years of divorce have conditioned me to say "my parents" even though I have only one

<p>And I still do it, even to those who I know are familiar with my family structure, lol. </p>

<p>I wonder if anybody who visits here does the same? Like the first few years, because of the manner in which my father left, I kind of said “parents” to cover up everything, as though there was some sort of stigma, haha. But now I can’t get rid of the habit.</p>

<p>I rather like the generic term of “folks” which applies to extended and unofficial family members…gives one a sense of belonging to the culture from which we have sprung and/or through which we have passed. “My folks” can be parents, community members, extended family, whatever.</p>

<p>My parents are divorced. I will use “my parents” to describe my biological parents, my mom and stepdad, my dad and stepmom, or both bio and stepparents, depending on the context.</p>

<p>I was never trying to cover up anything, though. It was just easier that way.</p>

<p>I definitely use that term. Especially when I just don’t feel like explaining my whole life story to people I’ve just met. If I say “my mom and my step dad” or “my dad” people always follow up with, “oh and where is your mom?” or “Oh, what does your real father do?” It can be kinda annoying.</p>

<p>I find I refer to “my parents” - although my father is deceased. I’m 55 years old and my dad died 2 years ago. I guess it’s just habit.</p>

<p>Say whatever is comfortable for you. Certainly no need to discuss your family history with everyone you meet!</p>

<p>I had divorced parents, and when I was college age, I almost never referred to them as “my parents” because I didn’t think of them as a unit. I would be more likely to refer to either of them as individuals – my mom said this or my dad did that. To me, having people refer to their parents as a unit always seemed really weird.</p>

<p>I never concealed the fact that my parents were divorced – even though this was in the 1970s, when divorce was much less common. Other young people used to ask me whether it was strange to have divorced parents and be part of two families, but to me it was ordinary.</p>

<p>My D uses the term ‘parents’ to refer to any and all parental figures in her life such as me, or her dad (we are divorced), or both of us, or one of her biological parents and their spouses (her step parents). We all care about her and share the same goals and (in her mind) the same thoughts, so it makes sense to her to speak of us as “my parents”.</p>

<p>i use parents to refer to my mom, dad, and stepdad…or any combination of the three.</p>

<p>Situations like this, the term “parental units” comes in handy! :)</p>

<p>“My parental unit used to get upset whenever I walked any long distance without motorised transportation. It should totally chill.” </p>

<p>Hmm, seems kind of unwieldy.</p>

<p>“Parental unit” has a slightly off-center and slightly nerdy way of referring to them, which I always liked. :slight_smile:
Although when someone mistakes a step parent for a biological one, I don’t correct or affirm it.</p>

<p>I never thought of my parents as a unit because they were divorced when I was nine years old, but I often referred to them that way in conversations with others simply because it was easier. Often, the fact that they were divorced was irrelevant to the conversation. Referring to them in any other way would have made it harder to say whatever I wanted to say.</p>

<p>Parents are parents whether they are married or divorced, or single. A single parent is still a parent, it does not really refer to their status with each other. And a room full of parents is still a room full of parents. So I think its fine.</p>

<p>I think it is more distracting to repeatedly use my “divorced” parents, and as awkward as saying my “adopted” children or grandchildren. No explaination is needed. ;).</p>

<p>Similarly, my son is my son although legally I have adopted him. I never refer to him as stepson or as adopted son unless a specific legal or medical reason calls for it. Not my real son? Oh yes he is. Although not born from me he is my son.</p>