Would hacking the school network......

<p>......to test their security legally be a good EC?</p>

<p>If the school knows about and wants you to do it, yes. If you're doing it for fun and to show off, and they don't know about it, then no.</p>

<p>Unless you had written express permission from someone authorized to give it to you, then no.</p>

<p>An extra-curricular activity? C'mon. 1) red flags about your other potential illegal activities come straight to mind (is this what you want people to have as a first impression?) and 2) all it indicates is that you're good at IT security to some degree.</p>

<p>If 2) is true then I'd characterize it as a hobby not an EC -- unless you were being paid for it.</p>

<p>I'm left wondering if this isn't just ego and seeking strokes.</p>

<p>If the school administration knows about it, and wants you to do it, sure. If not, no.</p>

<p>For REAL bonus points hack the bank. Then you wouldn't even need to go to college.</p>

<p>Depends on the school. I hear some kids who hacked Harvard's computers now attend MIT.</p>

<p>^^ lol. if i were mit i would accept them too--it seems like such a mit thing</p>

<p>you're an idiot. either hack the system and actually take advantage of it or dont do anything. dont flaunt it</p>

<p>If you are doing it as part of the district's network security stuff, and you are applying to Comp. Sci. - Great EC.</p>

<p>If you aren't - you're 'special'.</p>

<p>Yea, sure - violate the school's security system and cause them to have to spend many thousands, perhaps millions, in upgrades will really thrill the school. They just LOVE criminals, escpecially ones who cost them lots of money.</p>

<p>Hacking doesn't have to result in damages. You just have to gain access and then show how you did it. I'm sure the school would rather find out about it now, from a student, rather than later, from someone with malicious intent. Also I doubt hacks would be that expensive to fix. Just switch some code.</p>

<p>Yeah, but if you compromise an app badly enough, they don't know what information you were able to obtain on people, other databases, etc.</p>

<p>Trust me, not worth it.</p>

<p>people, I think he was joking...
calm down.</p>

<p>He's just stroking his ego. The "hacking" types tend to like to show their prowess to us laymen. ;)</p>

<p>in my county a couple years back a kid hacked the system. He got into Harvard. Then the county found out, and he went to prison. He's now out and attending the ever so prestigious Palm Beach Community College. (He wasn't so selfish though. He actually changed the grades for a couple of buddies as well. Imagine having to add that to your application. Now not even teachers can put on grades at anything but a school district computer on campus).</p>

<p>In short: no, just don't do it.</p>

<p>Don't. 20-30 years ago, it might have been appreciated. Nowadays, school systems have professional staff responsible for security and "hacking" the school system is could be treated as an adult felony. If you're determined to crack systems, set up a private network on your own hardware, take good notes, write it up, and you may be able to turn it into a science fair project or paper. THAT will get a lot more positive attention.</p>

<p>if you hacked into say MIT and they found out, would they reject you for hacking into their system or would they accept you for using such advanced techonological skills to hack into their system? :p</p>

<p>jeez, now we're talking about felonies when I've already been given the OK by the admin?</p>

<p>Hey, if you have permission, definitely go for it. I would just make sure that the permission was written on a letter absolutely explicitly ("aisgzdavinci has full permission to attempt to perform a or multiple break-ins to school XYZ computers") signed by the person who has the authority to give you permission in writing so that there can be no way for you to get screwed over.</p>