WPI EA coming out earlier (mid-December) for class of 2031?

I noticed on the WPI website this week that EA1 is coming out mid-December this year, which is a change from past practice!

Application Type Application Deadline Decision Notification Enroll By
Early Decision I November 1 Early December January 15
Early Action I November 1 Mid December May 1
Early Decision II January 5 Mid February March 15
Early Action II January 5 Mid February May 1
Regular Decision February 1 Mid March May 1

I had a 25 that applied, and they found out late January for EA. I was expecting same for my 27, apparently not which is great news for my kid.

2 Likes

Likely to help with yield.

I imagine the kids that wait and wait that schools fall further down their lists as they’ve heard from others first.

There are less kids and less rich kids to go around going forward - and as a technical school, it’s not quite the best (the technical part) it’s been the last decade or so - it seems less are applying, especially for computer stuff - so that puts a WPI/RPI/RIT type maybe at another challenge.

So great they are taking steps to, in their minds, mitigate.

1 Like

Agree it will help with yield and that many other EA schools they compete with come out on that timeline… personally, in my house, I am thrilled - lol.

1 Like

FWIW, back in the day the mid-December timeline was normal for EA, but they didn’t have ED then. (My HS class of 22 kid, who ended up at WPI, found out his EA acceptance I think 12/13 or 12/15.)

And relatedly, if anyone reading this thread has WPI questions, please feel free to ask me or send me a message. My older son graduated last May with double majors in MechE and CivE and I’m always happy to talk about the school.

4 Likes

fascinating! so they have gone back and forth on dates!

I had tracked for my 25 and 27 and seemed to be mid-late Jan so assumed had “always” been that way. They also got rid of their “why WPI essay” since my 25 applied as well. Possibly they didn’t have it last year (or in 22!) not sure…but suspect new this year? I had assumed to increase # of apps but also may increase speed of reading apps:) (or both!)

Anyway, good for them for experimenting and trying to improve their stats:)

That’s great if true – it’s somewhat conflicting on their own web page (if you click on the “early action” on that same page it says late January or late February). I hope it’s true. Right now WPI is the top school on my kid’s list that she is fairly likely to get into. I’d love for her to have an early win and some peace of mind about the whole thing.

2 Likes

Oh geez!

I’d bet the chart is correct myself if I had to put money on it and they missed the buried text

Well, if you’re wrong, maybe they’re monitoring the chat and will realize - you know, our yield stinks, and maybe this a great idea to help it!!!

1 Like

FWIW I dug out old emails from my 25, and they said “late jan” for EA 1 and “mid-Dec” for ED (not “early-dec”). My prediction is they had entry-level or intern changed chart on that page and didn’t look at other places on website :roll_eyes: Hopefully we both get emails at some point soon that have info confirming…I imagine social media will start having “ads” soon too.

They are coming to my kids school at some point this fall, but they can’t attend because they have class at same time, or I would make them ask:)

1 Like

Did they add an EA option? Maybe that pushed up the ED answer date?

They didn’t add any new options, nope! But did seem to move up the answer dates for ED1 and EA 1 if the chart is right (vs. text above it) which is my guess.

1 Like

@AKmom314

Ok I was really compulsive and went to wayback machine as this was weighing on me - lol.

WPI changed the chart with dates to what I pasted above between August and September 2026… to me that means chart is probably right and they changed their timelines so EA1 will be in December…I am hoping they post something in instagram or send an email to confirm, but right now emails seem to be pitching ED, sigh.