Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

University of Pittsburgh Class of 2023 Discussion Thread

Replies to: University of Pittsburgh Class of 2023 Discussion Thread

• carachel2carachel2 Registered User Posts: 2,974 Senior Member
    @JMS111 speaks the truth. Every year there are kids who apply to Pitt with great stats...say ACT 30-32 and a high GPA and they persist in believing that somehow their kid will get merit. "But my kid got merit at X school and X school" and then they proceed to act angry and miffed at Pitt for not giving merit.

Pitt is pretty clear about the minimum threshold for merit. There are perhaps a FEW outliers who post that they got merit but for the most part Pitt sticks very close to their merit threshold. And it's competitive merit, not automatic.

Don't put your fingers in your ears or cover your eyes. Help your student be realistic and objective.
  • JMS111JMS111 Registered User Posts: 146 Junior Member
    Hmm, thanks for the refinements. Not sure how I left the impression 32 is a given for merit at Pitt ("So, a given ACT score won’t guarantee merit at Pitt." and "32+ ACT OOS applicants is more realistic at Pitt than at many state or state-related institutions of its caliber"). Glad collegeisago you agree it is there for some of those 32+ kids.

I am sure plenty of people waited three to five months. Plenty did not. Not sure what the "norm" is, even culled from the very small universe of CC posts. Pitt does rolling merit review, and sometimes makes decisions relatively quickly and sometimes reserves decision for months (as late as March).

I think for now I'll stand by "32+ ACT OOS applicants is more realistic at Pitt than at many state or state-related institutions of its caliber." I recognize a caliber measure is subjective.

Other great schools, public and private, will give more merit for the same stats than Pitt. How many are state/state-related, give awards to OOS students, and similar to Pitt -- there I think the list shortens a great deal. And among publics and privates similar to Pitt, how then does the COA compare after merit awards (even larger ones than Pitt gives) are applied, especially at private institutions. Agreed, most importantly, families should build target lists of admissions/financial safeties/matches/reaches that suit a kid's interests and needs in a university. Pitt may find its way on to some of those lists, as it did for our doughnut hole family looking to include some OOS publics/state-related that give merit aid for OOS 32+ ACT kids.

I'll also demur on needing a 34 ACT for a "real shot" at some merit at Pitt. It's that sentiment I think is too discouraging. If I am too hot on Pitt merit, I think that is too cold. Collegeisago probably has it just about right as to OOS 32+ applicants: "Obviously, this should not discourage potential OOS applicants from applying because after all many schools should be target in order to see how it all plays out."

Again, "a given ACT score won't guarantee merit at Pitt."

Thanks for the discussion. Quite soon, the results and speculation from those battling through this admissions cycle will take over --- and a "Pitt Merit Class of 2023" thread will materialize to provide up-to-date insights.

Best of luck to everyone.

• JMS111JMS111 Registered User Posts: 146 Junior Member
    Hi carachel2 -- Thanks much, and I posted the additional thoughts above before seeing your post. Thanks again.
  • ahowe81600ahowe81600 Registered User Posts: 1 New Member
    I am currently applying for the school of nursing what do my chances look like?
    SAT:1180 (520 ERBW, Math 660)
    GPA: 3.6
    I did take the SAT once before and got an 1130 on it but I improved in both sections the second time around. I am taking the ACT this weekend. I have a lot of extracurriculars. I have taken a lot of college prep and ap courses throughout high school. I know it’s gonna be tough to get in but this is my number one choice by far.
  • Senior_1999Senior_1999 Registered User Posts: 225 Junior Member
    @Hopetobeapittmom I was reading your comment . Was your son’s final sat score a 1230’after it was superscored and he took it again ? I’m just curious . My son’s highest score is a 1220 ( not superscored, both both reading and math were highest on this test ) . He did take again last month , but he does not believe his scores improved so there should be no reason to send them in. Did your son get in with a 1230’? My son has a 1220 , a weighted 4.1 gpa and 3.6 unweighted , hard rigor of classes . Applied to arts and sciences . Wondering about his chances . Thanks
  • divol19divol19 Registered User Posts: 10 New Member
    My student submitted his app through coalition a few days ago. It says he should be receiving an email with info about sending SRAR info, but hasn't received it yet. Does that usually take a while to receive? Anyone have any info?
  • hailtopitt1787hailtopitt1787 Registered User, College Rep Posts: 1,923 Senior Member
    @divol19, I would say, if you don't get it by early next week feel free to give our office a call and check on it: 412-624-7488.

Best,
    A Pitt Admissions Staffer
  • NovaMom93NovaMom93 Registered User Posts: 111 Junior Member
    Hey everyone - my D received a "Pitt ID - Keep this handy" email yesterady. I'm hoping this means that her app is being reviewed and decisions will come soon. Neurotic, I know! Anyone else receive this email?
  • collegenervous21collegenervous21 Registered User Posts: 15 New Member
    does anyone know when to expect a decision if an application is already fully completed?
  • NovaMom93NovaMom93 Registered User Posts: 111 Junior Member
    The official word is late September/early October for August/September apps completed. However, it seems from last year's thread, that the first announcements were made in mid-September.
  • Winky1Winky1 Registered User Posts: 1,377 Senior Member
    Best of luck - very exciting! I believe my daughter was accepted in mid-Sept. last year, and I remember a handful of postings of acceptances before hers. I think acceptances will start coming soon. And if I remember, the emails came around 3 p.m.
    Good Luck!! H2P :)
  • rlenardrlenard Registered User Posts: 25 Junior Member
    i got it today as well! i hope it equals admission although i’m a little doubtful it will be haha
  • DJCURRYBEATS19DJCURRYBEATS19 Registered User Posts: 142 Junior Member
    I got the Pitt ID number and information yesterday, hoping that means that my application is being looked at now... I’m so nervous to get a decision back!
  • lola3253lola3253 Registered User Posts: 7 New Member
    edited September 2018
    Hi can someone tell me if I have a good chance at getting into the Nursing (honors) program at Pitt?
    - 1460 SAT (800 R&W/660 M)
    - 32 ACT
    - 12 AP classes
    - Extracurriculars (Tennis, NHS, HOSA)
    - 3.9/4.0 GPA
    Thanks! I’m not sure what the past scores have been, but here’s to hoping!
  • hailtopitt1787hailtopitt1787 Registered User, College Rep Posts: 1,923 Senior Member
    edited September 2018
    Hello! To all asking about the application ID email: that just goes out to anyone who has applied to Pitt. It is intended to give you access to our applicant portal so that you can check and make sure nothing is missing from your application.

Notification of admission decision comes via email/letter (it is not posted in the portal). The late September/early October timeline for August/early September applicants is a good rule of thumb. Please don't worry if it is just a little bit later, our team is doing our best to review every application as efficiently and thoroughly as possible and we look forward to seeing yours!

Best,
    A Pitt Admissions Staffer