<p>Does anyone know if I'm able to register to use a zipcar considering I've only been on my provisional licence for a couple of months?</p>

<p>I'm from Australia and will be going on exchange next year to Emory. A provisional licence is one step up from learners. It goes Learners --> P1 --> P2 --> fulls. I'm currently on the P1 licence.</p>

<p>Pls help! Cheers.</p>

<p>I think you can. If you're under 21 you need to be attending a university that has an agreement with ZipCar.</p>

<p>I don't believe international licenses are valid if you're going to be in the country for an extended duration. I know foreign students that come to my school all wind up getting a California issued driver's license.</p>

<p>Depends how long you've had the license. I'm not familiar with the length of time associated with each step of Australia's licensing system, but Zipcar's website states that you must have had a valid driver's license for at least one year. My guess would be this is so there is at least one year's record available to view.</p>

<p>Zipcar</a> - who is eligible</p>

<p>Further, if you have a foreign license, the procedures for submitting your driving record can be found here:
Zipcar</a> : Get a Zipcard : Foreign Drivers</p>

<p>Australia is listed, but I didn't see anything about what license step is eligible. I could just be overlooking it, though.</p>

<p>Thanks for your input guys.</p>

<p>I've only had my provisional licence for about 3 months but I've had my learner's for well over a year (just ever got around to upgrading as I used public transport most of the time). I guess I'll have to check with the Road & Transport Authority people to see if a one-year long driving record exists for me.</p>

<p>I'll only be in the US for 6 months max so I'm not sure it's worth it to get the state licence.
If I can't use the zipcar, does anyone know any other means of be able to use a car?</p>

<p>It will definitely depend on how Zipcar views such things and the rules in your country.</p>

<p>For example, in California, a learners is just a permit, not a license, so it would not count as part of the year requirement. One can only drive with it as long as their is a licensed driver over the age of 25 in the front passenger seat.</p>

<p>I looked up the rules for Australia's licensing. Interesting how the system even limits maximum speed! I also saw the rules on the Learners appears equivalent to a learners permit in the States (at least the few that I'm familiar with), though, not a license. I have high doubts it will qualify you. But there's no harm in asking since I certainly don't know for sure.</p>

<p>I don't know of any other way to access a car easily unless you purchased one. You would have to check local laws about the legality of using your license to drive it. You'd also have to have it registered, purchase insurance, etc. Most rental places require you to be 25 or older. The few that will allow you to be 21 or older will often require a non-refundable underage fee. I've yet to have personal experience with one that lets you be under 21 (excluding Zipcar college programs).</p>

<p>Getting a state license will not help you since it doesn't solve the "one year" issue.</p>

<p>Good luck, but I think you're SOL on this one.</p>

<p>Hmm it does seem that way unfortunately. I'll try my luck anyway, just in case.
Thanks Kender - for the extra effort you went to in looking into the Aus system!</p>