Would you encourage another close look at the not-picked college?

<p>You could tell her that to make YOU feel comfortable with the decision, you would like her to visit College Y again. That you want her to be sure her decision is made on the basis of the qualities of the school, and not just because she is mad at school Y. You are happy for her to go with either, but you have heard stories of regret and you just want to make sure she has gotten all possible info.</p>

<p>I can see that but why should the child have to make her parent comfortable with the decision? I would hate to undermine a child’s first major decision… Sure you can say there are stories of regret but that can go in both directions. </p>

<p>It sounds like the OP’s child learned more about her three options, liked what she learned, and chose the one she felt was best. She sounds like she’s moved on, even to the extent of thinking about her fall courses. It’s a bit cruel to yank her back into a yet another round of decision-making to make the parent “comfortable”.</p>

<p>Let it rest.</p>

<p>I think it is worth investigating College Y further. You don’t want to create a situation where she attends College X and has some setback (which is inevitable) and finds herself wishing that she had attended College Y instead. </p>

<p>I wouldn’t push it though. Just encourage her to use the time she has left before May 1 to consider all of the options, and suggest a visit to College Y. </p>

<p>It is interesting that there is a mix of opinions on this topic. (Everyone is well-intentioned and polite, but just have different opinions.) </p>

<p>I just have a question. Is the aid at X guaranteed all four years the way the scholarship at Y seems to be? Have you checked whether X is known for frontloading aid so in later years it would be more loans or something? I’d just want to make sure X really is as financially good as she is counting on it to be. </p>

<p>I agree with Consolation that the relative ease of keeping the scholarship/aid over the years should be in the mix.</p>

<p>I would try to convince her to just take another look. Make sure she understands the decision is hers, but you Want her to give it a fair comparison. </p>

<p>I am also in the “encourage her to take another look” camp. It isn’t like today is April 29th and she’s “down to the wire.” She has a few weeks to mull this over and then if she’s absolutely sure that she wants to keep College X as her choice, let her have that final say. I can understand that she would be “angry” with University Y for not making that choice affordable in the first instance, but they clearly want her there and that should hopefully encourage her to take another open-minded look, if possible.</p>

<p>By looking at college Y again is not “grass is always greener.” It is about looking at options calmly without too much emotion. When it comes to wait list, I never understand the mind set of “Well, you rejected me, so I am not going to give you another chance.” If it is a school you always loved, and the option is free, why not stay on. </p>

<p>In OP D’s case, if both schools are about the same (academic, social, location, life after college…) then go with which ever one she wants, but I suspect that’s not the case. Why so many tears initially when she thought she couldn’t attend college Y? I just wouldn’t want her to turn college Y down just because she felt hurt. It would be cutting her nose to spite her face. She got into college Y’s honors program. Is there any academic advantage to that? Will she be able to get more attention for being in honors program? Again, I would have her very unemotionally come up with a spreadsheet, do a line by line comparison between college x and college y, and it may include visiting college y again, before she makes the final decision. This is what a grown up adult would do, we don’t always let our emotion get in the way of a sound decision. I would teach my kid to have such skill set.</p>

<p>I would like to add, once the final decision is made then I would let it go and not look back.</p>

<p>I’m bumping this thread to ask whether your D can revive her acceptance to School Y for the next semester, or next year, or reapply, now that she has abruptly withdrawn from the LAC.</p>

<p>Curious how this turned out. Confused by last post. Was she happy with College X? Still pining for College Y? If you see this, update please! </p>