Yale Fan Chooses Harvard

<p>When your real name is Yale Fan, where else would you choose to go to school except Harvard?</p>

<p>Yale</a> Fan Chooses Harvard | FlyByBlog | Harvard Life. To Go. | The Harvard Crimson</p>

<p>This is the least funniest excuse for a 'story' - so what the Guy's name is Yale Fan and he goes to Harvard :rolleyes:</p>

<p>I can forgive The Crimson, as lets face it the summer tends to bring with it less news as everyone's away, but do we really need a thread for it?</p>

<p>
[quote]
but do we really need a thread for it?

[/quote]
</p>

<p>Yes, definitely. In fact, we need two.</p>

<p><a href="http://talk.collegeconfidential.com/yale-university/942995-yale-fan-chooses-harvard.html?highlight=yale+fan%5B/url%5D"&gt;http://talk.collegeconfidential.com/yale-university/942995-yale-fan-chooses-harvard.html?highlight=yale+fan&lt;/a&gt;&lt;/p>

<p>Wow.</p>

<p>
[quote]
The Intel ISEF 2010 Grand Award Winners</p>

<p>Yale Wang Fan, Beaverton, OR, USA
Intel Foundation Young Scientist Award Winner</p>

<p>In the not-so-distant future, advanced quantum computing methods could offer exponential savings in time and space over classical computing algorithms.</p>

<p>In his research, Yale Wang Fan, a senior at Catlin Gabel School in Portland, Oregon, demonstrated the power of quantum computing in solving 揘P-complete?(NPC) problems, among the toughest to solve using traditional computing. Fan抯 work offers a highly improved model of adiabatic quantum evolution, a method of solving optimization problems proposed by Farhi et al. of MIT. Recent theoretical work has only studied the performance of simple linear adiabatic evolution on random ensembles of NP-complete problems. However, Fan was able to show numerically that a nonlinear adiabatic path can greatly decrease the time complexity of the algorithm when applied to random hard instances of NP-complete problems, suggesting that the nonlinear adiabatic quantum algorithm can outperform classical algorithms on such ensembles. </p>

<p>Fan抯 work provides new insight into the advanced capabilities of quantum computing, based on theoretical physics, mathematics and computer science.

[/quote]
</p>

<p>Intel</a> International Science and Engineering Fair: Winners</p>

<p>Yay for choosing Harvard :).</p>

<p>^Wah, another super-smart individual!
I'm getting more excited by the minute. :) Go Yale!</p>

<p>
[quote]
nonlinear adiabatic quantum algorithm

[/quote]
</p>

<p>Is this supposed to be comprehensible, or is it the linguistic gobbledygook I perceive it to be?</p>

<p>LOL that name. That is an amazing -albeit slightly giggly- name to have. :)</p>

<p>^^for me, definitely the latter :P.</p>

<p>This is amazing. And I can't believe that the irony was lost on the Harvard Admissions Committee which must have considered how much fun it would be to enroll Mr. Yale Fan.</p>

<p>If there are any expectant parents out there whose last name is "Mann" and they want their new son to have a potential Harvard hook, they may want to consider naming him "Yale."</p>

<p>Yale have fans?</p>

<p>I'd admit Mr. Fan even if he had 2.0 GPA with a 1500 SAT.</p>

<p>Wow, I really didn't understand anything in that summary of his research</p>

<p>I have to say that, true, the topic is kind of amusing. However, the point is that Mr. Fan, who has heard bad jokes about his name for awhile now, is no longer amused.</p>

<p>Quoting him: "It seems like I can't ignore this anymore, but I'll say that this topic is anything but newsworthy. The Crimson had insisted on a several-minute phone interview, which I thought would be harmless, so I consented...Of course, you know that I don't seek or desire this kind of attention."</p>