right arrow
Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Join us for a LIVE webinar Thursday, June 11 at 7pm ET to hear from students on how COVID-19 impacted their college plans and current on-campus experiences. Zai, Ethan, and Rohan will share information about their college and application experiences. REGISTER NOW!
College Confidential stands united with African American students and their families against racial injustice and in pursuit of higher education and equality in America.
GUEST STUDENT OF THE WEEK: Zai Dawodu overcame a low GPA to get into top schools like Northwestern or NYU. She'll be attending Northwestern to study Computer Science. ASK HER ANYTHING!
Make sure to check out our June Checklists for HS Juniors and HS Seniors. Consult these quick resources to get you started on the process this month.
As we work to adjust to the current reality, make sure to check out these dedicated COVID-19 resources: our directory of virtual campus tours, our directory of extended deadlines, as well as the list of schools going test optional this fall.

UK 2019- class of 2022/2023

Replies to: UK 2019- class of 2022/2023

• johnnyajohnnya 34 replies4 threads Junior Member
    The conditional is on one outstanding subject test.
    He is also applying to University College Dublin, which is, I believe, his first choice because of the strength of its experimental archaeology program. We're optimistic about all except Durham. And when he visited Durham this summer he was not keen. So, I think he's in good shape.
    · Reply · Share
    FWIW: The lesson that has been the most striking in this process of looking at universities in Europe is the importance of choosing a program rather than a university. As mentioned in a previous post, my son is not keen on Durham in spite of the fact that it is an amazing university with a top archaeology program. But his interests are quite specific to a rather new sub-specialty in archaeology -- experimental archaeology. And for that, places like University College Dublin, Exeter, and York excel. So does UCL, but he did not want to be in London. Whereas in the U.S. we tend to focus on the overall university, it makes sense in Europe to give at least equal weight to the specific academic program in considering the best fit.
    · Reply · Share
  • collegemom3717collegemom3717 7776 replies82 threads Senior Member
    Absolutely, @johnya. Even if your interests aren't as specific as your son's, it is much more important to compare course for course than it is in the US. A surprising number of students don't realize how different English at (say) Kings is from English at (say) UCL- and haven't read the fine print well enough to know how rigid the courses can be.
    · Reply · Share
  • kiwi351kiwi351 33 replies11 threads Junior Member
    Just got an unconditional offer for King's College for Mathematics and Management 7 days after sending my application!!!!!!!
    · Reply · Share
  • Conformist1688Conformist1688 1222 replies29 threads Senior Member
    Congrats!
    · Reply · Share
  • college curiouscollege curious 104 replies2 threads Junior Member
    @kiwi351 WOW Congrats!!
    · Reply · Share
    Congrats, @kiwi351! nice to have one in your pocket :-)
    · Reply · Share
  • Twoin18Twoin18 2121 replies21 threads Senior Member
    Congrats @kiwi351. Its great to have a KCL unconditional acceptance so soon. Hopefully it will help you to edit down your list of US backup options considerably.
    · Reply · Share
  • kiwi351kiwi351 33 replies11 threads Junior Member
    Thank you to all who helped me on this sub, and hopefully, I'll have more acceptances coming!
    · Reply · Share
  • whimsicalwhimswhimsicalwhims 661 replies22 threads Member
    Hi everyone! I’ve posted before on this part of the forum but never to this thread! I submitted my app through UCAS for English and Classics on the 15th, and thus far, I’ve received a conditional from King’s College London- 5 (AP English Literature), 5, and a 4- this Monday, and an unconditional from University of Edinburgh today. Needless to say, I’m very happy, but am still awaiting decisions from University of St. Andrews, University College London (where I applied for just English), and Oxford (my top choice).

I’m taking the CAT and ELAT next Wednesday, so fingers crossed that goes well and I’m at least invited to interview. Good luck to everyone else!
    · Reply · Share
  • elguapo1elguapo1 441 replies3 threads Member
    I wont lie, UCL and Oxford for English will be tough, you have a better chance at St Andrews as they are more accommodating to Americans, but still, English is an extremely popular subject and so your offer may be conditional. Good luck, let us know how you get on.
    · Reply · Share
  • Conformist1688Conformist1688 1222 replies29 threads Senior Member
    Good luck with the tests, @whimsicalwhims .
    · Reply · Share
  • HazeGreyHazeGrey 258 replies4 threads Junior Member
    Best of luck @whimsicalwhims Which Oxford college did you apply to?
    · Reply · Share
    Son received a "virtual" unconditional offer from the University of Sheffield for archaeology. I say "virtual" because they simply stated their minimum entry requirements as the condition.
    · Reply · Share
  • aileleailele 36 replies4 threads Junior Member
    Congratulations. Is the King's college one of Cambridge? Thanks.
    · Reply · Share
    Did anybody receive interview notice from Cambridge?
    · Reply · Share
    @ailele, I think that the poster means Kings College London. Cambridge interview invitations haven't gone out yet, and Cambridge offers don't go out until January.
    · Reply · Share
    Many thanks.
    · Reply · Share
    Did anybody receive interview notice from Cambridge?
    · Reply · Share
    Lol- patience @ailele :-). preinterview assessment tests were just a few days ago. Also, you need to be specific, by college & subject. I know the waiting is hard, but don’t expect anything this side of Thanksgiving.
    · Reply · Share