Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

NYU Tisch studio palcement

2»

Replies to: NYU Tisch studio palcement

• soozievtsoozievt Registered User, ! Posts: 31,536 Senior Member
    Keep in mind, too, that whichever studio you get, one of the beauties of Tisch is that after two years, or even after three years, you can opt to train in a different studio. So many of my D's peers, including herself, did this and it was NOT due to not liking their original studio and in fact, their original studios were their first choice. But they benefitted from the variety of training they got between two studios.
    Also, I am just a parent and not as articulate about ETW's training, but I would not say it focuses on improv. Don't confuse improv with self scripting. ETW teaches a variety of acting techniques. But they also create theater, and don't just work on established works. That is not improv but more self scripting. They create theater pieces. But they also have acting classes, voice/speech, movement and all the rest. In the upper level tracks, the students get to pick their training classes whereas in some studios, the training classes are prescribed all four years with little choice.
  • NJTheatreMOMNJTheatreMOM Registered User Posts: 3,673 Senior Member
    I'd like to say something about ETW, even though my son is not a student at Tisch. (He attends a different conservatory-type program.)

As I understand it, ETW focuses on physical acting. My son just finished a semester of physical acting training at his school (it's part of their sophomore year curriculum) and says it is one of the most wonderfully helpful and productive approaches to actor training he's ever encountered. He is probably going to spend his semester abroad during junior year at a physical acting-oriented program.

I asked a knowledgeable person whether my son's choosing a program that focuses on physical acting/commedia would not put him at a disadvantage compared to students in his program who go to London to study Shakespeare-oriented classical acting. She said no, the two programs simply represent two different approaches to classical training.

A lot of high school seniors applying to college don't know anything about physical acting. My son certainly didn't, but now he loves it and values it very highly. I imagine that this in some way parallels what Tisch students experience once they learn about what actually goes on at ETW. :)
    ^^Yes, that is very true. My D saw the talent of the kids coming out of ETW and that was one reason that motivated her to do it too (among other reasons). Yes, there is a lot of physical acting in ETW. As I said, many prospective students will say they are not interested in ETW and then once they get there and see what's going on at ETW, many want in! (or the summer program ETW runs in Amsterdam)
2»
This discussion has been closed.