right arrow
PARENTS4PARENTS is a new initiative aimed at highlighting the vast expertise of our parents community while helping other parents better navigate the college admissions process. aggies1989 is a UC alumnus and parent of two UC college kids. ASK HIM ANYTHING!
GUEST STUDENT OF THE WEEK: fintech3753 is a current student at the Wharton School. Majoring in finance, he is hoping to pursue a career at the intersection of finance and technology. ASK HIM ANYTHING!
Make sure to check out our August Checklist for HS Seniors. Consult these quick resources to get you started on the process this month.
As we work to adjust to the current reality, make sure to check out these dedicated COVID-19 resources: our directory of virtual campus tours, our directory of extended deadlines, as well as the list of schools going test optional this fall.

Need some suggestions about McGill transfer admission, plz help me

JohndldJohndld 3 replies1 threads New Member
Hey guys, I am currently a student in a top10 Canadian university. I just finished my freshman year, and I am trying to transfer to the Faculty of Arts with a 3.59 CGPA. (I got a C last year which brought my CGPA down a lot...)

Due to the Covid-19, my current institution allows students to choose satisfactory/non-satisfactory on the transcript. McGill's website announces that "A change in your school’s grading will not negatively impact your offer of admission. If your school moves to a pass/fail or a satisfactory/unsatisfactory assessment method, we will accept such grades.". However, when I discussed with the McGill service point online chat, the staff told me that display a letter grade and don't choose satisfactory might be a wise choice. These two different statements made me confused and raised a question for me.

If I choose satisfactory on 2 of my courses (both B+), my CGPA will boost to 3.67. Do you think should I submit a full transcript with a 3.59 CGPA, or a revised transcript with a 3.67 CGPA? Does McGill prefer a higher CGPA or a transcript with full letter grades? If I submit a transcript without any satisfactory grades, is it possible for me to get into McGill Faculty of Arts with a 3.59 CGPA?

I am in a hurry about this situation, because the deadline to choose satisfactory on some courses is May 14th, and I cannot adjust after that date. Therefore, Your opinions are very valuable to me!

Thank you!
2 replies
· Reply · Share

Replies to: Need some suggestions about McGill transfer admission, plz help me

• TomSrOfBostonTomSrOfBoston 15908 replies1063 threads Senior Member
    If your current school chooses to ONLY give pass/fail or satisfactory/unsatisfactory for everyone it will not affect your admission to McGill. If they give you the option of pass/fail or a letter grade and you choose pass/fail that may affect your admission.
    · Reply · Share
  • JohndldJohndld 3 replies1 threads New Member
    Thanks!
    · Reply · Share