wooing

<p>What information do colleges get if the student checks the yes box on the SAT / ACTcollege search option? We, like everyone else, get tons of email and snail mail, but it this stuff just automatic? The reason I ask is that I read about students getting flown to colleges for a tour and interview on the school's dollar. I read about schools 'wooing' students, then rejecting them. I'd sure like my D to be a woo-ee, but would the wooing come only after applying? In that case, should she apply to several potential wooers? </p>

<p>Woo. Possibly the silliest word in the English language.</p>

<p>D got lots of mailings based upon her choice of major and our religion. A few schools sent info about reimbursing travel expenses, some based upon her major (theatre) and some for honors programs. It all just seemed to be automatic. We never indicated interest in any particular school. Once applications were in, of course, we got more mailings from some of the schools she applied to. One glaring exception was Northwestern - they never sent any mailings, not even to acknowledge the application - just a short terse email. I guess they don't have to "woo" anyone.</p>

<p>Some colleges pay travel expenses for athletes they are recruiting, and for kids who are finalists for fancy merit scholarships. Other than that, I don't think it's a common practice, and it's unrelated to the advertising mail that stuffs the boxes of pretty much anybody who's taken the SAT. College Board sells colleges lists of students who've scored in a certain range--that's where they get your kids' name.</p>

<p>D did not check the box which helped cut down the snail mail. But, she still got letters and info about merit opportunities. Most of them based on NMSF status.</p>

<p>A lot of it is automatic. Colleges can purchase the names and addresses of students (who check the box) who get certain test scores or have certain GPAs or what have you, and then they just do auto mailings to all of the names they get sent. The idea is to try to get their name in front of as many eyeballs as possible, as often as possible, so that the image of your college and its name, are in the forefront of the students mind and they're familiar with it. So don't confuse getting mail with "woo-ing", it's not neccessarily a sign of interest in you personally, just a sign that you fall within that college's chosen test score window. </p>

<p>Some colleges do fly students out on their dime, but for most students, that's only after they have applied and been accepted, which is when the serious wooing starts frankly, if there is to be any. Most students, unless they are heavily recruited athletes, do not get to travel to the college for free. </p>

<p>I know at Smith there's a pre-admission program called "Women of Distinction" which aims at getting high achieving women of color to apply to Smith. In the fall, they send out applications to high school guidance counselors and ask the counselors to identify one or two students who are very high achievers and get them to apply (students can also request an app and apply themselves). The application for WOD is basically a regular Smith College application in miniature, you have to submit a transcript, at least one recommendation (maybe two? it's been a while I forget), I think there are two short essays, you have to write about your ECs. The students who are accepted to WOD are then flown (or bused or trained) to Smith for a few days. </p>

<p>Some other colleges may have similar programs to that, or special programs for attracting say, musicians, artists, kids with talents for science and math. Depends on what populations the school thinks it needs to put the extra effort into attracting. And there are some schools that don't feel they have to put effort into attracting anyone at all. </p>

<p>Use the mailings for what they are intended for: to give you ideas of particular college choices you hadn't previously considered or even heard about. Read them over, see what they offer, try to form some idea of the wide array of choices out there and what you're looking for in that menu. Otherwise, don't take them too seriously. And don't worry about being wooed. For most, it never happens, but they still become happy accepted students at the college of their choice.</p>

<p>Many colleges get lists from Collegeboard and ACT that include the students who have scored within a certain range. They don't get each child's actual score, they just get a list that might say: these students scored between 2000 - 2400 (or ACT 30 - 36). Then, colleges that are seeking top scoring students, send out stuff to those kids.</p>

<p>Some of the offers that D received indicated that they would reimburse travel costs, IF you ended up enrolling. But she did get a couple that reimbursed up to 1/2 travel cost to come to a weekend event. She attended one of those, but ended up not being impressed with the school. It all depends on who the school is trying to attract.</p>

