Would you take the SAT (without any prep) for practice?

<p>This is what my kid's guidance department is advising.</p>

<p>They want kids to take the December SAT, then do the school-provided prep coure, then re-take in march.</p>

<p>Does this sound like a good idea to you?</p>

<p>Alot of kids do.<br>
It all depends. Depends on the kid - how good a test taker he/she is and their college goals.
Mine did - Jan of Jr. year - came out said that was fun. Back in '04 - when it was Math and Verbal. She got a 1400. Took it again in May and got a 1450 - then she was done.</p>

<p>My D's school advises the same thing. If your kid did okay or better on the PSAT, that's probably good advice. I think if my kid didn't do so well on the PSAT I might start prepping earlier for the SAT.</p>

<p>we won't have PSAT scores until after the December SAT.</p>

<p>I truly have no idea how my D did. She's very bright, but an over-thinker and not the best standardized test taker.</p>

<p>Your daughter can take a full length practice test at home to see where she stands. Signing up for the SAT question of the day is an easy way to get familiar with the types of questions. It's a low key way to get some practice in.
<a href="http://www.collegeboard.com/student/testing/sat/prep_one/prep_one.html%5B/url%5D"&gt;http://www.collegeboard.com/student/testing/sat/prep_one/prep_one.html&lt;/a&gt;&lt;/p>

<p>a lot of people take it without any prep because they don't know better. at my school, the guidance department never once mentioned prep to anyone. ever. they still don't. they have a practice book in the office you can get if you ask, but that is it. no one at my school ever prepped. once i got to college, i had people ask me when i took my prep classes. not if. not if i even got a book. so yeah, go ahead and take it. the majority of people probably take it without any prep anyway.</p>

<p>Everyone who registers for a for-real SAT should get the test description booklet, which includes a previous genuine test as a practice test. Using the practice test is a VERY good idea. Doing any more formal prep is likely to be a waste of time and money. The students who do best on the test are those who read avidly and THINK about math problems and grammar and usage rules in writing. </p>

<p>The College Board keeps figures on how students do after repeated instances of taking the test. </p>

<p><a href="http://www.collegeboard.com/prod_downloads/highered/ra/sat/AverageScores.pdf%5B/url%5D"&gt;http://www.collegeboard.com/prod_downloads/highered/ra/sat/AverageScores.pdf&lt;/a&gt;&lt;/p>

<p>abuwalker, I'm sorry, I assumed your child had taken a practice PSAT in tenth grade. Disregard advice!</p>

<p>noooooooooo, don't do it, don't waste the money. If you want practice, purchase the Blue Book and take a practice test or two or three at home under decent conditions.</p>

<p>True story: a good friend's kid took the SAT "for practice," bombed it big time. Decided he wanted to be considered for his dream school, one of those on cc's top Uni lists. Spent all summer with SAT tutor. Raised scores significantly in the fall. CB refused to report the scores because they were so much higher, they claimed that he HAD to have cheated. After a lawyer got involved, CB did report the scores, but added a notation to the report that they were suspicious of the xx SD increase.</p>

<p>I think it depends on the kid. My D took the SAT for the first time in January without any practice and did very well. Took it again in June "for real" and had a significantly lower score. Why? 1) she was tired out from studying for AP tests, an insane extra-curricular schedule and studying for NYS Regents exams. 2) she suffers from test anxiety. She was well rested and relaxed going into the test in January because "it didn't count." She decided twice was enough and used her January results in her applications.</p>

<p>interesting stories.</p>

<p>I feel a little like a lawyer who is advised, don't ask a question you don't know the answer to...</p>

<p>It just feels unwise to commit to having un-prepped test scores on record when I have no idea what they will be...</p>

<p>My tendency is to take the path of least regret. </p>

<p>Thanks for you input!</p>

<p>I did that and found out my weaknesses. Then I started preparing. I hope my October scores come out right.</p>

<p>I did.</p>

<p>Of course, I'm in 9th grade, so getting the best possible score isn't necessary.</p>

<p>I took the SAT during Sophmore year to get a base line score. I got a 2010 which was really great because it took off a lot of pressure. I took it again and got a 2110 and I am planning to retake for the last time with the score probably going to be around ~2250.</p>

<p>my school GC also says that, but in JUNE! I think that's ridiculous...you only have 1 real shot to do well in October, when you're busy with classes and college applications! Anyway, I took it Oct of this (junior for me) year, and hardcore prepared for it. This way, I had a respectable idea of what I would get and would have a baseline...I got a 2120 (800-cr, 640-m, 680-w) but now have a year to work on math and writing. I don't have to worry about it being my last chance or regret not preparing...</p>