Accepted Students Day/Post-Scandal Impressions

<p>Hey everyone. I decided to make this thread to describe my experience at the accepted students day for the Smeal College of Business, which was yesterday (Monday, Feb 13th). Below, I'm going to break up my expereince into several categories so that it's easier to read and so that you can check out what aspects may be of interest to you. Additionally, feel free to comment on your own experiences, thoughts, or recent visits to PSU or if you have also attended an accepted students day and wanted to share your story. </p>

<p>First Impression:</p>

<p>My family and I drove up to Penn State on Sunday afternoon (the day before the actual visit) to walk/drive around State College and check things out. Unfortunately, the weather was pretty bad; it was cloudy, the temperature was in the low 20s, and the gusty winds made it feel like it was absolutely freezing, which made it difficult for us to walk around too much. By default, the cold weather made for a very quiet scene downtown and on campus; it almost felt like a ghost town, especially compared to the last time that I was at PSU, which was the football game against Iowa in the Fall. Truthfully, this whole ordeal gave the intial part of the visit a somewhat negative vibe, but that was in large part to the poor weather conditions and lack of students walking around that I was used to seeing during my previous visits. </p>

<p>Accepted Students Day:</p>

<p>Fortunately, the weather for Monday was much more pleasant: mid 30s and sunny. The day started with a presentation featuring information about Smeal, 2 students sharing their experiences, and a student/parent panel where the parents and students were split up into seperate rooms so that each group could ask about their own concerns/questions. Overall, the presentation and panel was pretty standard stuff that didn't really cover anything that I didn't already know (and I have the great people here on CC to thank for giving me the answers to the majority of those questions). One thing that was promising (and, admittedly, surprising to me) was the amount of prospective students that were from out of state. In my student panel of around 20 prospective students, only one was from the Pittsburgh area (where I'm from) - the rest were from Philly, Delaware, New York, and New Jersey. In fact, during my tour of the business school there was someone in my group from Houston, Texas! I was pleasantly surprised to see a high amount of interest from non-PA residents, as I felt that the scandal would cause many out of staters to shy away from PSU. After the presentation and panels, we took a tour of campus and ate lunch in the East Halls dining area. The food was decent (not great, not terrible) and the tour didn't really do much for me as I have seen the campus several times prior to this visit. </p>

<p>The Smeal College of Business:</p>

<p>After the lunch and tour, there was an optional open house-like event to check out the business school, and I was extremely impressed with the facility. The backside of the building is almost completely glass, which gives the building a great, natural-light tone and provides a really nice view of the surrounding mountains beyond campus. The classrooms were very nice as well, and the place just had "state of the art" written all over it. I also got to speak with 2 marketing professors and they were both extremely nice and seemed really proud to be teaching at Penn State. Overall, I couldn't have been happier with the business school and I could tell just from my brief time there that I would be spending a lot of my time in the business building if I decide to attend. </p>

<p>The Students:</p>

<p>This was BY FAR the best/most reassuring part of my visit. I talked to around 8 students between my 2 days at Penn State and every single one of them was tremendously helpful and very proud to say that they were a student at Penn State. They couldn't do enough for me and answered any questions that I had honestly and thoughtfully. Additionally, when I asked them how they liked their time at Penn State, every single one of them said that they absolutely love it there. Not "it's good" or "alright, it's ok" - they all couldn't stop talking about how much they love it and how they couldn't be happier. This was really a good sign for me, and seeing so many students in their PSU sweats and hoodies walking around is a testament to the unparalled school pride that takes place here. As my family and I headed back to the HUB parking lot to make our way home, we got slightly lost and without even being asked, a student noticed that we were confused and came up to us and asked if we needed help. He walked with us to the HUB and was asking me how I liked my visit and offered tips if I decide to come here in addition to answering any question that I had. This was a really great way to end my visit and reassured me of the concerns that I from the previous day. </p>

<p>Overall Reaction:</p>

<p>There were a ton of positives that came out from my visit to Penn State, and as of now, it remains my top choice. However, I do plan on visiting Pitt on February 25th to give it a fair chance as well. I can definitely see myself at Penn State, and I will be sure to keep you guys informed on my decision as I continue to progress in my decision making process.</p>

<p>Great to hear you had a great visit Pens. Can't wait for my visit next week.</p>

<p>I'm looking forward to hearing about your visit andybatts, be sure to post how it goes.</p>

<p>Will do. If we both decide on attending, definitely stay in touch. PM if you want.</p>

<p>Yeah definitely. Sounds like a plan.</p>

<p>I really enjoyed reading your recap of your visit. My daughter and I are flying up from Florida on Thursday to attend the accepted student session on Friday morning. We decided to go when it's really cold to see how PSU is during the "dreary" months. Hope the cold weather doesn't scare her away! We are originally from NJ but left when d was in 4th grade - been a while since she had to deal with the bitter cold! So excited as we have not visited the campus yet!</p>

<p><<in fact,="" during="" my="" tour="" of="" the="" business="" school="" there="" was="" someone="" in="" group="" from="" houston,="" texas!="">></in></p>

<p>LOL! My son is a sophomore (ENGR) and came from Houston. Actually, another kid from his graduating class is there too.</p>

<p>Glad you had a good visit!</p>

<p>you know after reading your recap I figured out that you must have been in the same i was in because I remember the girl that said she was from texas! In any case I agree with you on the presentation in the HUB they didn't say anything that I already did not know but the tour of the business school was awesome! Everyone seemed really happy to be there and I think overall you can't go wrong with penn state. The one thing I am unsure of is the lack of diversity at penn state.. I am guessing it has something to do with the location of the school but its still at the top of my list. I dont know how Penn State is with their financial aid so that is the only thing that I will be waiting on. I am an out of state student so Penn State is the only PA school I am looking at.
Good luck to you Pens1349!</p>

<p>Same to you Andrea! Hope everything works out with the financial aid.</p>