right arrow
Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04

Our Fresh New Look Is Here

Replies to: Our Fresh New Look Is Here

• bopperbopper 13913 replies98 discussionsForum Champion CWRU Posts: 14,011 Forum Champion
    @CTTC I haven't left...but am making sure to monitor my forum but that is about it. I used to watch and comment on about 6 different subforums. If the powers that be think this format is more important than experienced posters answering questions, that is their choice.
    · Reply · Share
  • circuitridercircuitrider 3193 replies157 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 3,350 Senior Member
    On the issue of college/university lists, just about the only recent change I actually welcomed was the relocation of the Ivy League List to the bottom of the page.
    · Reply · Share
  • skieuropeskieurope 37864 replies6552 discussionsSuper Moderator Posts: 44,416 Super Moderator
    edited July 12
    On the issue of college/university lists, just about the only recent change I actually welcomed was the relocation of the Ivy League List to the bottom of the page.
    As an aside, and I'm just using this post as an example, not picking on @circuitrider , but now that users have discovered colors (not that it was a big secret), please don't test them all out here. I'm accepting of the bold grey, but users have been typing in yellow and magenta and the like. If I can;'t read it, I doubt that many of those with older eyes than mine can either, so I've deleted.
    edited July 12
    · Reply · Share
  • jym626jym626 54921 replies2852 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 57,773 Senior Member
    Soooo, back to the “why are some schools more prominent” question.... reading this 6 year old article from Chronicles about the way some of the things used to be on cc https://www.chronicle.com/article/College-Confidential-A-Field/138865. it seems schools could “sponsor” a discussion forum for $800
    Hobsons has also monetized the site's popularity. About 700 colleges advertise here. Look, there's a banner ad for the University of Alabama, and one for Full Sail University. There's more: "At College Confidential we can tailor a custom exposure program to meet your needs," says the site. Colleges may sponsor a discussion forum ($800 a month) or advertise on the mobile application ($1,500 a month). Geo-targeting and retargeting are also options ($600 for 50,000 impressions). A student who visits a forum on visual and performing arts will surely see ads from colleges promoting such programs.
    Can’t recall how the discussion sponsoring (separate form the banner advertising) was was evident, if it even was, but alas, perhaps its less about “favoritism” or conspiracy theories and even more and more about the almighty dollar. No surprise there.
    · Reply · Share
  • yucca10yucca10 1154 replies34 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 1,188 Senior Member
    By the way, my username was mentioned but I didn't get any notifications.
    · Reply · Share
  • KnowsstuffKnowsstuff 3393 replies11 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 3,404 Senior Member
    @yucca10. Did you get this one? Might if been formated wrong?
    · Reply · Share
  • ChoatieMomChoatieMom 5158 replies236 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 5,394 Senior Member
    edited July 12
    Plus the fact that having everything in bold prevents one from providing emphasis, which is what the original intent of the bold was.
    ...now that users have discovered colors...please don’t test them all out here.

Then let’s just stick to red for emphasis. ;)
    edited July 12
    · Reply · Share
  • yucca10yucca10 1154 replies34 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 1,188 Senior Member
    @Knowsstuff I did get this one. Nothing seems different from the one I didn't get, but it's possible.
    · Reply · Share
  • KnowsstuffKnowsstuff 3393 replies11 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 3,404 Senior Member
    @yucca10. This happened before and then I sent one out and the person got it also. Maybe there was a space or something. I am doing this from a android phone but doubt that is why it works now.
    · Reply · Share
  • jym626jym626 54921 replies2852 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 57,773 Senior Member
    Those of you willing to make the extra effort to use bold, go for it. But too much of a PITA, especially on the phone.
    · Reply · Share
  • lookingforwardlookingforward 32625 replies349 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 32,974 Senior Member
    I think the issue is the spacing between letters. (An artist consideration when choosing fonts, not a software person.) Bolding doesnt help. It's annoying. And notice:
    The workarounds all fall on us.
    And what value to persisting?

Agree w @abasket. "now slammed with quirks and inconsistencies that really make it a lesser webpage."
    · Reply · Share
  • brantlybrantly 3726 replies66 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 3,792 Senior Member
    t seems schools could “sponsor” a discussion forum for $800
    Ya know, I was going to say that I wonder if there's some sort of pay-to-play going on. Tufts is well known not to play and not to jump through hoops for ratings. But I didn't want to come across as a conspiracy theorist.
    · Reply · Share