OP- congrats on raising such a talented kid. And condolences on the loss of your wife.
Thank you, he is and I know it. I’m blessedfor sure. The wife part, really appreciate that. Healthiest 49 yo you would know and just like that brain bleed for no reason and gone same day. Been a couple years and in still say, Horrific and poor son omg. The pain… We are ok though..
I live in a state with a “middle of the road” public university system and am agog that Berkely is considered a “less than stellar” outcome. But I do understand that for many HS kids, getting out of the region where they were raised is more important than anything else.
We/he knows Berkely is an amazing college to day the least. We both know he’s truly blessed for the offer he received from them and all these institutions. There are kids and parents that would give up just about anything to go there especially for 9k a year we know! Just not his first choice and that is ok. Is getting out of dodge the most important factor? Not at all. It’s probably the fourth ish deciding factor. Not in this order, He wants a college with a minimum of 20k students, a rah-rah school (he is an athlete) and mostly wants a great education with a huge secesss rate out of college. Then comes moving regions. 20k+ students… Of course he would love Stanford, Duke and so on. SMU Cox wants him so that is an option too. Just received the financial offer from SMU might not be an option after all
(see pic). Yes, we were expecting a full ish ride and got slapped in the face again imo. Going to start calling these schools today. There has to be a mistake somewhere. IMHO, the most important aspect of going away to college is the experience! They will grow and become adults over those 4 years immensely. Heck when he comes home after his first 6 months he will be a different person. That to me is the #1 reason to go away to school. Yes away means in state or out just get away from home. He also knows (i hope) NO MATTER where you go whether it’s a JC or Duke it’s only a good as you make it be. The success rate factor… He’s just turned 18! He has everything going for him i mean everything but… he doesn’t have experience like i do and you do who read this. He thinks he’s a brain surgeon already lol. Knows it all lol. I have taught him and I hope it sticks THERE IS NO GOLDEN TICKET! Just because you went to Berkely, Duke, Stanford, USC, or Umich to make a point doesn’t mean you are automatically a success in business or life! It’s about his character, empathy, understanding, willingness to listen and so much more that makes you successful in life. As far as money, it pays the bills doesn’t bring happiness. That’s what I try to teach him and actually that was more how my wife was may she rest in peace. That was long story…
But just some perspective- we could all give you lists of colleges where your kid would likely get a generous aid package and be admitted. But to put it in auto terms- you’d be comparing a Mercedes with a Ford Pinto. The lists would include directional state universities which are former teacher’s colleges (nothing wrong with these institutions- but they have limited majors, huge numbers of adjunct faculty) , private institutions which have two or three strong majors but do not offer deep or wide offerings otherwise, and a couple of “hidden gems”. So the choice would be a university which shows up on every global “top universities in the world” list (not that the lists are the be-all and end-all, but just noting it) vs. a “hidden gem” or another “undiscovered” college which may or may not have what your kid is looking for intellectually or even the right majors/departments.
I know I know, but he doesn’t want to go to a hidden gem neither did i at 18 lol. That is the 18yo in him who doesn’t have our experience. I can’t fight him, I can try to lead him there but he is on his way to independence and he’s strong-willed and smart. In 20 years from now he will understand what I taught him. He has glimpses of that understanding now and I’m grateful for that.
That’s a choice.
Good luck!
Thank you again @blossom