<p>I have no idea what 90% of the snail mail said/may have offered (waiver of admission fee is common). DS stacks it in a pile or tosses it. He did not send his scores to his target schools after the tests so I don't know if that helps to cut down on the mail. He plans on testing again in the fall, using score choice. We saw no benefit of sending scores that may end up being lower overall.
We did send scores to his safety where he qualifies for merit aid. We wanted to get on their radar. Sure enough he got a call asking for an interview/meet & greet with the regional rep. Not any form of wooing though.</p>

<p>My son had near-perfect SATs and ACTs and got a lot of email and snailmail (which surprised me... I assumed it would all be email these days). </p>

<p>But I think he had only one offer for travel $, from UTD (Dallas). On the CC threads most "wooing" I've read about involves URM, including girls interested in Engineering.</p>

<p>

DS had his SAT and ACT scores sent to 4 schools he is interested in. The only one that hasn't sent some sort of missive is Cornell. I guess they save money on mailings, eh?</p>

<p>I would agree that Women in Engineering is a biggie, as are scholarship finalists. Often they are brought to the school for interviews, etc, as the last phase of the selection process. These are usually the highest level awards the university bestows.</p>

<p>Megpmom, apparently Northwestern does woo. My D received 2 emails from them saying, "Great ACT score, (name). Then info and an invite to come check them out. Not a big woo (and she's not interested anyway) but they apparently have her ACT score.
Most of the wooing stuff we get originates from schools we've visited, and with whom D has self-reported scores, GPA, and NMSF status.</p>

<p>Wooing? What is that?</p>

<p>My child sended scores to some LACs by using free score report.
He got a post card from 1 school that they received scores. That is it.</p>

<p>many top schools have "diversity weekends" for URMs. You have to be eligible and apply. They pay all expenses, and kids who apply/attend usually have better chances to get in.</p>

<p>Some schools will fly in their top admits for free for admitted students days (WUSTL does that). This happens after admission decisions are made, and does not translate into merit $$.</p>

<p>If you are just geting mail telling you they love you, and you should definitely apply, because they are looking for students just like you, it is junk mail.</p>

<p>To woo means to make romantic overtures.</p>

<p>For our family, "wooing" happened after my sons were admitted.</p>

<p>Stanford reimbursed my son for travel expenses to Admit Weekend.</p>

<p>My other son was up for the top award at Denison University. I believe an on-campus visit was required. I asked if Denison would reimburse travel expenses. At first the rep said no, but she called back a few minutes later and said they would cover the flight.</p>

<p>WUSTL actually has recruiting events in the fall for targeted students to get them to apply. Some, not all, are offered free flights to which my daughter availed herself. She had a couple of other schools that offered her flights. She was not interested and did not accept those offers. WUSTL actually offered her a second free trip for admitted students days, but by then she decided on another school. She was not an athlete, URM, or any other "hooked" candidate, just a top student like many here on cc. I took it that these offers were to attract students that would otherwise be looking just at HYPS.</p>

<p>Interesting to hear about women in engineering. I thought women were more represented these days and not as highly sought out. DD scored very high on all tests (SAT, ACT, PSAT) and checked "engineering" as intended major. Guess that explains why our mailbox has been overflowing and the phone is ringing off the hook!</p>

<p>Yes! I don't know where you live, or what schools you are interested in, but I know that the Center's for Diversity in Engineering have a big push for Women in Engineering at both UVa and VT. If these are of interest to you, check out the engineering website and to through the Center's for Diversity to find more information.
I'm sure other schools have programs very much like this, these are only the two I know of personally.</p>

<p>lafter, here is the link that listed 2009 Programs. <a href="http://talk.collegeconfidential.com/college-search-selection/770660-fall-diversity-visit-programs-compilation-6.html%5B/url%5D"&gt;http://talk.collegeconfidential.com/college-search-selection/770660-fall-diversity-visit-programs-compilation-6.html&lt;/a&gt;&lt;/p>