XiHu LongJing green tea - is it for real?

<p>Attended a sale pitch of this tea and the sales guy was really good. DW was totally sold on the health benefit of this tea and its extractant.</p>

<p>Well, I have started to drink 2 ~ 3 cups of this green tea a day since Nov 1st. The water from the office coffee maker is around 83 C, perfect for this green tea. For each of the new cup of tea leaves, I would steep three times. In other words, I drink 9 cups of water every day. In the evening, however, I would take one extractant pill rather than keep drinking tea. Getting up 3 times per night is not fun at all.</p>

<p>The tea itself has very little flavor. However, after 15 ~ 20 minutes, there is this natural sweet taste developed in the mouth. It will last for hours.</p>

<p>Without changing my diet nor adding any exercise, I have lost 4 ~ 8 lb depending on when I get on the scale. Most amazing thing is the fat in my mid section started to feel "soft", as the sales guy predicted. That is the beginning of serious fact reduction, he said.</p>

<p>Is this tea for real? Have you or someone you know had the same experiences? If I could lost 20 lbs only by drinking this tea for one year, that will be wonderful.</p>

<p>Dad II,
You might try posting this to the Health and Fitness thread. The people there are very informed and may have an opinion for you. I'm curious to hear the answer!</p>

<br>

<br>

<p>Come back in a year and let us know how it went.</p>

<p>Well sure, if you drink tea and eat less... its all about calorie consumption.</p>

<p>Are you planning to be a sales rep for this tea?</p>

<p>Did the presentation specifically pitch the tea as an aid to weight loss? I'd be skeptical, if that's the case. I had to hide from a friend for about a year when she got involved in selling some kind of pomegranate concoction which she swore targeted fat cells.
[quote]
If I could lost 20 lbs only by drinking this tea for one year, that will be wonderful.

[/quote]
It would, wouldn't it? But if it sounds too good to be true, it probably is. Have you asked your doctor what he/she thinks about this as a weight loss plan?</p>

<p>Dad II....you are losing water weight. The tea is acting as a diuretic. </p>

<p>The ONLY way to lose weight (regardless of the diet) is to reduce your calorie intake, and increase your exercise (to burn more calories). </p>

<p>When you lose water weight only, you will find that when you stop drinking the tea and therefore stop your MULTIPLE potty trips...your weight will just come back...unless you have changed your eating patterns at the same time.</p>

<p>^^ (Ref #5) They pitched all sort of health benefits, weight loss included. </p>

<p>I did some google search afterward and it seems several real research have been done with positive results. </p>

<p>In any case, my plan is to do a blood test three months from now.</p>

<p>T1, you sound like you know this very well. Here is the wiki citing:
<a href="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Green_tea%5B/url%5D"&gt;http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Green_tea&lt;/a>

[quote]
Although green tea does not raise the metabolic rate enough to produce immediate weight loss, a green tea extract containing polyphenols and caffeine has been shown to induce thermogenesis and stimulate fat oxidation, boosting the metabolic rate 4% without increasing the heart rate.[5]</p>

<p>

[/quote]
</p>

<p>What would you be looking for in a blood test? Cholesterol levels? Triglycerides?Glucose? HDL/LDL? What does it profess to effect?</p>

<p>I know what kind of tea you have, but isn't all green teas have the same effect? Why this variety special? Have you tried others.? In China, tea can have wild variation of prices, one could cost $1,000's per oz or worth $.1 per oz. So, is this an expensive variety that has special healing effect?</p>

<p>DadII, you are consuming 9 cups of mildly diuretic liquid every day. First, by having your stomach always full, you are shutting off the hunger signals that the stomach sends to you brain when it gets "deflated". Have you noticed that you eat/snack/nosh less because your stomach is always full? Second, the diuretic effect leads to water loss.</p>

<p>To really lose 4 lb of fat, one has to have a roughly 14,000 calorie deficit.</p>

<p>Someone on a budget could get an equal effect by drinking a " no-name" green tea.</p>

<p>
[quote]
Well sure, if you drink tea and eat less... its all about calorie consumption.

[/quote]
</p>

<p>That's been my mantra--it's all about the calories.</p>

<p>ref #10. Yes, I did notice that I go for the typical vending machine sweet in few frequency. Initially I contributed that to the fact that I got a sweet taste from the tea.</p>

<p>
[quote]
Second, the diuretic effect leads to water loss.

[/quote]
Is this good or bad? May be walking to bathroom multiple times a day burns additional 100 cal. </p>

<p>Ref #9. We were presented that as if this tea we got is a fresh batch of "before rain". They said the XiHu Longjing has the highest tea polyphenol among other green type of green tea. It is definitely not the $1000 per oz one.</p>

<p>Drinking too much liquid puts unneeded strain on the kideys and leads to electrolyte loss. I do not see it as a positive. To burn 100 calories, a person needs to walk a mile, give or take a few yards. That's a lot of bathroom walks in one day! Anyway, tea is not the worst thing one can consume. :)</p>

<p>DadII -
what bloodwork/labs are you running? Do they profess/claim to make changes that is any different from what one would see with weight loss and a better diet?</p>

<p>Dad II....look up "ketosis". </p>

<p>Losing water weight is NOT a recipe for permanent weight loss. As noted, it puts added stress on your kidneys and leads to electrolyte loss too. Neither of these is good for anyone for more than the short term.</p>

<p>Does the tea salesman have a bridge they can sell to you also? You would get the SAME effect drinking ANY kind of tea in that volume. Try it for a day and let us know.</p>

<p>DAD II, If your stomach is full from drinking lots of H2O [tea] , then your brain senses you are "full" and "tells" you that you arent hungry- therefore you eat less = you lose weight!</p>

<p>^That's exactly why Weight Watchers recommends 8 glasses of water a day. It really does make a difference.</p>

<p>Dad II...save your limited financial resources for college costs for your kids. You can drink plain old generic tea and get the same results...or water...which is free. No need to spend unnecessary money for swanky tea.</p>

<p>This falls into the category of "if it sounds too good to be true, it is." If there were a painless way to lose weight, it would have been seized upon by a major marketer and found in every retail outlet, not sold through some "sales pitch". And "fresh batch of 'before rain'"--c'mon...</p>