Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.
The Forums will be unavailable Tuesday, June 25 starting at 9 am ET as we prepare for a major design update!

UK 2019- class of 2022/2023

Replies to: UK 2019- class of 2022/2023

• college curiouscollege curious Registered User Posts: 106 Junior Member
    @collegemom3717 just an interesting side note. My son has been talking a lot to his rep for St. Andrews and they said they try to not admit US student conditionally. If they are waiting on more test scores they will usually just wait for them and then admit or deny then after they come in. They just find it easier as many US students do not understand the whole conditional offer thing.
  • collegemom3717collegemom3717 Registered User Posts: 6,310 Senior Member
    That is interesting, @college curious- I hadn’t heard that. Useful for other applicants as well.

St As uses a broader application process than most UK universities, though, and makes the most effort to make itself accessible to US students so it makes sense.
  • johnnyajohnnya Registered User Posts: 38 Junior Member
    UPDATE: My son got an unconditional offer from Exeter and a conditional from York for BA in Archaeology. Still waiting on 3 others. He's very happy to have at least one in the bag.
  • elguapo1elguapo1 Registered User Posts: 444 Member
    Good work Johnny Jr. Will your son definitely go to the UK or is it just and option at the moment. If he is receiving offers from Exeter and York he should be good with Sheffield and Southampton, although I would pick either Exeter or York over Sheffield/Soton in terms of location. Durham is a tier above and will be more competitive but if he has the AP's he should be good there as well.
    Congrats to your son @johnnya!! It is interesting that York obviously does give out conditional offers. As St. Andrews said they try not to for Americans. Of course no need to say but if you don't mind I am curious. Was the conditional offer on his Subject test scores he is about to take or APs?
    The conditional is on one outstanding subject test.
    He is also applying to University College Dublin, which is, I believe, his first choice because of the strength of its experimental archaeology program. We're optimistic about all except Durham. And when he visited Durham this summer he was not keen. So, I think he's in good shape.
    FWIW: The lesson that has been the most striking in this process of looking at universities in Europe is the importance of choosing a program rather than a university. As mentioned in a previous post, my son is not keen on Durham in spite of the fact that it is an amazing university with a top archaeology program. But his interests are quite specific to a rather new sub-specialty in archaeology -- experimental archaeology. And for that, places like University College Dublin, Exeter, and York excel. So does UCL, but he did not want to be in London. Whereas in the U.S. we tend to focus on the overall university, it makes sense in Europe to give at least equal weight to the specific academic program in considering the best fit.
    Absolutely, @johnya. Even if your interests aren't as specific as your son's, it is much more important to compare course for course than it is in the US. A surprising number of students don't realize how different English at (say) Kings is from English at (say) UCL- and haven't read the fine print well enough to know how rigid the courses can be.
  • kiwi351kiwi351 Registered User Posts: 44 Junior Member
    Just got an unconditional offer for King's College for Mathematics and Management 7 days after sending my application!!!!!!!
  • Conformist1688Conformist1688 Registered User Posts: 1,084 Senior Member
    Congrats!
    @kiwi351 WOW Congrats!!
    Congrats, @kiwi351! nice to have one in your pocket :-)
  • Twoin18Twoin18 Registered User Posts: 1,393 Senior Member
    Congrats @kiwi351. Its great to have a KCL unconditional acceptance so soon. Hopefully it will help you to edit down your list of US backup options considerably.
  • kiwi351kiwi351 Registered User Posts: 44 Junior Member
    Thank you to all who helped me on this sub, and hopefully, I'll have more acceptances coming!
  • whimsicalwhimswhimsicalwhims Registered User Posts: 683 Member
    Hi everyone! I’ve posted before on this part of the forum but never to this thread! I submitted my app through UCAS for English and Classics on the 15th, and thus far, I’ve received a conditional from King’s College London- 5 (AP English Literature), 5, and a 4- this Monday, and an unconditional from University of Edinburgh today. Needless to say, I’m very happy, but am still awaiting decisions from University of St. Andrews, University College London (where I applied for just English), and Oxford (my top choice).

I’m taking the CAT and ELAT next Wednesday, so fingers crossed that goes well and I’m at least invited to interview. Good luck to everyone else!