Would you rather consume pesticides or insects in your food?

<p>If less pesticides resulted in more insects.</p>

<p>My parents bought organic vegetables before - the sheer number of dead insects (ESPECIALLY CATERPILLARS) in them was astounding. It made me think - almost no animal is strictly a herbivore - given that most herbivores would accidentally consume some insects along the way.</p>

<p>Personally, I’ll go for more pesticides. It’s irrational and I’m sticking with irrationality. Going vegetarian helps reduce more pesticides anyhow (seeing that pesticides accumulate along the food chain - hence why DDT and other pesticides hurt birds of prey the most)</p>

<p>Well, I think I’d get over the insects thing. I mean, there are an average of 8bug legs or something in an average candy bar.</p>

<p>There’s some, if you will, food for thought. =D</p>

<p>Insects = Good for you.
Pesticides = Bad for you.</p>

<p>Good for you > Bad for you. Insects > Pesticides. </p>

<p>Insects.</p>

<p>I would choose pesticides over insects anyday</p>

<p>Insects are good for you CT? Since when? They’re not necessarily bad for you (though some certainly come to mind), but they’re not good for you either.
Insects are disgusting. I’ll take pesticides over insects no matter what.</p>

<p>I’m sorry WatchMeShine but I’d like some proof before I believe there are legs in my candy bars :stuck_out_tongue:
Pesticides in appropriate doses > Insects</p>

<p>i ate half an insect once (it was like a maggot or something white and wormy) and i saw the other half in my soup and i literally died. i felt sick for the rest of the day. Worst thing ever</p>

<p>you don’t actually have to eat the insects… you can just wash the vegetables and get the insects out before eating anything…</p>

<p>

</p>

<p>Still, the insects often stick (especially when they are surrounded by stalks). They have some chemical substance that makes them stick to plants when they’re upside down and when it’s raining</p>

<p>especially when the food is broccoli</p>

<p><a href=“Entomophagy - Wikipedia”>Entomophagy - Wikipedia;

<p>Msu, your sickness was probably due to being grossed out [eating a maggot can by psychologically disturbing :D] and not because of toxins in the maggot. </p>

<p>Insects are a fairly good nutritional source:</p>

<p><a href=“Page Not FoundSmithsonian”>Server ErrorSmithsonian;

<p>Regarding pesticides:

</p>

<p>i bought crickets from an insect farm two years ago. they were crunchy. i brought them to my friends birthday party for truth or dare.</p>

<p>holy crap</p>

<p>actually, i’d take organic apples then (at least it’s easy to identify the apples penetrated by insects - not so easy with others)</p>

<p>hoogli: That’s horrific.</p>

<p>I ate a chocolate covered cockroach for part of a science fair experiment in 7th grade… I was 1 of the few who wasn’t grossed out after they found out the cockroach was real. Tasted fine. Good actually. (and all the roaches were sterilised beforehand, don’t worry…).</p>

<p>Most of the people who were disgusted by the fact that they at cockroaches got sick. The ones who weren’t disgusted didn’t get sick at all. Coincidence? Maybe. More likely is that it was just psychological.</p>

<p>TritiumKnight, it’s ALWAYS one of the facts listed under “useless info” lists.</p>

<p>just look up “the average chocolate bar has 8 legs in it” on google or something and you’ll get a bunch of random sites. I’m sure there’s research out there somewhere…</p>

<p>Pesticides…Unless I can’t tell there are insects in my food.</p>

<p><a href=“http://www.cfsan.fda.gov/~dms/dalbook.html[/url]”>http://www.cfsan.fda.gov/~dms/dalbook.html&lt;/a&gt;&lt;/p&gt;

<p>I am sure you get both pesticides and insects in the dining hall food.</p>

<p>Bugs. I would just wash them off. And if they were somewhere where I couldn’t see them, well then what I don’t know won’t kill me.</p>

<p>I was eating salad and bug flew in it and I tried to shoo it away, but it died. I just ate around it. Maybe it wasn’t vegan-like of me, but I didn’t see the point and wasting the salad, and I have no idea why it died.</p>