Wondering how need-base aid is determined

<p>Hello everyone. I have lived with my grandparents for the past 6 years, although they are not my legal guardians, my father is. When I am applying for financial aid, will I have to put my grandparents income or my father's income? This matters quite a bit because my father's yearly income is probably about 40k while my grandfather makes about 100k a year... even though 100k sounds like a lot, it really isn't after taxes, mortgage, bills, etc. I am going to be applying to some expensive private OOS universities, but it's time for me to know if attending an OOS college is going to be a possibility. My family can not contribute much, so whether I attend or not will depend on how much aid I can get. Any answers would be helpful.</p>

<p>you will put your father's information. FAFSA doesn't count grandparent's income even if you live with them.</p>

<p>Your biggest hurdle will be to make sure you have your father's info on time -- this is a huge deal. Many kids who don't live with a parent have a hard time getting the financial info. I don't know if you are close with your father -- but now is the time to have a serious discussion about what part he will play in the college admission process.</p>

<p>With an income of $40,000, he will probably not be expected to pay much (if anything at all) but he will be required to file taxes and provide the information on the tax forms to FAFSA and Profile. There is a ton of info they need -- income, assets, etc. Many parents are reluctant to give out that info (and he doesn't need to give it to you or your grandparent's -- he can give the info directly to FAFSA and Profile).</p>

<p>Also make sure he understands that the info has to be into FAFSA and Profile early -- check the financial aid priority dates for each school. Don't miss them.</p>

<p>Okay thank you very much. I don't think getting all the information will be a problem.</p>

<p>Also, if your mother is alive, you will need her information for Profile schools.</p>

<p>on the other hand if you are estranged from your mother and she provides no support you can request a waiver from certain private schools</p>

<p>I'm in a rather strange situation... my mother divorced my father when I was 18 months old and was not a part of my life for 7 or 8 years due to her drug abuse. She was involved in a car accident that has left her handicapped and she is not able to work, and lives at an assisted living home in Minnesota.</p>