Yale student leaves note, jumps from the Empire State Building

<p>Another sad story. Yale</a> student plunged from Empire State Building</p>

<p>More information. Two siblings in college, one Yale and one Duke. Parents are physicians. No one saw it coming. Drs</a>. Janet Lindsey and Shad Dabaghi, Devastated Parents of Yale Student, Cameron Dabaghi Vitals Spotlight – We Give the Doctor an Exam</p>

<p>Why so much family info in that article? Why is that relevant?</p>

<p>Yes, that is strange but it seems an attempt to bring down successful people as not good parent.</p>

<p>So so sad. My prayers go out to the family and friends. I thought that they had made a really good barrier there after an incident a number of years back. I guess not good enough.</p>

<p>I read it a different way as an opportunity to identify with the parents and offer loving thoughts to people really suffering. Without any identifying data that would be more difficult.</p>

<p>Might be wrong, but that's what it does for me.</p>

<p>Very sad. Why didn't he turn to his sister at Yale for support. We'll likely never know.</p>

<p>This is so so sad. The news no parent wants to ever receive, or even contemplate.</p>

<p>I think the article included so much info about the parents because it was on a website focused on and for physicians.</p>

<p>^I see. As a physician, that seemed especially inappropriate to me. Hard to imagine.</p>

<p>^^^^
As a physician (psychiatrist) I guess I see it differently. The young man's privileged background is relevant (see article here) and demonstrates that mental illness crosses all socioeconomic boundaries. Depression is a lethal illness, and suicide is one of the main causes of death in this age range. There needs to be better recognition, especially in our colleges and universities, of severe mental illness, and prevention of suicide.</p>

<p>Friends</a>, family 'floored' by Yale junior's leap off Empire State Building observation deck</p>

<p>^^agree...as a clinical social worker, it is helpful for all, parents, college administration, professors and fellow students to understand that depression is real, and needs to be recognized. unfortunately there is still such a stigma attached to mental illness...leaving people without the care and treatment they need. seems harder for young men to seek help...let's give permission to each other to acknowledge when we are struggling...and make it okay to ask for help. may he rest in peace...</p>

<p>I agree that depression still carries a stigma and people of all ages have a problem reaching out for help--but I think it is even more difficult for college age students. High schoolers are usually still living with parents but college students are in an environment where they often feel that "everyone" else is coping fine, happy, academically and socially successful and they are uncomfortable admitting to peers that all is not ok. </p>

<p>I have known more than one young man that ended up dropping out of school for a semester or two due to depression/anxiety. Things had to get so bad that they couldn't function before anyone knew something was going on.</p>

<p>I agree increased awareness is good, but I guess I am identifying with these parents, and would want some privacy in which to grieve. It seems unusual to me that actual names are revealed.I guess its a question of whose needs are most pressing.</p>

<p>PS I'm a (Child) Psychiatrist as well!</p>

<p>Just as we educate our kids on their physical well being (proper nutrition, when to seek medical help, how to seek medical help, routine physicals, etc.), parents need to also educate their kids on mental health. It needs to stop being taboo to discuss this kind of stuff with our kids. Parents need to include talking to their kids about mental health to the list of "important talks" right up there with talks about sex, drugs, nutrition, health, character, integrity, etc.</p>

<p>This line,
[quote]
felt under constant pressure to perform well at school - but nothing any of them thought out of the ordinary for the Ivy League.

[/quote]
sure makes me rethink the "value" of an ivy league education.</p>

<p>Yale – Mar-10: "Dabaghi was an East Asian studies major…..”</p>

<p>NYU – Nov-09: “….Williamson-Noble, who was majoring in East Asian Studies….”</p>

<p>I think both were juniors. Are alot of students majoring in East Asian Studies? Or does it make some people question the value of their life?</p>

<p>Somewhere I missed the link to depression as the cause of his suicide.</p>

<p>Good lord, Bonnie! My S, a junior, is a EAS major. I don't think it has brought him to the brink of suicide. The 2 Cornell students were engineering students and there was a huge discussion about the stress of the engineering major. I see these as more demographic factors - not the straw that broke the camel's back.
These students presumably had an underlying mental illness - depression, chemical imbalance, whatever. I don't think it is ever possible to point to one factor as the causative agent.</p>

<p>Absolutely, there's no one factor. But if someone has an underlying mental illness, combined with other factors or events going on, makes some people wonder.</p>

<p>A friend who was into philosophy had listed out the good/bad things going on in his life, weighted them as to importance to him, factored in timing (good things far in the future had less weight) and came down with a number re: live or die. He said his studies in philosophy made him question so much in his life. Granted, he had mental health issues. It was depression combined with his readings that made him see things in a much more negative light.</p>

<p>Anti-depressants are sometimes linked to suicide. Apparently, deeply depressed people often don't have the mental energy to commit suicide. In some cases, an anti-depressant brings them up just enough that they take action on their suicidal thoughts.</p>

<p>Still have not seen a link to depression per say...</p>

<p>I just hate making assumptions...</p>