Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

Rejected for ME

Replies to: Rejected for ME

• jbournejbourne Registered User Posts: 573 Member
    Rejected for Mechanical Engineering :(
    GPA - 3.7 UW/ 4.0 W
    SAT - 1450/2130
    Accepted at UCI
  • einnobeinnob Registered User Posts: 956 Member
    blablaboi, each major most DEFINITELY has
    different acceptance rates.
  • DrWurmDrWurm Registered User Posts: 8 New Member
    I'm an EE major at Cal Poly. I applied for transfer last year with a 3.68 GPA and not even 1 circuits class completed.

My friend, from the same CC I transferred from, applied this year for ME with a 3.7 GPA and much more coursework done than me. She just got rejected.

Cal Poly is in the process of rebuilding their UU and just built the nation's largest on-campus apartment complex (which I'm currently living in). I imagine that the cost of these projects, combined with the economic state has pretty much brought acceptance chances down to luck. Everyone seriously applying has a a reasonably high GPA, but not everyone can be taken. It's definitely pretty sad that people who deserve a Cal Poly education are being denied it because of the year they happened to apply.

Anyway, if you get rejected from Cal Poly, I'd head to Long Beach for number 2; if you're only looking for CSUs, that is. Long Beach is actually superior to Pomona in their engineering programs, if I recall correctly.
  • blablaboi1blablaboi1 Registered User Posts: 285 Junior Member
    @ jbourne
    I got admitted to UCI along with their honors program (Mech engineering major). And I got rejected by cal poly? :(
  • leslielundeleslielunde Registered User Posts: 31 Junior Member
    Rejected cal poly slo animal scence transfer 3.67 all pre reqs and work exprience
  • CalPolyEngineerCalPolyEngineer Registered User Posts: 182 Junior Member
    @ DrWurm

How is LBSU "superior" than Cal Poly Pomona (CPP) in engineering? CPP offers more majors than LBSU in engineering

List of engineering programs in the California State University - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

and is ranked far higher in engineering by US NEWS

http://www.cefns.nau.edu/Academic/CS/misc_docs/UG_engineering_ranking_08.pdf
  • DrWurmDrWurm Registered User Posts: 8 New Member
    @CalPolyEngineer

I tacked on the "If I recall correctly" for a reason. I'm not positive about the rankings. I believe CSU LB scores higher overall as a public undergrad university, and I believe that, at least when I was checking before applying in 2008, LB beats out some of Pomona's engineering programs. I definitely don't believe the discrepancy is as large as your US News link would imply. Once I got accepted to SLO, of course, my interest in keeping current with college rankings declined a bit.
  • pyrozapyroza Registered User Posts: 1,354 Member
    Isn't SJSU considered the best CSU aside from the Polys for engineering?
  • naixn92naixn92 Registered User Posts: 522 Member
    SJSU is a great school for engineering, as well as cal poly pomona.
  • samantha08samantha08 Registered User Posts: 67 Junior Member
    Rejected for Child Development, 3.0 (CC transfer). Not surprising, my GPA is really low.
  • SRLAXMOMSRLAXMOM Registered User Posts: 6 New Member
    My son got into Cal Poly ED General Engineering. We were told that was the way to get into Cal Poly.Most of the Engineering majors are impacted so apply to General.We followed their advice and he got in. GPA 4.1 ACT 29
  • blablaboi1blablaboi1 Registered User Posts: 285 Junior Member
    Darn! I didn't know there was "general engineering" for cal poly. I would've selected that instead of EE for my alternative major.
  • wootwootmanwootwootman Registered User Posts: 45 Junior Member
    they never consider you for your alt major
  • sunnybaNANAsunnybaNANA Registered User Posts: 431 Member
    I got rejected too ): ):
    I've never gotten a rejection letter before LOOOL. So it feels kind of weird right now...
    But at the same time this is the 3rd result I've gotten back so I should be prepared to have way more since I applied to 10+ schools LOOOL.
    CSU GPA: 3.4 ):
    SAT I: 1850
    ECs: Quite a lot :/
    Major: Psychology
    Aiyah D:
  • orange00orange00 Registered User Posts: 1 New Member
    same. biological sciences
This discussion has been closed.