdom teeth are not coming ut straight.</p>

<p><em>sigh</em> i had all 4 removed 3 years ago (has it really been that long? :o)</p>

<p>I had to be completely sadated, due to one of the teeth being right atop a major nerve. </p>

<p>I don't remember completely after they put the iv in me and then i remember not wanting to wake up.</p>

<p>I was givin toylanal (sp) with codine (sp) along with an antibiotic.</p>

<p>My diet consisted of only Yogert the first 3 days. I ate it reluctently through a surenge (very very swollen, couldn't use spoon).</p>

<p>This wasn't my first 'surgery' in my mouth, i had one in the front to bring a tooth up, so i knew what to expect.</p>

<p>I wore my retainer pretty much all the time until the pain went away (it made me have a gap so i couldnt shut my mouth totally).</p>

<p>Heating pad was good for relieving pain.</p>

<p>MomOfaTeen - I had nitrous (laughing gas) along with drugs through the IV (general anesthesia), so I was completely unconscious. My wisdom teeth were not impacted or anything - my oral surgeon just does that for most people, especially if they're nervous. People are usually at the oral surgeon for maybe 45 minutes to an hour when they get their wisdom teeth out - I was there for 5 hours because I was so sick (worst nausea you can imagine - I wanted to die). My poor mom was definitely thrown for a loop because we were expecting it to be easy!</p>

<p>My doctor said some people just do not take well to the drugs and your body tries to reject it - he joked that he has only seen that kind of reaction in little teenage girls! Just my luck. It definitely makes me wary of having nitrous or being put to sleep in the future though.</p>

<p>I am sure your d will be absolutely fine! I am just a weakling, ha ha.</p>

<p>I read before my procedure that nitrous can have that effect on some people. For me, I was completely mentally lucid but couldn't move my limbs. It was pretty upsetting and I wouldn't use nitrous in the future. I got the impression that most people react fine to it.</p>

<p>I think there needs to be clarification here as to what kinds of anesthesia there are. General anesthesia requires a breathing tube down the windpipe and is usually only done in a hospital setting.</p>

<p>The kind of anesthesia that most oral surgeons use is conscious sedation (using propofol through the IV), which is also used for other medical procedures (such as colonoscopies). With conscious sedation, the patient basically sleeps through the procedure, but no breathing tube is needed. The effects of propofol are very short-lived, meaning once they stop the IV, the patient usually wakens fairly quickly, although will still be drowsy. It's also a good drug of choice because its effects can be reversed so quickly when it is discontinued. But there is no breathing tube needed.</p>

<p>Both of my daughters have had complicated wisdom teeth removal with very impacted teeth. Lots of bone was removed in getting at the teeth, but because they both have very small mouths, the teeth needed to not come in at all. The surgeon was very descriptive in the complexity of the cases, but again, even it didn't require general anesthesia.</p>

<p>Jambaby, sorry to hear u had a terrible experience.</p>

<p>I had my teeth out last year. I had it done at a surgical center by an oral surgeon and was put to sleep. I still have my bottom roots since they were wrapped aroudn the nerves. I was mostly okay-- lots of ice the first day, vicodin for about 2 days, then ibprofin. I think i was on antibiotics as well, to prevent infection. I had trouble eating for a pretty long time, it was about 10 days before I was eating totally normally (about a week until I was eating most foods). Chicken soup with spinach (from a can so it was really soft-- helps healing) was good for the first couple of days. I tried mac and cheese day 3 or so, but it was really hard to eat. </p>

<p>My jaw was really sore, I assume from having had it open while they were doing the surgery. That made it hard to open wide enough to really eat. My oral surgeon had a lot of followup appointments, which was a bit annoying since I go to grad school in boston and got them out at a place near my house in the NY area, but I appreciated that he was very careful.</p>