right arrow
GUEST STUDENT OF THE WEEK: ski_racer, a high-achiever in high school, was rejected by some of the elite schools she applied to. This rejection was the best thing that happened to her as she got to choose her own path. Learn how she fell in love with her safety school, ASK HER ANYTHING!
Make sure to check out our August Checklist for HS Seniors. Consult these quick resources to get you started on the process this month.
As we work to adjust to the current reality, make sure to check out these dedicated COVID-19 resources: our directory of virtual campus tours, our directory of extended deadlines, as well as the list of schools going test optional this fall.

Our Fresh New Look Is Here

Replies to: Our Fresh New Look Is Here

• jym626jym626 57801 replies3030 threads Senior Member
    edited July 2019
    Well, I guess my memory isn’t so good (no surprise there) as this thread seems to suggest Tulane was added to that silly category in 2018 (not sure, and don’t think that is accurate, though). FC died in 2016.

My memory is consistent with @skieurope that Tulane was on that silly list long before that. https://talk.collegeconfidential.com/community-forum-issues/2047993-tulane-university-is-now-listed-as-a-cc-top-university.html. but who knows who/how/why these changes occur. No one of the cc “updates” make any sense!
    edited July 2019
    · Reply · Share
  • jorakidjorakid 8 replies1 threads New Member
    Do not like the new changes. Much harder to read on my phone, much more annoying to read on a web page. As others have said, way too much white space, non-intuitive heading/subheading graphic relationships. Went over to Reddit, /applyingtocollege, which seems to be taking your refugees.
    · Reply · Share
  • skieuropeskieurope 41032 replies7685 threads Super Moderator
    Well, I guess my memory isn’t so good (no surprise there) as this thread seems to suggest Tulane was added to that silly category in 2018 (not sure, and don’t think that is accurate, though). FC died in 2016.
    Actually, in going through the archives, I think you are correct @jym626 . My memory is getting faulty with age. My apologies. But the 'promotion" was due to volume, not FC's death.

But I still believe that whether college XXX is in top colleges is less important that, say, being able to actually read the text. And if other users want to workaround it by using BBCodes to change the color/boldness, be my guest. For me, though, taking those extra steps is not enhancing my UX. {Plus the fact that having everything in bold prevents one from providing emphasis, which is what the original intent of the bold was.
    · Reply · Share
    edited July 2019
    LOL, @skieurope, its gonna be hard to garner sympathy about your memory from many of the old geezer-ish parents on this page.

That said, I agree that the “top schools” refers to the amount of traffic the schools get on CC. Not necessarily their USNews ranking. And yes, FC did add to the high volume of traffic on the Tulane forum (not all the comments there were positive, but they were at times amusing to read). But, on sites looking for add and click revenue, negative attention is better than no attention at all.
    edited July 2019
    · Reply · Share
  • circuitridercircuitrider 3985 replies182 threads Senior Member
    okay that's a lot of bracketing. But, at least I learned something! FWIW, my eyes get equally fatigued, no matter what I do with this font.
    · Reply · Share
  • bopperbopper Forum Champion CWRU 14518 replies106 threads Forum Champion
    @CTTC I haven't left...but am making sure to monitor my forum but that is about it. I used to watch and comment on about 6 different subforums. If the powers that be think this format is more important than experienced posters answering questions, that is their choice.
    · Reply · Share
  • circuitridercircuitrider 3985 replies182 threads Senior Member
    On the issue of college/university lists, just about the only recent change I actually welcomed was the relocation of the Ivy League List to the bottom of the page.
    · Reply · Share
  • skieuropeskieurope 41032 replies7685 threads Super Moderator
    edited July 2019
    On the issue of college/university lists, just about the only recent change I actually welcomed was the relocation of the Ivy League List to the bottom of the page.
    As an aside, and I'm just using this post as an example, not picking on @circuitrider , but now that users have discovered colors (not that it was a big secret), please don't test them all out here. I'm accepting of the bold grey, but users have been typing in yellow and magenta and the like. If I can;'t read it, I doubt that many of those with older eyes than mine can either, so I've deleted.
    edited July 2019
    · Reply · Share
    Soooo, back to the “why are some schools more prominent” question.... reading this 6 year old article from Chronicles about the way some of the things used to be on cc https://www.chronicle.com/article/College-Confidential-A-Field/138865. it seems schools could “sponsor” a discussion forum for $800
    Hobsons has also monetized the site's popularity. About 700 colleges advertise here. Look, there's a banner ad for the University of Alabama, and one for Full Sail University. There's more: "At College Confidential we can tailor a custom exposure program to meet your needs," says the site. Colleges may sponsor a discussion forum ($800 a month) or advertise on the mobile application ($1,500 a month). Geo-targeting and retargeting are also options ($600 for 50,000 impressions). A student who visits a forum on visual and performing arts will surely see ads from colleges promoting such programs.
    Can’t recall how the discussion sponsoring (separate form the banner advertising) was was evident, if it even was, but alas, perhaps its less about “favoritism” or conspiracy theories and even more and more about the almighty dollar. No surprise there.
    · Reply · Share
  • yucca10yucca10 1416 replies40 threads Senior Member
    By the way, my username was mentioned but I didn't get any notifications.
    · Reply · Share
  • KnowsstuffKnowsstuff 7573 replies35 threads Senior Member
    @yucca10. Did you get this one? Might if been formated wrong?
    · Reply · Share
  • ChoatieMomChoatieMom 5796 replies271 threads Senior Member
    edited July 2019
    Plus the fact that having everything in bold prevents one from providing emphasis, which is what the original intent of the bold was.
    ...now that users have discovered colors...please don’t test them all out here.

Then let’s just stick to red for emphasis. ;)
    edited July 2019
    · Reply · Share
  • yucca10yucca10 1416 replies40 threads Senior Member
    @Knowsstuff I did get this one. Nothing seems different from the one I didn't get, but it's possible.
    · Reply · Share
  • KnowsstuffKnowsstuff 7573 replies35 threads Senior Member
    @yucca10. This happened before and then I sent one out and the person got it also. Maybe there was a space or something. I am doing this from a android phone but doubt that is why it works now.
    · Reply · Share
    Those of you willing to make the extra effort to use bold, go for it. But too much of a PITA, especially on the phone.
    · Reply · Share
  • lookingforwardlookingforward 35411 replies399 threads Senior Member
    I think the issue is the spacing between letters. (An artist consideration when choosing fonts, not a software person.) Bolding doesnt help. It's annoying. And notice:
    The workarounds all fall on us.
    And what value to persisting?

Agree w @abasket. "now slammed with quirks and inconsistencies that really make it a lesser webpage."
    · Reply · Share
  • brantlybrantly 4319 replies78 threads Senior Member
    t seems schools could “sponsor” a discussion forum for $800
    Ya know, I was going to say that I wonder if there's some sort of pay-to-play going on. Tufts is well known not to play and not to jump through hoops for ratings. But I didn't want to come across as a conspiracy theorist.
    · Reply · Share
This discussion has been closed.

Recent Activity