Work Anniversary....

Today’s my 15 year work anniversary. I remember when I started… just after undergrad, thinking I’d stay maybe 6 months till I found a better job that was more me. I feel like I blinked and then the next thing I knew I’d completed a 15 year journey which has spanned 8 positions/promotions across 5 different departments. Crazy, right?

I was wondering what the longest time is that you guys have spent at a place? Prior to this, my record was 4 years. :smile:

Congratulations on your anniversary milestone!

I just had my 23rd anniversary. Until ~2-5 years ago, I was one of the youngest and most inexperienced in my divisional office of 10. (our employer has 1100 employees.) We had several leave including 3 with 35, 40, and 50 years of experience - their whole careers all within our little tiny office. I miss them terribly. Now, I am the old mother hen or the grouchy old depending on the day. Sigh.

You are right though. I am always amazed at how slowly 8-5 M-F can go, but yet the years just roll by. I have been working here almost half my life.

I retired about 3 months after reaching 40 years with my employer, the last 25 in the same department. In those years I had about 5 additional external part time gigs. Although there were folks at the institution longer, among my family and friends I am the person with the longest tenure at one employer.

My husband was 51 years at his company - just retired this year! I retired after 20 years with an agency in the federal government.

@fendergirl it’s always nice to read your updates! Congratulations!

My last job was 30 years in the same school.

Does being a SAHM for 18 years count? ; )

My longest job was 19.5 years as a SAHM. For paid work, it was my most recent job … 7 years. I have had a life filled with lots of detours!

H retired a year & a half ago from the megacorp where he began his career. 42 years … and a big old middle finger from management to all the long-timers. He gave everything, and it was great until the company stopped caring about keeping employees for the long haul.

@fendergirl

Many people my age worked in the same job for a lot of years. There is a lot more job mobility now, in my opinion.

You have been successful getting different opportunities and jobs within your company. That’s terrific. For many, the only way to “move up” is to change jobs.

Congrats, @fendergirl ! Ditto the observation that you have had lots of different opportunities within your company, so its like changing jobs.

It’s great reading all of your stories!!

Perks of working for a big company - lots of other departments and areas to move to.
non-perks of working for a big company - lots of people (internal and external) who want those same jobs!

it’s taken a TON of hard work and networking over the years to move around successfully. I let it be known at work about 6 months ago or so that I was looking for new opportunities and I had 1 person reach out about a software engineer position, one person reach out about a Sr IT project management position, one person reach out about a business architect position, and then one person reach out about a position that I’m currently in (started 4 months ago). All 4 were within the company.

Hopefully once I finish grad school in 2 years I can put out feelers again and find my way to something else. We shall see how it goes! :wink:

Yep. Sometimes those badges that indicate years of service are like big ol’ targets when it’s time to “restructure.”

Mobility isn’t always decided by the employee unfortunately.

@fendergirl - Congrats to you, though!

Yeah, we have that happen too. I always wonder if I’m next. All I can do in the mean time is do the best I can do and try to make myself as irreplaceable as possible. :smile:

I will have 12 years at this company in October. I plan to retire in January but they don’t know that yet. Many ups and downs…the first few years were wonderful, I work for a division of a larger company and the parent company was largely “hands off”. We had our own HR with great benefits and the president of our group was much liked and respected. Everyone knew everyone else and it was like a family. Then we underwent several changes, our president was out and we lost our HR group. Lost some good perks and more importantly, we lost the sense of closeness we shared. In the meantime I took on more and more responsibility, transitioned from part to full time. I loved my work but never got the title or compensation I should have. Three years ago I made a lateral move to another department. I like the people in the new group and love the regular hours, but I am bored with the work.

Years ago I worked for another company for 8 years. Started in an staff level position and left as a Director. I worked for the most wonder boss ever. Her boss was the second most wonderful boss ever. Not kidding. Changes at the company ended our jobs, however.

I know how you feel. We were orgianlly a division of a larger company which got sold to an even larger company 6 years ago. then our division got pieced apart and placed into various other divisions in the larger company, though we still worked together very closely. Thankfully they found places for every employee in the new organization (though a few have been laid off since).

I know what you mean about the title/money thing. For me, it wasn’t about the title or the money itself, it was the principle behind it.

In my new job, i’m actually part of our corporate office and working with different business units/divisions all across the organization. It’s been pretty neat learning so much about all these other parts and getting to network on that level!

Thankfully I’ve been about to bounce to new areas when determining it was time to make a change. Hopefully it continues to work out.

I’m retired now, but six years was the longest for me (principal in a startup in the 80’s). DH and I moved around the country several times for opportunities either for me or him, but neither of us made any one company a career until DH settled in at IBM for his final ten years. I hated almost every job I had, and started planning for retirement from the first day of my first job out of college. I kept trying to quit but kept getting promoted and slogged on solely for the money. DH and I stepped off (early) when we’d met our retirement goals. I don’t miss any of it one little bit.

I got a nice letter from the bank president (in Dec 2007) congratulating me on my 10 year anniversary and thanking me for my service. Two months later my department was closed down and my job ended. Been “retired” ever since.

I was almost at 29 years with my last company before they laid off all west coast accounting staff. I have been with my current small company for 5 years and it’s a great place that I plan to stay at until I retire.

@fendergirl - Congrats!
Pretty extaordinary that you’ve
found new roles and promotions
in the same company.

I retired last year at 62 after 41 yrs in same hospital system. Found alot of oppotunities and challenges,; had some amazing coworkers.
Was pretty great for about 35 years and pretty torturous the last 6.
The freedom of retirement is priceless.

I worked for the same company for 33 years, retiring in 2018.

The longest I stayed on the same program in the same job (with promotions w/in) was 12 years.

I’m happy I retired when I did as it hasn’t been the best company since. Lack of respect for long-term employees continues.

I worked 18 years for the school district, then 8 years for the City, then retired. It’s been almost a year, and the time has just flown by!!! I did work before those two jobs, but it was for short amounts of time and even smaller amounts of money, so I am not including them. I feel very fortunate to have been able to retire before 60, but some of that was due to wise financial decisions, luck, and frugal living early on that allows us to be less frugal now.