99 year old Af.Am. Aunt from Ala. not well. OMG! You people r like family!

<p>So…yeah…I can’t believe I’m sharing this here! But she and my uncle made it possible for my D to attend a private college. How did they DO this? My Uncle was a postal worker!</p>

<p>Oh, I am sorry, Shrinkrap. Your love for them shines through your words.</p>

<p>Shrink… Prayers for them.</p>

<p>Shrinkrap:
I’m glad you felt that you could come here and share both your worries and your love and pride in your aunt and uncle. They sound like awesome people. I am sure they know that you and your D love them and are grateful for what they have done.
Hugs to you.</p>

<p>I pride myself on my grammar and command of the English language, but to be honest that title just did not make any sense to me :|</p>

<p>Regardless, congratulations. They must’ve had a stash of money saved up.</p>

<p>Hope and prayers for your aunt, and her loved ones. My aunt and uncle paid for 5 private college educations along with private Catholic school for their five kids on a postal worker’s salary. They encountered all sorts of adversity including health issues that rendered my uncle disabled. Through savings and frugality. they were able to do this. It humbles many of us today who have much higher incomes and higher living standards.</p>

<p>Shrinkwrap, I’m so sorry that your beloved and generous aunt is not well.</p>

<p>Shrinkwrap, holding you and your family in my meditations. Appreciative of your feeling close enough to us here to share this with us. Postal workers were high status and highly paid people compared to most African Americans when your uncle got his job. Having a stable, well paid government job was difficult for black people to obtain back then. One had to be extremely smart and hard working to get such a job – particularly if one was black. My own grandfather was among the first black postal workers in the country.</p>

<p>Eriatarka, you’ve still totally missed the point of the post, which can happen when one is young and posting in a parents’ area.</p>

<p>Your aunt probably believes she has been paid back generously with seeing your D (hopefully thriving) at that private school. </p>

<p>Aunt clearly has been blessed that you care and that she has had 99 years. </p>

<p>No loss is easy–hang in there.</p>

<p>BTW–has your D called to ask her how she is doing?</p>

<p>I am so sorry, Shrinkrap. What gems these relatives are, and how extraordinarily generous. They must be so proud of your daughter.</p>

<p>Your Aunt and Uncle sound magnificent and surely beloved by your family. Your D sounds like a torchbearer for their dreams. Thank you for sharing their story. I wish some moments of peace for your Aunt at this difficult time.</p>

<p>Looks like Shrinkrap sent the message via a Blackberry.</p>

<p>Hang in there. The love is strong!!</p>

<p>What wonderful, generous people they are to give your daughter such a gift! Warm thoughts to you at this difficult time!</p>

<p>Thank you all… and it’s a tablet PC, so doing a post justice isn’t easy. </p>

<p>I was trying to summarize in the thread title, how impressive I’ve come to understand these folks to be, largely related to what I’ve learned hear on CC. I really didn’t appreciate how far my family has come, and against what odds, before college confidential. </p>

<p>Sigh. I know that can be interpreted in unhelpful ways, but again, thanks all.</p>

<p>Aunt was a teacher, went to Howard University, as did her older sister, who talked her out of majoring in “domestic” something or other… How to run someones household. Can you imagine that?</p>

<p>Srinkrap, big hugs to you.</p>

<p>BIg hugs, lots of prayers. </p>

<p>Have your D call and check in, there is nothing to lift spirts like hearing from a beloved family member…</p>

<p>I’m trying, but D is “incommunicado” , camp counseling without phone access. Also, Aunt can’t hear…</p>

<p>I’ll keep you and your aunt in my thoughts. I suspect she knows how much you love and appreciate her. I’m also sure she’s extremely proud of you and your D. Best wishes.</p>

<p>Sending all good thoughts her way and yours, Shrinkwrap.</p>

<p>I hope she gets better. DH’s grandmother lived until 103!</p>