2012 Healthcare costs

<p>We just got the numbers for our plans for 2012 and I'm pleased to see that our plan is only going up by 3.5%. Some plans are the same price as 2011 and one plan is up about 10%. One of the California HMO plans is up by about 9% (we're not in California). Our increase last year was substantial so it's nice to see a low increase this year.</p>

<p>Dental and vision are the same as last year.</p>

<p>Do you mean total cost, or just the employee share for a plan mostly subsidized by your employer?</p>

<p>My plan's premiums increased 20% during 2011.</p>

<p>For 2012..I received a letter from Blue Cross..stating that in order to keep the increase in premiums down...they are going to increase the copays.....Looks like the co-pays are going to rise 12%, maybe more....</p>

<p>Also, the deductibles are going to be raised about 18%.</p>

<p>I don't know how people that don't get their insurance from work pay for this stuff..</p>

<p>Medicare increases for 2012 are very low in comparison..I think 4% or less.</p>

<p>It seems that premiums are rising almost everywhere. But ours have been the same for at least 3 years. And even the office copays were refunded either partially or entirely. :-)</p>

<p>StillGreen, which company insures you?</p>

<p>Sierra Health. And try to get a comparison here among other insurance companies, Health</a> Insurance - Find Affordable Health Insurance Plans and Buy Medical Coverage Online .</p>

<p>Our employee contribution went up 6%, and our deductible almost doubled, and max out-of-pocket went up almost 50%.</p>

<p>We've moved away from co-pays, everything is now co-insurance. I still haven't figured out if this will cost me less or more.</p>

<p>StillGreen..thanks..</p>

<p>My pleasure. By the way, you may directly apply with the insurance company instead. Whether you want to go through that website, is entirely your choice.</p>

<p>I have to think if it is worth it to switch. :)</p>

<p>Actually I am quite surprised with SH. They tried to increase the premiums last year and then abandoned the raise the last month before renewal. And they are the first insurance company I know of returning office copays. Unbelievable. :-)</p>

<p>I don't see Sierra Health in California.
From your website....</p>

<p>The Clear Protection Plus 2011 by Anthem looks interesting to me.</p>

<p>I don't know if SH covers CA.</p>

<p>Wow, never heard of office copays EVER being refunded. This will be the 1st year in quite a while that our BCBS plan is only seeking a single digit (3.6%) increase. The past few years it was double digits all the time.</p>

<p>we just received our Anthem renewal quote: ~10 increase, but our existing plan is being closed. Thus, the 10% increase is on top of an increase in other 'self-help' including office copays, lab fees, and Rx for the replacement plan.</p>

<br>

<br>

<p>That's the employee share but I've read that health-care expenses dropped the last year as people have used fewer services during the economic crunch. The co-pays, deductibles, etc. weren't listed on my comparison pages. I would have to read the details of each plan to see if those changed too.</p>

<p>bluebayou, is that for a group plan?</p>

<p>My insurer just announced a premium holiday -- no paycheck deductions this month! (I'm sure the employer is still holding up its end.) It's so novel to have something great to say about an insurer.</p>

<p>Woo--have never heard of these novel things in the many decades H & I have been insured by our BCBS plan. Still, am glad they have been available when we had costs that we needed to have paid, including going out of state when the in-state docs couldn't provide the answers & treatment we needed.</p>

<p>Ours haven't gone up. Still zero in premiums. ;)</p>