Would Environmental or Civil Engineering be a good major for me?

<p>Hi everyone,
I am a high school student and am beginning to think about what I want to major in in college. I enjoy nearly all of my classes, but subjects that I liked the most were history, global studies, any English course, Biology (esp. environment and genetics) as well as geometry. I also enjoy designing things and planning. Though I like English and history better than math courses, I am still very good at math, and it can sometimes be enjoyable for me. (I have low A's in honors-level math courses at a private school.) So my question is, how much math is required for Environmental/Civil engineering majors? I am also thinking about other careers such as epidemiology, public health, or urban planning, as they sound interesting and involve less math. Would engineering be a good major for me, and if not, would it still be worth pushing through engineering for the benefits of working in a rapidly-growing field? What are the outlooks for careers such as epidemiology, public health, and urban planning? Thanks.</p>

<p>The other 3 majors you mentioned will definitely be less math intensive than civil. Generally civil is less math intensive than other engineering majors at least once you graduate. It is really going to depend on what area or civil you go into. Working in construction management would require allot less than a structural engineer. As far as classes go you will pretty much take the same as all the other engineering majors. Probably Calc 1, Calc 2, multi variable calc, differential equations, and statistics. This could vary some but in general this is what you will see. I really did not consider myself strong in math at all and almost did not do engineering because of it. I was a B student in HS. I did fine in calculus. Got a B in Calc 1 and 3. Got an A in 2 and diffy Qs. I would sya go for it. You can change very easily if you find its not for you. </p>

<p>You are probably going to hear from at least one person how majoring in civil means you will have no job so I will go ahead and address that. Civil does heavily follow the ups and downs of the economy but there are still jobs when its down and tons of jobs when its up. I highly recommend doing a co-op program or as many internships as you can. This will make a world of difference finding a job. I know several people who recently graduated in civil and are employed. I had no trouble finding a company to co-op with (1 year commitment). This company also has a very good track record of hiring co-op students.</p>