<p>Way to go, white people:</p>

<p>Sorority</a> Girls Drunkenly Trashed Underground Railroad Museum
More</a> Drunken Sorority Madness - May 25, 2010</p>

<p>Other delightful sorority parties:</p>

<p>Miami</a> University Had The Pukiest, Poopiest, Sexiest Spring Formal Ever
Pi</a> Beta Phi: The Party-Menace Sorority Of The Midwest</p>

<p>this is ridiculous.......</p>

<p>"pukiest, poopiest and sexiest" - eew - I'm not even going to look!!</p>

<p>Fortunately, the school suspended the Pi Phis for a year - no housing and no recruiting. The national will crack down on them too and they will likely be on probation when they return. When I was in school, the Sigma Nus were suspended for ramming the Kappa Sig house with a bulldozer.</p>

<p>Ah, their parents must be so proud.</p>

<p>I just don't get the allure of fraternities and sororities. I'm not gonna bash on them or anything, but I was able to have a group of friends, do community service, etc. without the formal structure of a sorority. I guess if my family had a long history with a particular organization I might want to carry on the tradition, but they didn't so I didn't. I'm just unclear what they offer that you can't get already. You can even get embarrassingly drunk and do stupid things without the collegiality of a fraternity or sorority -- I did that, too.</p>

<p>we debated this at length already earlier this year:</p>

<p><a href="http://talk.collegeconfidential.com/parents-forum/857749-disadvantages-joining-sorority.html?highlight=Disadvantages+joining+sorority%3F%5B/url%5D"&gt;http://talk.collegeconfidential.com/parents-forum/857749-disadvantages-joining-sorority.html?highlight=Disadvantages+joining+sorority%3F&lt;/a&gt;&lt;/p>

<p>This problem seems to be highly localized. Besides southern Ohio, do lots of sorority girls and their dates pee on national historic artifacts elsewhere?</p>

<p>Why in the world did they decide to hold their formals at museums? It would have been a better idea to hold them at the bottom of a drained pool.</p>

<p>LOL, I truly don't care enough about it to read 54 pages, but a post on the first page pointed out a couple of benefits I hadn't thought of (connections, for example), so I'll be happy with that.</p>

<p>LINYMOM and I didn't, as far I as know. Well, you never know with LINYMOM ... </p>

<p>I can see holding formals at museums -- we held ours in downtown Chicago hotels, but nowadays a lot of museums rent out formal spaces for parties so I don't see anything unusual about that. But ... some people have the class to go out and behave appropriately in public, and others don't. </p>

<p>And I'm so tired of having the overall Greek system blamed for the actions of a few. The issue here is not whether we broke a few rules, or took a few liberties with our female party guests. But you can't hold a whole fraternity responsible for the behavior of a few, sick twisted individuals. For if you do, then shouldn't we blame the whole fraternity system? And if the whole fraternity system is guilty, then isn't this an indictment of our educational institutions in general? I put it to you, College Confidential - isn't this an indictment of our entire American society? Well, you can do whatever you want to us, but we're not going to sit here and listen to you badmouth the United States of America. Gentlemen! </p>

<p>(with apologies to Otter and Animal House)</p>

<p>JHS and PizzaGirl are so funny. Thanks for the laughs!</p>

<p>Love the Animal House bit. Too funny.</p>

<p>We had our formals in the student union but we were poor.</p>

<p>Hey - drained pools are for sun bathing in March. Doesn't everyone know that?</p>

<p>Seriously. I'm not opposed to college kids getting all dressed up, drinking too much, and having sex with each other. I enjoyed those things, too, in my younger days, and some of them still sometimes. But the sort of wanton disrespect for other people (not to mention historic artifacts) in these stories -- where the heck does that come from? It's terribly wrong.</p>

<p>I just skimmed the materials, but didn't something in the museum letter say that they had been told that a party boat company wouldn't have them back? I know that museums and other non-profits probably need rental income, but perhaps they should have been more cautious.</p>

<p>Let me ask y'all this, totally taking it out of the Greek context. Have you ever been drunk enough to pee or poo or have sex in public? My friends and I drank a fair bit in college, but none of us ever skipped the bathroom or threw food or broke vases or statues or crawled under the table to get friendly. Is the assumption that, given enough alcohol, everyone would behave this way, or is there support in being in a group that behaves this way?</p>

<p>
[quote]
But the sort of wanton disrespect for other people (not to mention historic artifacts) in these stories -- where the heck does that come from? It's terribly wrong.

[/quote]
</p>

<p>JHS, we cross posted but I think we're both making the same point.</p>

<p>JHS, I think we are all in agreement with your serious points. In no way is that acceptable behavior anywhere. My daughter is in a sorority but I know she wouldn't be if her sisters behaved like that.</p>

<p>
[quote]
Have you ever been drunk enough to pee or poo or have sex in public?

[/quote]
</p>

<p>No. </p>

<p>I blame MTV. And "reality tv". Things that I find shocking are not out of the ordinary to many of young people I know. I think they've become desensitized to what I would consider normal standards of decency and good behavior.</p>

<p>To be fair, I didn't read about anyone having sex in public. They were in closets, or breaking into separate rental cottages, to have sex. But I didn't read all that closely, so maybe I missed some public sex. The public everything else was too tawdry and depressing to focus on.</p>

<p>I feel sorry for these kids. These parties didn't sound like a lot of fun. If this is what they think of as a good time, they are missing out.</p>

<p>I think there was one couple under a table and other that broke a utility sink (so that must have been in a side room.) One couple was being "cheered on" but I don't recall where they were.</p>

<p>I guess one "advantage" a party bus is that it allows the revelers to arrive at the party smashed.</p>

<p>
[quote]
LINYMOM and I didn't, as far I as know. Well, you never know with LINYMOM ...

[/quote]
</p>

<p>I didn't read 54 pages. I posted the link so we don't have to do that all over again....</p>