Would I be considered for financial aid?

<p>I am an international student. I would need at least $30k in aid because my parents are already paying for my sister's college ($52k). So it will not be possible for them to pay the whole fee for my college. </p>

<p>Would the colleges I apply to notice the this and offer me financial aid?</p>

<p>Financial aid policies will vary greatly depending on the school. On top of which you'd need to be looking for colleges that will meet financial need for international students, and that limits your options too.</p>

<p>However, even if you did get accepted to a college that would meet your full need, they would not look at it like, your parents are paying 52K for your sister so they'll adjust your need accordingly. What they might do is determine that your parents can pay, say 60K for example, for education costs. They would then likely expect 30K of that to go to your sister's costs and 30K to go to your costs. They would not subsidize your education so your sister's college could get more money than they can.</p>

<p>True....
Your school would expect your parents to pay some amount for each child. </p>

<p>So...even if your school is a "full need" school, your school isn't going to sit back and agree to pay for most/all of your costs so that your parents can continue paying for ALL of your sister's school. </p>

<p>Your school isn't going to be a charity so that your sister's school can get all of your parents' money. Does that make sense?</p>

<p>If your sister is going to a school that doesn't give much or any aid to international students then that is going to be a big problem because YOUR school is going to expect your parents to pay a decent amount to YOUR school. And that amount may be a large amount. </p>

<p>If your sister is going to a school that gives some aid to int'l students, then she will also have to apply for aid. </p>

<p>So......If your "full need" school looks over your family's income/assets and determines that your family can pay out a total of - say - $70k per year for 2 kids in college - then your college is going to expect to receive $35k and your sister's school to receive $35k.</p>

<p>If your sister's school is not a "full need" school, then that is not YOUR SCHOOL'S problem. That is YOUR FAMILY's problem for letting her go to such a school. Your family knew that you'd be going to school while she was in school. It's a parents job to look ahead and make decisions based on all their kids....not just one kid.</p>

<p>BTW....where does your sister go to school and when will she get her BS degree. </p>

<p>And, if your family is paying $52k for your sister's education and in another thread you indicate that your family can pay about $20k for yours, then perhaps your family's income is too high for any aid anyway. Is that possible?</p>

<p>Exactly. If you are a top student and able to get into one of the 8 schools that meets need for intnls, and they determine you have need, the most generous schools will only ask that you pay about half of your EFC if your sister is at an equally expensive college.</p>

<p>My parents' income is high enough but I they can't pay more than $20k for me. So I need $30k in aid. (I mentioned the reason earlier)</p>

<p>Plus my sister's college is in UK, University of Nottingham. She is not eligible for financial aid. Her college ends in 2 years (maybe more if she goes for further studies), so my financial need would be the same over the next few years.</p>

<p>Apply to less expensive schools then. Schools determine what you can afford, they unfortunately don't let your parents do that. They almost always think you can afford more than you think you can. They don't just consider current income, they expect savings and a willingness to borrow.</p>

<p>
[quote]
My parents' income is high enough but I they can't pay more than $20k for me. So I need $30k in aid. (I mentioned the reason earlier)

[/quote]
</p>

<p>I don't think you understand how aid works. It's not based on what your family says it can pay. Aid is based on income/assets and it sounds like your parents have a lot of money.</p>

<p>A "full-need" school may decide that your parents' income is too high for any aid. Or it may say that your parents' income and assets can pay for $80k per year for 2 kids. If so, it will expect your parents to pay $40k for you - regardless of what your parents pay for your sister. </p>

<p>The school won't care that your parents are paying $52k for your sister's school. Your school is not going to "help" your parents pay MORE money to your sister's school than your parents pay to them for your education. </p>

<p>This is really your family's problem. They allowed your sister to go to a school that gives no aid when they KNEW that YOU would soon be going to school. </p>

<p>Your family knew what they could afford to pay out per year (sounds like about $70k per year). So, they should have had your sister go to a school that would only cost them $35k per year. </p>

<p>*Plus my sister's college is in UK, University of Nottingham. She is not eligible for financial aid. Her college ends in 2 years (maybe more if she goes for further studies), so my financial need would be the same over the next few years. *</p>

<p>And, schools are not going to care if your parents decide to pay for your sister's "further studies" after she graduates. That is a personal choice. Once your sister graduates with a BS, her education costs won't count at all. </p>

<p>You seem to think that American schools are charities which pay affluent family's tuition so that they can send some of their other kids to pricey schools that give no aid. </p>

