Writing about religion?

<p>Hey all! For Stanford's short essay, "What matters to you, and why?" I wrote about how I came to be a Christian and the impact Christianity has had on my life. My faith is really important to me, but at the same time, I don't want to risk turning off any adcoms with differing beliefs. For those out there who don't believe or are of different religions, how would you react to an essay that doesn't advocate for Christianity, but rather reflects on how faith has impacted and changed one's life?</p>

<p>Thanks a bunch! ^^</p>

<p>anyone? any sort of insight would be appreciated!</p>

<p>I would say totally go for it. As long as the essay is insightful and shows how something impacted you in a significant way, there isn't really a "bad" subject to write about. I would only warn against making a cliche or overused essay (which can be easy to do when talking about discovering religion), I heard a Stanford reader at a conference say that if she read another essay about a mission trip to Mexico, she would be physically ill. But as far as offending anyone goes, that should be a non-issue. I actually wrote that essay about my own Atheism (this is awkward lol), and that's way more controversial than Christianity. Readers aren't going to be petty and hold things against you for your beliefs. Good luck!</p>

<p>I had a quote from Charles Darwin in my essay... It had nothing to do with religion or evolution at all though. Still, I wondered if there would be consequences... then I realized they want people of all types there!</p>

<p>Even though I am an atheist I would say go for it! Of course it won't hurt you if write eloquently about it.</p>

<p>Look at Stanford's common data set. The criteria section says that religious affiliation is "not considered." Adcoms are trained to contain their personal biases, and every application is read by more than one person, so you should be in the clear.</p>