work study

<p>How do you get it????</p>

<p>It is awarded as part of your financial aid package from each school, but that award only offers you the chance to have earn that money. You still have to find the work study job. You are at an advantage when applying for campus jobs as your position is funded, saving money for the employer</p>

<p>i applied to ucr and it did not have work study on there. is there any way i can apply for it??</p>

<p>Work study is usually part of a need based financial aid award. My daughter's original finaid package did not have work study and she inquired with the finaid folks (in person) and they added it to her package. As noted, she had to FIND the job. This year, she has an on-campus job. She has work study, but her job actually isn't a work study job. They'll pay her with the work study allotment and then she'll just earn money from the university.</p>

<p>If you don't get work study, you may still be able to find an on campus job that is not funded by work study monies.</p>

<p>thanks. I was worried there was no way i would get it since it wasnt on my fin aid package.</p>

<p>Do you have unmet need? You have to have unmet need to get work study. Or if you have need based loans you may be able to change them to work study.</p>

<p>Getting a work study award varies from school to school. DS had thousands of dollars worth of unmet need and didn't get work study at his school. He went and asked about it and they said NO. Oddly, he had applied for a job and they wanted to hire him, but the job was a work study job. NO ONE ever was placed in that position because NO ONE with the qualifications to do the job had received a work study award.</p>


<p>If you are seriously thinking about applying for Work Study through FAFSA and all...</p>

<p>Then please make sure that your University has a fair history of awarding Work Study in practice, not on paper. I mean really, make sure you can obtain it or you might have just that much less Financial Aid awarded towards your tuition. You can look it up very methodically on your University's web site and you can also meet with someone who works at the financial aid office at your University.</p>

<p>From what I have heard, a good trump card is to try to work towards something you are already good at and have proof of being good at. For example, if you have a great history with earning high grades in math (and the transcript to prove it), then work that trump card hard. </p>

<p>See, some schools have Work Study on paper (if you will), but they do not have it in practice (if you will). </p>

<p>Good luck to you, though (^_^)</p>

<p>I had work study jobs all through college - even in the summer. I got jobs in the department that was my major and it worked great.</p>

<p>My oldest had a work study job during college as well - she worked in the Library for 4 years. At home she held onto her job at Wal-Mart and worked there on vacations and summers.
Her college library job was instrumental in her decision to seek a MLS degree and her goal is to get into an MLS program.</p>

<p>Some work study jobs are just shuffling papers or cleaning the dining hall (in my day) if you are lucky enough to get a job that is related to your major then that is a real plus.
Also - at my daughter's school all the w-s jobs paid minimum wage. She could have made more $$/hour working off campus - but she didn't have a car and her school was really rural so it was a trade off.</p>

<p>One real benefit of work-study is that your earnings are not subject to social security tax - they are however subject to state, local and federal income tax.</p>

<p>What mildred said is right. My D was awarded work study for her freshman year, $1800. In reality she was only able to earn a total of $600 in that freshman year, as her school had few jobs available for first year students, and even trying to pull in extra shifts from other students, she didn't earn her allotment. Very disappointing.</p>

<p>My daughter was awarded $3400 WS this year. We converted half into a subsidized loan thinking $3400 would mean too many hours for her as a freshman (she is at a State U and most of the WS jobs do not pay much over min wage). She had $1700 left as WS. She did find a job that paid $8 an hour and she enjoyed the job when she actually got to do it - it was good for a while but the available hours have been sporadic at best because she is working for a prof helping set up his research lab and there have been delays in approval. She has only earned a few hundred dollars. Just got her finaid award for next year and she has been offered $3400 in WS again. She is coming home for spring break so I am going to suggest she converts at least half into a loan again. Hopefully she will actually earn the remainder next year.</p>



<p>DD has a work study job. It DOES have social security taxes deducted, but does NOT have federal income tax or any local income taxes deducted. I'm sitting here looking at her W-2 from both this year and last.</p>

<p>That is strange thumper. I also did not think Federal WS earnings were supposed to have social security taxes deducted. My daughter's does not. Your DD will have to declare the WS earnings on her fed and State tax returns (if she has earned enough to have to do a tax return). We noticed our daughter's school under deducted for taxes on WS compared to normal employers (in fact deducted nothing for State and a tiny amount for federal). Fortunately her summer job had overdeducted so she did not end up owing taxes and got a little refund.</p>

<p>My son had work study also and I'm looking at his W-2. The portion that was work study has Federal and State income tax withheld but not Social Security. The portion that went above that (he put more hours into the job than the work study awarded) was taxed for all three.</p>

<p>Don't ask me what I was reading. DD's work study W-2 has NO withholding at all. She only earned $875 last year...not enough to withhold anything.</p>

<p>thumper1 - perhaps your daughter's job is sponsored by the college and is not under the Federal work-study program.
The federal gov't helps to pay the wages of those with Federal work-study money. If they earn all their work-study money sometimes the college allows them to keep working and they pay them - that portion would be subject to Social security tax.</p>

<p>Money earned from the Federal Work-Study program is not subject to social security tax. Whether or not any income tax is withheld is dependent upon how the student filled out their W-4 form.</p>

Don't ask me what I was reading. DD's work study W-2 has NO withholding at all. She only earned $875 last year...not enough to withhold anything.


<p>Senior moment :D</p>