<p>I guess it depends on the type of room and the school. But I don’t know if this really is the same as a coffee maker in the traditional sense. When I checked at the school the student will be attending, the housing web page said the following were allowed even in regular dorm rooms “Single cup brewing systems with no hot plate”. I guess the lack of hot surface is what makes the keurig different from a regular coffee maker.</p>
<p>College students would never make to class if they couldn’t have coffee makers in their rooms!! It was no problem at the two schools in our family so far.</p>
<p>Coffee makers were not allowed in either of my D or S’s dorms. S’s said it was o.k. if it was “thermostatically controlled”. There were coffee makers on the floors…and of course, Starbucks was nearby…</p>
<p>The Keurig is a great option. They not only sell coffee for the machine but also tea and chocolate. Clean-up is also a breeze, something very important when living in small spaces like dorms. If you want to buy your own coffee they have refillable cartridges, but I do not know if they work very well.</p>
<p>I bought my son one of the reusable filters - he liked it as much as he liked the Keurig prepared cups. Just rinse when done, or before refilling again. I bought mine at Kohl’s when I had a 30% off coupon (the reusable filter).</p>
<p>H uses the reusable filters everyday with his favorite coffee.</p>
<p>The K-cups seem like an enormous amount of plastic going into the landfill – the reusable filters make so much more sense and are probably way cheaper too!</p>
<p>The whole K- cup fad is terrible for the environment - soooooooo much excess packaging, and some of it non-recyclable.
And price - the per-serving cost is HUGE. 50-75 cents per small cup. You can do quite a bit better buying a big bag of coffee and using a regular coffeemaker, even if you sometimes don’t drink all the coffee. And that price for a cup of tea is crazy – even fancy tea bags are at most 15-20 cents.</p>
<p>Which is why I’d love to have one - to use the reusable filter with my favorite coffees (you can buy so many flavors now at the store - I buy a few - just get 1/2 lb or so, grind the beans and keep in plastic containers. But to still have the ease/convenience of one cup at a time brewing.</p>
<p>Maybe it’s my imagination but I don’t think the coffee is as good brewed in the one cup machines. A friend has one and I can guess when she uses the one cup and when she brews a pot. I guess it could be the sense of smell kicking in.</p>
<p>cartera45, I don’t care for it either (but the person I purchased one for and her family have one at home and love it). I always chalked it up to the fact that I drank it in doctors offices and they always had that powdered creamer to mix in. But now I have tried it at a few friends houses, and I just don’t like it whenever they serve it. I am always surprised at how popular they are. We had a senseo single serving system which was a little different and loved the coffee from that, but they never took off the way the Keurig has.</p>
<p>I only used them when in hotels and to be honest I love them. I am a big coffee drinker,( mostly espressos and cappuccinos) so I was quite surprise when I tried a cup of coffee from a Keurig machine and found it bold and fresh. No after taste. About waste and cost: I think those machines are meant for people that drink 1-2 cups a day, so for that reason I do not think the cost is relevant. It is also cleaner and safer than those old coffee makers.</p>
<p>I have also never liked the Keurig coffee I have tried! I am glad I am not alone lol. I am a huge coffee drinker as well. I do know many people who love theirs and they are great for students and people who live alone.</p>
<p>Has anyone tried espresso from a Starbucks Verissimo? I have been eyeing this little machine for the purpose of making lattes but am wondering if the taste of the espresso is as good. I have a pump espresso maker now and I like it just fine when I use the Starbucks pods but it would be nice to have something a little easier to clean.</p>
<p>Momof3stars, I wonder the same thing. I have a Keurig and it’s ok. I also have a French press and if I want more than one cup I’ll use it but mostly I’m lazy and use the Keurig. When this breaks I want something different to make cappuccinos. </p>
<p>What works. I think I would love a nepresso machine but wonder how the Starbucks machine is. Keurig has partnered with lavazza to make an espresso/milk frother machine and I wonder if this makes a good cup or not.</p>
<p>I have a Nespresso and love it. Coffee is expensive though, because you have no option but to buy it from them. However I LOVE coffee and is a lot cheaper than Starbucks coffee. I have never tried the Starbucks coffee maker but it looks good. I just found it strange that the milk also came in those little cups. I guess it is optional. My Nespresso always to froth the milk on the side. I use a thermometer to make sure I get the right temperature.</p>
<p>Maybe we should start a thread about coffee makers! I think getting the keurig mini for $70 is a good buy!</p>
<p>DH bought me the Target version as a gift. Reusable filter, makes decent coffee. Perfect for us, I’m the only one who drinks coffee, and I only drink it once in a while.</p>
<p>FYI–it was a “good buy” he got it during the after Christmas sale.</p>
<p>From the Starbucks site I’ve read some complaints about the odd taste of the milk pods. I think you have to consider that the market is slightly different, and expectations possibly greater from the Starbucks crowd. I know I’ve been very hesitant to enter this market as I’m picky. My mom lives alone and loves her Keurig. I got DH a Keurig last year for his office he’s happy with. Given his work situation it’s the most practical and affordable option.</p>
<p>The secret to good Keurig coffee is the type of coffee. We have one at work, where these things really make sense. My favorite ones are Italian Barista and Starbucks Veranda. The first is robust and the latter is more mellow but neither is bitter. For more talk on coffee and Keurig, here are a couple of older threads: <a href=“http://talk.collegeconfidential.com/parent-cafe/1501236-coffee-people-educate-me-about-coffee-makers-please.html?highlight=keurig[/url]”>http://talk.collegeconfidential.com/parent-cafe/1501236-coffee-people-educate-me-about-coffee-makers-please.html?highlight=keurig</a> and <a href=“http://talk.collegeconfidential.com/parent-cafe/1326713-whats-your-favorite-type-k-cup-coffee.html?highlight=keurig[/url]”>http://talk.collegeconfidential.com/parent-cafe/1326713-whats-your-favorite-type-k-cup-coffee.html?highlight=keurig</a></p>
<p>My good buy on Tuesday was a little black dress from Liz Clairborne that I got for $5 at a Thrift store in Corning NY. Hoping it fits my daughter!</p>
<p>Went by Thrift store one day last week. Saw a lot of cars out front so decided to drop in. Found out every Wed. is 50% off all clothing day…wooohoo.
I came out with two pairs of shorts and seven tops for $17.63…the JCrew shirt I got was worth that much alone.</p>