worried about changing majors

<p>so... i am an incoming freshman who was accepted in ucsd as a psychology major. after taking the psychology class in cc second semester i have realized that it is not my passion.</p>

<p>i would like to, instead, change my major from psychology to computer engineering. </p>

<p>how difficult would it be and what would i have to do to change majors?</p>

<p>You are totally not alone! I ended up not liking the major that I came into UCSD declared. First things first: Which college at UCSD have you been admitted to? Second have you looked at the four-year plans of each college?</p>

<p>While I can't testify if switching into computer engineering will be easy, your best bet is to call your academic adviser at your college. I don't have specific links...but a quick Google search (ex. John Muir UCSD) will bring you to your college webpage. From there browse for the Academic Advising section.</p>

<p>I ask about the four-year plans because these will help you map out what classes (if any) are going to/already have overlapped between the two majors. </p>

<p>Most major changes require a simple form to be submitted indicating that you want to change. Others (more competitive) sometimes need department approval and such. I am not an engineer (Poli Sci :D ) but here is the link for the UCSD computer engineering webpage for you to read up on.</p>

<p>UCSD</a> Department of Computer Science and Engineering - Undergraduate Admissions</p>

<p>Good luck, and I hope it all turns out ok!</p>

<p>Switching into Computer Engineering (or any computer science major) is very, very hard because it is impacted. I tried switching from undeclared to Bioengineering and they wouldn't let me. =[</p>

<p>But if you're really serious about switching, contact the CS department and ask about it.</p>

<p>Changing majors at UCSD is easy, unless you try to switch into an impacted major (bioengineering, computer science, computer engineering are the only ones, I think). I'm not familiar with the process, but I have a friend who successfully switched into computer science, so you know it's possible.</p>

<p>Hi destinyawaits,</p>

<p>I was an incoming freshman who majored in political science. Halfway through my summer, I realized that politics wasn't my thing either. So I emailed UCSD's Computer Science department and asked to be in Computer Science. </p>

<p>They will go and review your application.. kind of like admissions all over again. So yeah you can definitely pull it off.</p>

<p>oh wow, cool!</p>

<p>thank you so much!</p>

<p>destinyawaits, at first i applied as computer science major but wanted to science psychology also so i changed to a major that combines the two and brings you the best of both worlds</p>

<p>check out cognitive science. i plan to do cog sci /w specialization in computer computer interaction </p>

<p>UCSD:</a> Cognitive Science - Home > Undergraduates > Major > Specialization</p>

<p>That's the major I'll be entering next year (winter), can't wait, sounds like their department is awesome.</p>

<p>so to change your major do you go talk to the registrar or directly to the department u want to change it to? =/</p>