A long shot...but still a shot?

<p>Well your GPA is not as high as they would have liked, but you do have 30 college credits like you mentioned. Would you describe what those credits are though? I think when they looked at my 44 credits they loved the fact that each class I took was an exact pre-rec to what I needed to be doing as a freshman at Ann Arbor. I even took classes I was not exactly allowed to take at Dearborn (almost losing a scholarship) because it was only needed at AA. </p>

<p>Besides that I feel like you have a alright shot. You are coming from MSU which is (in the state) one of the best and one of the more tougher colleges. It really comes down to the applicant pool and who they are going to compare you with. </p>

<p>I could see you getting an acceptance for Fall 2012 if that is what your asking. Not the best chance, but def about a 50% chance (which is good if you think about it). .A lot of people are relying on 20% chances because they have worse stats then you, so you should be proud of that. </p>

<p>But I am just a student, not even a Michigan student yet- so I may not be as accurate as you would like. That is just my opinion. I really hope it all works out for you!!</p>

<p>and if all goes sour, don't worry about it. You finish this semester of college, apply again in the summer and you are for sure getting in within the first few weeks you start college again next semester (for Winter 2013 term)</p>

<p>Good luck!</p>

<p>Thanks again for your response, your feedback always does help. As for what those credits stand for, the classes I took were chemistry 141 (4 credits), calculus I (3 credits), rhetoric writing: evolution of American thought (4 credits) and human nutrition (3 credits). The human nutrition class was an elective, and I picked it because since I'm pre-med it was the closest medical-related elective I could find out of the already limited list of open, available electives, and I needed one. Funny enough, I got a 4 in everything EXCEPT that class...yeah, it was way harder than I thought! Lol. Right now I'm in calculus II, chemistry 142 w/ lab, introductory psychology and ISS. They're 4 credits each bringing my total this semester to 16 credits. </p>

<p>Anyway, I'd say I'm happy with my 50/50 chances, which seems pretty accurate to me. That's the highest it's been for me with this school thus far, so I'm gonna look at it that way remain optimistic about it. It's never done me harm before :)</p>

<p>In all honesty I'll try not to be too down if I don't get in right now, I did receive an e-mail saying I got into the Honors College here at MSU so I'll most likely enroll into that if I don't get into Michigan. However, that still doesn't mean I won't apply for winter 2013! I'm not giving up on this, they can't say no to me forever.</p>

<p>I hope you enjoy the campus there when you attend, and I hope to maybe see you there eventually!</p>

<p>I was rejected yesterday, looks like I'm gonna have to push my application to a later term (preferably Winter 2013). Do you think, if I kept this GPA up and had 30 credits (with around 15 more pending) next semester and applied for the Winter 2013 semester I'd have a reasonably good shot? </p>

<p>I wouldn't really mind staying here at MSU for another term if it meant only waiting that long to switch schools. I'm not gonna apply again seeing as I can just push the application to the next term (and I don't wish to pay the $60 deposit again) but I won't let up on this until they accept me. They can't reject me forever. Patience pays off.</p>

<p>Yeah if you have a 3.8ish after 45 credits I'd say you're in for sure.</p>

<p>Thanks. I might be able to bring that up to a 3.9 assuming I can maintain a 4.0 this semester (which I'm sort of on track to so far, but it's way too early in the semester to tell, lol). Anything that can compensate for my dissenting high school GPA would help at this point.</p>

<p>Do you know at what point they stop taking the high school transcripts into consideration? By which I mean, do you know how many credits I'd need for them not to place any emphasis on that at all? I know that will always be held over me but the way I see it, the more college credits I've earned, the more my college GPA would define my qualification.</p>

<p>I do applaude your tenacity in getting out of East Lansing.</p>

<p>UM will pretty much bypass your HS GPA and ACT scores if you have enough college coursework to look at. Keep up the GPA at MSMoo and try for Winter transfer. If that does not work DO apply for next fall. Typically UM likes to take transfers as juniors, but I told told directly by an admissions person that they will take winter transfers if the GPA is strong and they have enough coursework completed.</p>

<p>With the desire you have shown in these threads (including coming back to actually post you did not get it), I think you would be an asset to the UM student body. Keep pluggin'--it can be done, and admissions does like to see that you REALLY want to go to UM.</p>

<p>Thanks a ton, your response does help keep that hope alive. While I admit it it's frustrating to have that same door slammed in my face more than once, the only way for them to have "won" is if I stopped coming back. Luckily I can be really persistent when it comes to these things and I wouldn't mind waiting one extra semester before applying again. The way I see it is, assuming I get in, I would still technically be going to Michigan the next school year even though it's the second semester. So I haven't shot this thing down quite yet. </p>

<p>I do appreciate your kind words and that's partly what keeps me going. Knowing it's possible to reach my goals is what gives me the incentive to even try them, and knowing how much easier it'll likely be if I wait it out a bit longer is only more helpful.</p>

<p>Do you mind if I ask when your application was processed/finalized? Mine was processed about a week ago and I just want to gauge how long UMich takes to get back on transfer applicants.</p>

<p>Um, I believe it was around mid-January when they received all my stuff. They received my application the 9th but it was finalized the following week.</p>

<p>Oh man I'm pretty much in the same boat as you. My app was done on the 6th of January and all materials were received by the 16th. It's weird because I spoke with admissions and they said it takes 6-8 weeks for a decision :/... </p>

<p>Anyways I'm over at Wayne State with a 3.79 GPA first semester so we are pretty alike. I did a little better in high school with a 3.6 and 30 ACT. I wish you the best though and I certainly hope you get in for Winter 2013, you seem really awesome for coming back after getting rejected.</p>

<p>@ham
They generally dismiss high school stuff for junior transfers, which is why most community college transfers come in junior year too.</p>

<p>Hmm well for me it'd technically still be a sophomore transfer since Winter 2013 would be the second semester of my sophomore year. Do you think it'd still be dismissed, or at least be put into very little consideration?</p>