Would you be sad in this situation

<p>Say that you get rejected from a college where all your friends are going. The school you are going to is ranked the same(#39) but is farther from where you live. This situation can have some </p>

<p>advantages:
More likely to meet more people</p>

<p>and </p>

<p>disadvantages:
You know nobody/less people in the beginning
No group you can "fall back on" when you are alone
Farther from home
You cannot room with someone you know
More friends=more chances of meeting people and having a social life. Not the case for me.
Greater chance of feeling isolated/not fitting in
Nobody to carpool with</p>

<p>I wouldn't have wanted to go to a school where many people from my high school were going. I like being far from home. I think it can be sad, but viewed from the right perspective you can make it a positive thing.</p>

<p>Sounds like you're stuck in the "touchy feeling I need friends or I'm a loser" high school mode of thought. Don't be afraid to converse with people you don't already know. Nearly all your "disadvantages" are a rehash of the same thing...being afraid to meet new people.</p>

<p>Look on the bright side. It's a fresh start. You have the opportuniy to meet tons of new people, that you otherwise would not have. When I went away to college, I didn't know anyone there and it was fine.</p>

<p>I chose not to go to college with people from my HS. I got waitlisted at a "lower ranked" (although I think it's generally a bit more well-respected) school than the one I'm going to and some of my closest friends are going there. I was kind of upset the last few weeks of school when they'd all bonded over college and stuff, but now I'm glad that I'll have a new start. </p>

<p>I won't be held back by my old HS reputation. I'll try new things and I won't be worried that someone will think "you're such a poser because you never did that in high school."</p>

<p>rainbow, I think just like you lol.</p>

<p>I think your overthinking the "disadvantages" catagory.</p>

<p>You will be able to see your friends when you go home for vacations. There will be so many opportunities to make new friends and try new activities at your college. I think gong to a school with your high school friends can be limiting. When you go to another college, it is true that no one knows you and that means you can change and grow more easily. When you room with someone you know, you are more likely to stick with that person and less likely to meet all sorts of cool people.
About carpools, there may be students at your college who live in a neighboring town!</p>

<p>Be positive. Take a moment to imagine a rich social life in your new college. Be open to making friends and it will work out!</p>

<p>Can you connect with someone from your college on facebook? email? phone? before you go?</p>

<p>There will be lots of other students who don't have friends yet at college and trust me, everyone will be looking to meet people.</p>

<p>I go to a school that's 10 hours from home, so I can kinda understand what you mean. But this is an opportunity to make these next 4 years your time. Spending time with old friends is wonderful, but so is making new friends.</p>

<p>I don't know what you're talking about. I'm moving all the way across the country for college and I'm freaking ecstatic.</p>

<p>I mean, I love my friends, but this is the time to jump out there and live a little. I personally wouldn't want my old friends holding me back. Trust me, you'll make new ones and keep in touch with the old ones who are worth it.</p>

<p>The reason I picked my school over one that is MUCH closer was because only 2 other people from my HS were going there. the closer school was where lots of kids from my school went and I really wanted to meet new people and not have to hang out or 'fall back on' my HS friends. I'm really glad I did, too, because it made me grow up and mature more than (in my opinion) they did.</p>

<p>I agree, it is sad to be leaving behind friends. I don't know any of the three other kids going to my school, and most of my friends are going to UC Berkeley or staying at the local community college, and the school I'm going to is 8-9 hours away. But this is my perspective--it's a completely new start. No one knows who you are, no one knows the embarrassing stories about you, you can try new things and recreate yourself without the fear of people you know watching. Also, you can keep in touch with your HS friends. My best friend is going to Berkeley, but we've agreed to keep in touch by facebook, email, and skype. My other friends are also keeping in touch via facebook or skype, and if they are friends worth keeping, then the relationship will last and we'll see each other when we come back for thanksgiving. If not, then it was fun while it lasted. Some friendships will die off, and though it is sad, it means that they just weren't strong enough. You'll make new friends. If you always hang out with the people you already know, you may miss out on someone who might become your lifeline for Chem class, or a trustworthy friend, or someone who knows all the ins and outs of the area. </p>

<p>This is a growing, maturing situation. Your high school friends aren't always going to be there to fall back on. Everyone's going their different ways now. Everyone's trying to figure out who they are. You'll find yourself easier if you don't have old memories to hold you back. Look at the school you got into. Don't look so hard into the disadvantages. Look at the advantages. You get a chance to meet new people. Look at the school and the surrounding area. Imagine your life there. It's going to be different, maybe a bit frightening, and maybe lonely at times, but this is how you grow.</p>

<p>I'm ecstatic that I don't know anyone where I'm headed next year. One of my main goals in college applications was making sure I didn't have to see the same people I spent high school with.</p>

<p>I wouldn't want to go to a school where all my friends are going especially since I'm a girl they can quickly turn their backs and just make it a horrible situation. I'm going to be a senior in hs and can't wait to go to college and meet new people. I'd rather take random on a roomate because that's the best chance to meet a good new friend. don't doubt yourself that you're not capable of meeting new people. everyone is looking to do the same as you. take advantage of all the freshman activities in the first week that's a great chance to meet people. if u go in thinking this is going to suck then it will. make the best of the situation.</p>

<p>Pffttt, I actually don't want anyone from my HS to go to my college. I'd rather be in a pool of new people than filled with the same people I've went to school with for 7-12 years ... It's time for a fresh start. Sure, I'll definitely feel nervous my first day but isn't everyone? 200+ people from my HS are going to my state uni. Thank god I'm not going there ...</p>

<p>Trust me, after two years in college I've basically ceased all contact with my old HS friends except for one or two of them. Most of my friends at college have, too. You'll all be growing into different people soon, regardless of whether or not you believe me - don't base your future decisions and worries off of what they're doing.</p>

<p>Going somewhere without knowing anybody there may be scary, but it can be a great experience. Chances are, after you're immersed in the new environment for a few weeks, you won't notice that you were once "alone" there. And you won't have the baggage of high school hanging on you: you can gain the reputation you want, and not be saddled with the one you had since you were 14. If you're nervous about how to make new friends, check out your school's website for a list of clubs/sports/activities/religious groups/etc. If there's a message board, Facebook group, or something similar for freshmen, join it and start talking to your future classmates!</p>