Would this even be worthwhile to put in my application?

<p>I'm a high school varsity track runner, and might want to take up running in college, but I'm not sure. Would it even make a difference if I was applying for an Ivy League university and stated that my 400 meter time is 52 seconds (It'll probably be faster this upcoming senior track season)?</p>

<p>Is 52 seconds too slow to even be worth anything or would it make a difference?</p>

<p>If you just search up Yale athletics you can find out if your time is within range for Yale varsity track.</p>

<p>Here's a results page from an HYP meet last year: Yale</a> Bulldogs</p>

<p>If you scroll down to Men's 400, then you'll see that the 8th place guy ran a 51.76, so you seem to be in range.</p>

<p>In this one: Yale</a> Bulldogs</p>

<p>The slowest Yale time in that one is 52.37: slower than yours. I'm not a varsity track athlete, but I think it's also worth noting that these guys are like, juniors. You're not even a college freshman yet and you can almost run with the lower end of these guys. I'm assuming you're supposed to be able to make improvements with a few more years of training?</p>

<p>That said ... while you appear to be competitive with these guys ... I honestly have no idea if putting your time on your application will have any effect on the decision. I'm not completely familiar with the system, but I'd imagine that admissions officers have no idea what a good time is unless you're already actively being recruited. I could be totally wrong though.</p>

<p>Thanks for the links. I would have been in the running for 2nd~4th in that last one.</p>

<p>You should also let the men's track coach know of your times and your intent to apply.</p>

<p>That's not normally in the range of what it takes to be recruited, but you should email the coach at david dot shoehalter at yale dot edu</p>