My kid has a 9:30 am flight which is not heading to where the bad weather is. The weather folks are forecasting this snowstorm to start here “in the morning” whatever that means.
We are hoping she beats the storm, but I guess there is nothing we can do about this except be hopeful. Right?
@mommdc I just heard that at my son’s school they decided to open the dorms up tomorrow instead of Sunday.
I’m so thankful he’s not driving back now on Sunday, but hoping neither of his trains on Monday get delayed. The predicted snow totals keep increasing. I’m just hoping he doesn’t have trouble getting an Uber/taxi on Monday from the train station. If he really had to, he could walk, but he has no winter gear at home with him and it’s not a well-traveled pedestrian area so doubt anything would be shoveled until he actually makes it to campus.
I am in AZ this weekend and woke up to a phone alert tornado warning at 4am. They rarely have tornados here. No injuries, though. A friend’s son wrecked his car in WI, while talking to his parents.
We just need to drive from one end of NJ up to the other. Was going to stay till tomorrow (Sunday) but even though it will probably just be rain all day now, the temp line is close enough to freezing that I don’t want a bad sudden change (it’s happened to us before). So leaving this afternoon. All our guests are gone, so we were thinking a quiet evening, but we can have that up north, too.
We had a group of 12 for Thanksgiving. All had planned to stay until Monday, but the storm warning for the east coast freaked 4 people. They left today. Five more are off tomorrow. All leaving from Boston Logan and headed for DC, NYC, RI, and Indianapolis!
Yes, my son is driving himself back to college tomorrow. He is leaving early in the morning, and we hope he will beat the snow!
This is one of the times his college’s weather will be different from ours. We are supposed to get 1-3 inches of snow, but he is supposed to get 12-24 inches!!!
I suggested he leave today, but he would have missed seeing his grandmother who came to visit today, plus he really wanted the extra day at home. So he will leave early tomorrow morning and hope to get back before the snow starts to accumulate.
Well, I guess that the way drivers gain experience in different conditions is by driving in them! His way down to us had good weather but was his first time driving through NYC and across a city bridge. (So proud of how independent my kid has become!)
Best wishes to all for a safe return trip to college for you and/or your child.
DH just watched the weather. He says…Monday is supposed to be terrible all day. Here (CT) snow or whatever isn’t supposed to start until after noon tomorrow.
All of the weather forecasters are saying “this is a hard storm to forecast”. I guess that’s why the start time has been a moving target.
Wishing safe travels to everyone…and hoping the power doesn’t go out.
My boys are on a bus from NJ to MA tomorrow with students from their school. I’ve tried not checking too much but of course I watch weather. @thumper1 trying to be hopeful!
I think S19 will be ok. It’s his first time traveling on his own & he did really well getting here. It was good practice for his flight very early this morning from Raleigh to Columbus, OH. The weather maps show a whole lot of rain, so it may not be a very pleasant flight but I’m happy it’s no wintry stuff. Then his bus leaves Columbus to drive the hour to campus at noon. Ohio actually looks pretty good! He may get a little wet walking back to his dorm from the bus, but he will be back well ahead of the snow. His new LL Bean boots are in his bag and ready to be deployed if needed!!
I am not that familiar with the airlines so I’m not sure of how things work.
D was scheduled to fly home at 8:15 pm yesterday, Saturday. When she checked in for her flight on Friday there was a question of how much compensation would you need to fly at 3 pm Sunday instead of Saturday. So she called United customer service, she didn’t want to wait until Sunday but there was room at 11:30 Saturday that she was glad to go on. No go, the CS agent wouldn’t budge and that it would be $360 to change her flight. Ok so she didn’t.
When she got to the airport the flight was delayed, she wasn’t going to make her connection in Chicago, which was on time when she flew out. But then the flight left on time to find out that her flight from Chicago was delayed. I think she got home around 3 am this morning.
Was there anything she could have done to change her flight without paying $360? You would think that with weather on Saturday night and forecasted storm on Sunday, they would have waived the change fee.
$160 for the flight cost increase, $200 for the change fee. She could have booked that one way flight from their website for less.
Flight delayed 2 hours here. Plane is coming from Detroit…where it’s raining. Kid is watching that flight and the minute it leaves Detroit she will head to the airport. I think that’s not so smart but I am staying out of it. You know…sometimes they do switch planes!
Anyway…hoping the plane gets here…but not really hopeful.
Plus, if the kid gets TO Detroit today, there is no question the kid is not flying back here tomorrow???
DS#2 had a travel challenge yesterday when United cancelled his flight with no alternative offered. The flight he was eyeing sold out while he was en route to the airport (had to be booked at the airport, not on line and couldn’t get through on the phone). He managed to get the last seat on a different (non direct) flight (different airline) and got to the grate with 5 whole minutes to spare, and ended up with a center seat int he last row by the bathrooms surrounded by 5 kids singing/screaming. But he got home. Whew. Today DS#1, DIL and granddaughter fly one way and we fly another. DS’s plan comes in from Denver to this airport. Hope it makes it.
Ugh @deb922 that’s so frustrating with the change fees! I like Southwest for that reason but I realize they don’t fly everywhere. Son’s flight left on time early this morning out of Chicago - flying east. He has an hour drive once he lands so glad he left early. Safe travels everyone.
@deb922- United claims it was offering changes at no charge. Then again they may be full of baloney as they are the airline that kicked my DS#1 to the curb with no alternative rebooked flight. Scum.
@deb922 not this trip…but another. My kid missed her connection on a United flight connecting in Chicago. The gate folks met her at the gate with a ticket confirmed for the next morning, a taxi voucher, a hotel reservation and voucher, and a meal voucher. They were the ones who changed her original flight because of connection issues. But still…they were great.
I’m sorry for your kid’s bad experience. Have the kid get on the phone or post on Twitter. This should not have happened.
In the meantime, my kid is on the way to the airport for a flight we hope takes off at 1:30 or so. ???
One of my kids is doing the journey from northern New England to mid-Atlantic area today. The original plan was to leave later today but they departed early this morning to get ahead of the snow predicted for our region. I checked in about an hour ago and things were going well - not much traffic and they’ve run into very little precipitation thus far. Based on weather forecasts I watched at various points along their Northeastern corridor journey, I was worried about them hitting a rain/snow mix but so far smooth sailing. Fingers crossed for the remaining two hours.
S and I returned to Ohio from NYC yesterday by car… Feel we dodged a bullet. We saw all the snow plows lined up radyt to go on the pa turnpike. D flies out of NYC today, we’ll see how that goes.