Yale Student Gives Up Rhodes Scholarship to Play Football

<p>Witt</a> forgoes Rhodes for Game | Yale Daily News</p>

<p>"Two weeks after becoming a Rhodes Scholarship Finalist, Yale quarterback Patrick Witt ’12 made the decision to play against Harvard in The Game on Saturday rather than attend his finalist interview for the Rhodes Scholarship."</p>

<p>Good thing he can reapply.</p>

<p>That's some serious dedication.</p>

<p>He has a good chance to be the only quarterback in Yale's long history to lose to Harvard three times.</p>

<p>The odds of winning the Rhodes were better.</p>

<p>This didn't work out too well for him.</p>

<p>Sent from my T-Mobile myTouch 3G Slide using CC App</p>

<p>Todays New York Times reports that the Rhodes Committee had no knowledge that he had ever applied for the scholarship. I wonder what the descrepancy is all about?</p>

<p>^It's not the candidacy of the quarterback, Witt, that's in question. It's the long-ago candidacy of Yale's football coach, Williams. </p>

<p><a href="http://www.nytimes.com/2011/11/17/sports/ncaafootball/the-same-tough-call-well-not-quite.html%5B/url%5D"&gt;http://www.nytimes.com/2011/11/17/sports/ncaafootball/the-same-tough-call-well-not-quite.html&lt;/a&gt;&lt;/p>

<p>^^Thanks for the clarification and link.</p>

<p>He skipped the Rhode Scholarship to get crushed by Harvard...that sucks! Such -blind- dedication. LOL. Ahhh well, he will always remembered as the Quarterback who thought he could. I still respect his choice.</p>

<p>There was a nice article about this in the New Haven paper the day after The Game. Witt said that he knew when he applied for the Rhodes that there was a good chance the interview would conflict with the game, and there was never any question which he would do, and that he had just hoped that some way would be worked out for him to do both (which apparently had happened with others). The Harvard QB said that he would have made the same decision, which I thought was classy of him.</p>

<p>If you're the starting quarterback of the Yale football team, you're not going to skip the Harvard game for anything, except maybe a funeral--and even then, it would have to be your own funeral.</p>

<p>As for the coach, the brouhaha is over his statements that he was a "candidate" for a Rhodes scholarship when he was at Stanford. The Rhodes people say they have no record of his applying, while Stanford says something like he was approved to apply. I think what he said was probably "truthy" enough to be insignificant, especially since it's a claim about something he didn't even get. Who cares? I care a lot more that he told the team to go for it at 4th and 19 (or was it 23?) while they were in the lead and on Harvard's end of the field two years ago. This year, at least, was just a general shellacking without a mistake like that.</p>

<p>But the YPMB, as usual, beat the Harvard Band, so that's all that really matters.</p>

<p>There were those of us in the stands thinking of offering a quick trip to Atlanta at half time... :)</p>

<p>Alumni will take care of Witt for honoring the school. I do admire dedication to one's team. </p>

<p>My kid, I would have broken his arm and ended that decision.</p>

<p>

</p>

<p>That's right!!! My son is a freshman in the band and is having a blast, what a great group of kids. The theme of the halftime show was Harry Potter. The evil villain in the show was "Harvardemort" who was ultimately defeated by a Bulldog petronus. I hope it provided a little levity for those Bulldog fans in the stands who needed something to take their minds off of the score...</p>

<p>Misleading title, but he made the right choice nonetheless.</p>

<p>I also think it makes a difference that Witt could be good enough to be drafted into the NFL. He's not giving up the Rhodes Scholarship for a sport that he has no future in. According to some quick research, he could be drafted in Round 6 or 7 (the last 2 rounds of the draft, but still.)</p>

<p>If he wants to be drafted into the NFL, it might have been better for him to skip this particular game.</p>

<p>Well yes, but I don't think he planned on losing that badly ;)</p>

<p>A record-setting performance. In 128 games, he is the only Yale quarterback ever to lose to Harvard three times.</p>

<p>Can't post the link without a subscription, but here, from a Parents Forum post by samuck, is one of today's editorials in the London Times</p>

<p>November 23 2011 12:01AM</p>

<p>Don’t some people make the dumbest decisions? Patrick Witt, a student at Yale, faced a choice. He could lead his team out against Harvard in a match so steeped in college football folklore that it is known simply as “The Game”, or he could attend his final interviews to bag a Rhodes Scholarship to Oxford. Guess which of the two Witt chose? He chose to play football. Yale lost.</p>

<p>No, that wasn’t the dumb decision. This is: the Rhodes Trust was so thrown (“We have candidates every year miss games for the interview,” it said grandly) that it refused to reschedule Witt’s interview. Witt felt he had to withdraw his application. In a test of priorities, the Rhodes Trust has shown that it, and not Witt, has the wrong ones. “It’s a matter of principle,” Witt tells The Times. “It wouldn’t be right as the quarterback, the leader of your team, to turn your back on them for something that’s entirely selfish in nature.”</p>

<p>In founding the scholarships, Cecil Rhodes said that he did not want “merely bookworms”. He sought candidates who had “success in manly outdoor sports”; also people “of moral force and character and of instincts to lead and to take an interest in his schoolmates”. It could be a prize crafted with Witt in mind. As for Oxford, while it chooses not to interfere in the selection process, its reticence in this instance brings dishonour on the university.</p>

<p>Witt is not just Yale’s quarterback. He is among the greatest in Yale’s history. He realised that had he opted to skip the game, he wouldn’t have been “acting like the person they selected to interview”. It is sobering that this student can recognise what the Rhodes selectors cannot: Patrick Witt’s choice should be all the proof the trust needs to reassure itself that it has found a worthy Rhodes Scholar. "</p>

<p>"Witt is not just Yale’s quarterback. He is among the greatest in Yale’s history."</p>

<p>Lets not overstate things to make a good story better, "scouts mom". </p>

<p>Witt was not named to either the All Ivy first or second teams this week, although he was one of two quarterbacks given "honorable mention."</p>

<p>You don't have to go back to the stone age to find quarterbacks like Joe Walland and Brian Dowling who were REALLY "among the greatest in Yale history." Plus, neither of them lost to Harvard three times.</p>