Sorry for all those having a tough time getting connections and getting their flights. Hope everyone continues to stay safe and get to their destinations.
Airlines can be uneven about when and whether they offer free flight adjustments because of bad weather. It can be useful asking a supervisor or a different agent but they may be so slammed with folks needing help due to weather they may not have helped anyhow.
Our neighbors are flying back from Italy into Boston today. Their plane is in the air, so I guess they’re set. I’m picking them up at the bus station in Portland tonight - hoping the travel isn’t bad by then.
Looks like Portland will get snow later today. So drive carefully!
It’s snowing again here…we are expecting 5 or 6 more inches of snow.
Hope the airport is not affected when DD is supposed to arrive this evening. My guess…the drive to and from the airport isn’t going to be fun! But her husband is picking her up!
D still at home; trying to figure out when she can get back. Finding a span of good weather break for the route to PA has been challenging. She was originally going back with a friend from school who lives somewhat nearby, but that girl’s plans are in the air due to weather and illness, so we decided maybe D should just take her car back, which would save us a trip down for Christmas break to get her. I think this morning would’ve worked, but DH did an oil change and changed the spark plugs yesterday, and since then the car is running very rough. Had it towed to a garage and they’re assessing it. If it doesn’t get fixed, one of us will need to bring her back tomorrow once roads are clear. We probably should have had her go back on Saturday, but we thought the traffic would be super heavy, and she really wanted to help us decorate the tree. Meanwhile the storm never got bad here. I hate relying on the forecasters - who are so often wrong, sigh.
Good luck to everyone who is still traveling or who has family members who are still traveling!
My son made it back before the storm hit, but a lot of Williams College kids had trouble and have not made it back to campus yet.
One group of kids was on a motor coach that got stuck partway back from the airport and had to be rescued by college staff, finally arriving on campus at 4:00 a.m. The kids said two other college-sponsored motor coaches had gotten stuck, too.
Many kids are stranded in airports, especially at the Albany airport because the road between the airport and the college is closed except to emergency vehicles.
The college is trying to help take care of the kids, though, arranging their hotel stays in Albany.
A dean sent out a nice letter asking stranded kids to call Campus Security and stating the college would help arrange hotel stays for them… and that they should not worry about missing class, as professors understand this is a unique weather emergency.
We got more than a dusting, well less than 13". More like 2". But I see the K-12s are closed tomorrow. And it will freeze overnight. Going to go out and run the wipers on the car, so I can get out early.
My son finally made it back. He left on an 8am Amtrak but it was 35 minutes late into Penn Station so he missed his connection by less than 10 minutes. He had to wait two hours for the next one. One of his teammates picked him up from the train station, which is only about a mile or so from campus but not pedestrian friendly. I was a little worried he wouldn’t be able to get a taxi or Uber so I’m glad that his friend was able to get him. When I last heard from him hours ago, they’d already gotten 8-10 inches but it appears to still be snowing.
Dh’s flight out of JFK left on time, thankfully. It had started snowing there this afternoon and the news said there were delays, but fortunately it didn’t affect him.
Looks like this was a hard storm to prediction terms of who was going to get hit hardest up there.
I just heard a fuller accounting of the Williams motor coach incident, and it is dramatic.
So, the bus stopped because they saw a car stuck in a snowbank. Some kids got off the bus and pushed the car out. Then, when the bus went to start up again, it skidded off the road. They were right on the edge of a big cliff. So they could not exit from the front of the bus, because of the cliff. Instead, they all hurried out the emergency exit. Then, they had to walk through the snow to a fire station, where they waited for rescue. Campus security came and drove the kids back to campus, in groups of 12.
The bus left Albany airport at 6:30 p.m. and kids got to campus at 4:00 a.m.
Some of the kids are pretty shaken up emotionally, because of the cliff.
S1 reported that BUF-ORD flight was on-time, no problems. Was on the plane waiting to take off for Copenhagen last I heard from him three hours ago. Assume he’s in the air somewhere by now. He was delighted to find he’d booked an Economy Plus seat, so he has a better chance of getting sleep tonight. He’d forgotten he’d done that.
I had to drive about 30 minutes to Portland to pick up friends at the bus station. We still haven’t gotten much snow, but the roads were very slick and dangerous. I had one guy right on my tail and another one passing me as we went by a car that had just slid off the highway! Even that didn’t deter these idiots - they didn’t slow down at all. I was very glad to collect our friends and get back home. They’re still saying 6 to 9 inches, but I find it hard to believe.
My D was set to return to new haven super early this morning. When she went to check in her flight was under an alert that allowed her to rebook for a later flight so she did. Is missing final class but it doesn’t really matter and she was worried about getting up so early only to be stuck in Philly. Well original flight is on time so would have made it so a good sign for later today. And we didn’t have to go to airport at 4 in morning fingers crossed it all goes well
ML, I found it hard to believe that we would get additional significant snow overnight…but it happened! So, we got around 6 in or so yesterday, and at least another foot overnight. It’s a lot of snow.
@JustaMom5465 same here. We actually got more snow in the second round of this storm than the first round. About 14 inches total.
I will say, I’m impressed that Bradley International Airport had very few cancellations. Probably because there are no arrivals or departures between midnight and early morning…giving them time to clear things out.
It’s been snowing since around 3 PM on Sunday and still going. Hasn’t tapered off yet despite the forecast that it was to end this morning. We got 11 inches as of yesterday morning. Slight lull then and things picked up Monday afternoon and it snowed heavily last night and early this morning, a couple of inches per hour. We are around 23 inches total right now with more on the way. Steady snowfall right now.
It’s pretty! Since I no longer work, it’s easier for me than many other people. Throughout my career, I HAD to be at work regardless, so I don’t miss driving in it although I consider myself a skilled winter driver.
I don’t mind being snowbound for a few days - plenty to do and good company. And no power loss!