<p>Frankly, it sounds like your family's income/assets will be too high for ANY aid at all. Aid is not based on what your family SAYS it can pay. </p>

<p>So, your sister can transfer to a cheaper school or you can go to a cheaper school. I will never understand parents who spend too much on Child #1 and expect another school to pay for Child #2. Weird!!!</p>

<p>Imagine if I had $70k to buy my 2 kids each a car. </p>

<p>I take child #1 to the first car dealer and she picks out a car that costs $50k, and I agree to buy it.</p>

<p>Then I take child #2 to a different car dealer and she picks out a car that costs $50k. However, I only have $20k left. </p>

<p>Is it reasonable for car dealer #2 to sell me that car for $20k - so that dealer #1 can get the full $50k for the other child's car? LOL</p>

<p>NO, the problem was that I knew how much I could spend, so I should have told child #1 that I couldn't spend $50k on her car because that wouldn't be fair to child#2.</p>

<p>hello! somebody mentioned there are 8 schools that meet full need for international students.... which schools are they?</p>

<p>So I guess my options are:
I would have to settle for a financial safety school at the moment and then apply to my preferred colleges as a transfer student</p>

<p>OR</p>

<p>take a year gap and apply next year</p>

<p>Which option is better?</p>

<p>Check the policies for transfer students. Some schools do not award institutional aid to transfer students.</p>

<p>Wait... University of Nottingham? It costs $52k? Are you talking about per year or overall?</p>

<p>I think the 8 schools commonly cited are Harvard, Princeton, Yale, MIT, Amherst, Dartmouth, Williams, and Middlebury. I think some of them might have changed recently though.</p>

<p>My sister would be graduating in 2012. So if I begin my college from 2012 (instead of 2011), then I dont think I would need aid. So I guess its a better option to take a year gap and work on my ECAs and other stuffs.</p>

<p>@romanigypsyeyes: tuition fees for medical is quite higher than other courses in UK. Tuition is around £25k ($40k) and there is living cost and personal expenses</p>

<p>Is your sister in medical school now? Or will she be going in 2012? Will your parents be paying for that, too?</p>

<p>I think you need to have a conversation with your parents. It seems like they are blindly letting your sister's education needs trump yours.</p>

<p>@mom2collegekids:
her med-school ends in 2012 (sorry, should have made that clear earlier). And my parents are already paying for her. She has only 2 years left, so it wouldn't be wise to change college now (she took a year gap. that's why so many problems have been created)</p>

<p>And I was planning to go to college from 2011, but in case I don't get any financial aid, I will take a year gap and then apply again next year.</p>

<p>As others have told you, you and your parents do not define need for colleges. The colleges themselves do that. Many families here in the US do not agree with what the colleges say they can afford to pay for college. My recommendation is for you to get in touch with a few of the colleges that interest you and ask: 1) Does the school have financial and/or merit aid for internationals? 2) Does the school meet 100% of need for internationals? 3) How does the school determine need for internationals? (If you can get a quick estimator to see how much they will expect you to pay, given your situation, that will really tell you what the best expectation in that situation would be)</p>

<p>You may want to also ask if the school is need blind for internationals, but some schools that are not could offer the best aid packages to those internationals they do accept, so that is more of an admissions chances question rather than financial. </p>

<p>If you really want to study here and for a given amount of money, you should get a list of those schools that give money in aid and/or scholarships to international students and meet full need. If your need numbers do not look promising, focus on merit awards. There are many schools in the US that will give full ride or generous scholarships to students who they really want. Usually a very high SAT score is needed. There is a thread by MomfromTexas that tells you how to find full ride schools. These schools are usually ones that are not well known. Make sure you ask them if their awards are available to internationals when you get a list of such schools.</p>

<p>Ahh...your sister is in med school now.</p>

<p>I don't think US colleges will take that into consideration for your FA purposes.</p>

<p>So, you may have to wait til she's graduated so then your parents can pay $50k+ for your education.</p>

<p>Of course, don't expect any aid at that point either, since your family income is very high, and you will be the only one in school.</p>

<p>@cptofthehouse & mom2collegekids
I won't need any significant amount of aid if I go to college from 2012 (instead of 2011).</p>

<p>But I'm still going to apply this year and see how it goes. If I aam not lucky enough then I guess a year gap is the best solution for me.</p>

<p>But thanks for all your suggestions</p>