@MyaCocoa cannot believe your son is still on wait list
Any news? Any update?
I have been suffering from PSU admissions 6 mos wait PTSD so I haven’t checked this board
After hours of soul searching and lectures from her psu alum dad, my d has chosen to follow her gut instinct and is going to commit to Pitt
Big city opportunities won her over. She wants a very different life than Lancaster
As a chem Major, really interested in Pitt dental school eventually wants to maybe be an orthodontist. Yay. I am happy she has decided
Waiting six months from when she applied 8/5 for a decision from psu didn’t really help her dads case, 7 other schools admitting her quickly and several big schools offered merit scholarships
But I am still so very grateful that she was finally accepted to UP, so it was her choice as we had hoped, weighing all factors once we had a final decision last week
So on we go, lifelong penn state football fans but to Pitt we go
Congratulations to your daughter Ziveli513! She will love it. My son really liked it too, almost picked it… but decided on Purdue this past weekend. Exciting times! Best of luck to all those still waiting. It’s a tough process all around and admissions this year seems especially unpredictable at many universities.
@MYOS1634@ziveli513@greenbutton Trying to log into My Penn State and getting “A record in CPR was not found for login ( ******* ) and psu_id=, please try to login again and if it continues to fail, contact the Admissions office for assistance.”
Think they suspect I might call in today? Hahahahaha! Let’s just forget this applicant exists, shall we?
@UKexpat88 congrats to your son, Purdue! So exciting for all and thank you for your good wishes for my d. So many adventures ahead
And I am so glad that now my d is in charge and doing all the work! She’s very organized and independent, doing all she needs to do, she’s going to thrive, she is thrilled with her Pitt experience so far. Looking forward to two day retreat at Pitt this summer, such a great program to explore the campus ahead of fall
She’s already connected with a chem Major potential roommate from Qatar!
My d is on it lol @MyaCocoa yes peace, at long last
Wishing peace and good luck and best wishes to your son and to all still waiting and still deciding
So, I called. I think for my peace of mind (“piece” of mind?) I have some comfort. I got to say what was on my mind and felt she (never game a name) listened. So for the value of being “heard” - I was heard. That is something at least.
But the take away? S is on the Wait List. So we must wait.
My son was accepted to Smeal but is still waiting on his first choice school. The acceptance letter states that the sooner you accept the better the odds of dorm options. Is it worth the $300 to accept and lock in a dorm now? or should he wait until the end of March to find out about his number one choice?
I would hate to accept and then later cancel. I also would like my DS to visit both schools in April again before making a final decision. thoughts?
@prouddad2020, if your DS is even thinking about PSU and you can afford it, put down the deposit without any regrets. You did not create this incentive, PSU did. If your son later decides to accept a different offer, rescind the PSU acceptance without any second thoughts or reservations.
I think it’s wrong to pressure students to commit before the May 1 national decision day. Consider it a non refundable deposit, nothing more.
@prouddad2020 I am in the same boat as you are in a way. My son only applied to 3 places. He’s been accepted by his #3 choice. On wait list for PSU. Other top choice gives an answer by April 1. So I’ve had to ask myself the same question, but about different schools.
While I feel as you do about misleading a school (and also losing money!) I think we have to do what is best for our kids, and if we can afford to lose a deposit, then maybe that has to be. Seeing all the housing posts about PSU definitely makes a parent antsy!
I don’t know if you followed earlier posts about “summer melt”. Apparently more kids commit (and deposit) and then drift away over the summer than we ever suspected. I always figured some kids might get sick, a parent dies suddenly, or some such misfortune changes the best of plans. But colleges have more than that melting apparently. While this is maybe new to us, it’s not to them. They probably have some way to factor it in.
Just do what you do in the best of faith and try not to feel too badly. If you want, think of the deposit (you then don’t need) to be a small gift to the school. I’m sure schools have calculated their deposit in part to compensate for their inconvenience if you end up not showing up.
Accepted!!! DUS, UP, Fall 2019! Ironically we were at Pitt’s accepted students day (and loving it) when she found out. Tough decisions ahead, but at least we now where we stand with PSU!
@marniefaerie I just saw the acceptance on the other page and rushed here to congratulate you! Wow! That was a LONG wait.
Can you remind me, was your D on the wait list or was this the first decision? I remember you from before, but sadly I don’t recall each person’s details well.
If I DO remember correctly, @ziveli513 's D has decided on Pitt after finally being accepted by PSU.
@MyaCocoa she originally applied to Smeal for business, not knowing about the 11% acceptance rate. She was offered Smeal 2+2 (Brandywine), but she was not interested and asked to be reconsidered for DUS. They accepted her for Fall after reconsideration! Had we known how difficult it was to get into Smeal, she would have applied DUS in the first place!
I will be checking back frequently for news about your son who was waitlisted! @ziveli513 Thank you!!! We had an amazing weekend this weekend at Pitt. We were so impressed by the school, and on Saturday my D went to a basketball game and got the full experience (they won!) Difficult choices ahead, but at least the waiting is over!